Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm comming up on 100k miles on my 08gt and Ill be taking a long road trip this summer I'm planning to upgrade/replace suspension parts to be safe/reliable and have a better handling car of course! My car is bone stock and nothing has failed yet :patriot:

Heres my plan so far
-Brakeperformance slotted rotors + Hawk HPS pads
-Stainless steel brake lines
-BC racing Coilovers 9k/12k w/ poly stutmount bushings/bearings replaced
-Rotofab CAI
-Sparkplugs/wires
-Flush/replace ALL fluids (Power steering, rear diff, transmission, brake, coolant)

My question to you guys is this... What else should I replace, I'm particularly curious about other bushings or if I should also replace tie/toe rods while I'm at it, or if you think I'm buying something thats not needed let me know!

If you can think of any other parts that get "tired" or wear over time let me know.. also as far as fluids any recommendations on whats best for street use I really only want to get the best quality stuff for my car.

My goal is a car with super sharp handling, My previous car was an RX-8(R.I.P) and I love the power here but missing a bit of that steering feel, I want to make this car last forever so welcome to all ideas!

Thanks a bunch guys
-stayfrosty

·
GXPanther
831 Posts
add BMR sways. not that your old ones wear out, but they will provide a substantially better handling. you will notice it immediately. be sure and use a quality grease or they will squeak.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
i think your plans are pretty solid. However, I'm not sure I'd put a lot of money into a suspension on a car with 100k on it. That's just me though.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
i think your plans are pretty solid. However, I'm not sure I'd put a lot of money into a suspension on a car with 100k on it. That's just me though.

Kind of ironic, most mechanics would say you're nuts to put money into suspension work on cars w/ LESS than 100,000 miles on them, since the stock parts "should" be fine up until around then.

If you plan on keeping the car for a few more years a suspension and brake overhaul will make it feel like (or better than) new again.

Mine has 111,000 on it - I did all of the things you are listing between 75 and present mileage...I just recently overhauled the brakes for the 3rd time (counting the original stock equip)

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I guess what I meant was, he's upgrading suspension; not just swapping out stock. For the money he'd have to drive it a while in my opinion for it to be worth it as money for other things that other powertrain things that will begin to fail around 100k might be needed.

·
NC
122 Posts
Hi I'm comming up on 100k miles on my 08gt and Ill be taking a long road trip this summer I'm planning to upgrade/replace suspension parts to be safe/reliable and have a better handling car of course! My car is bone stock and nothing has failed yet :patriot:

Heres my plan so far
-Brakeperformance slotted rotors + Hawk HPS pads
-Stainless steel brake lines
-BC racing Coilovers 9k/12k w/ poly stutmount bushings/bearings replaced
-Rotofab CAI
-Sparkplugs/wires
-Flush/replace ALL fluids (Power steering, rear diff, transmission, brake, coolant)

My question to you guys is this... What else should I replace, I'm particularly curious about other bushings or if I should also replace tie/toe rods while I'm at it, or if you think I'm buying something thats not needed let me know!

If you can think of any other parts that get "tired" or wear over time let me know.. also as far as fluids any recommendations on whats best for street use I really only want to get the best quality stuff for my car.

My goal is a car with super sharp handling, My previous car was an RX-8(R.I.P) and I love the power here but missing a bit of that steering feel, I want to make this car last forever so welcome to all ideas!

Thanks a bunch guys
-stayfrosty

- Don't forget about gaskets and seals (particularly door, window and Roof)... I'm having to get mine replaced (not original owner )

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
I would not flush the tranny at that high of mileage, just change the fluid with the proper fluid. May as well go ahead an upgrade the pan and filter to the Camaro big mouth (See Pace Performance for kit), and the stock plug wires should be fine unless they are burnt IMO.

Add:
Rear cradle inserts
Rear toe rods and trailing arms with poly bushings (BMR)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Loving the input, I do plan on keeping the car for quite some time. For tires i have nitto nt555 they are nice i have no complaints.

I was thinking about the camaro pan/filter but couldn't quite decide yet.

I think I will end up getting the bmr sways too.

My door seals are all like brand new.

As far as other powertrain issues I want to get a dod delete + cam but wont have money for that til next year tax time! My lifters tick a bit when its really cold( I'm in buffalo NY) but once it warms up they are fine so it seems normal. This car has been great no issues, my only gripe is there is one pully that squeaks occasionally and I cant figure out which one it is =/

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a follow up... its been rainy but should have a nice sunday/monday so i'll finish everything then.

I've finished the rear work got the BMR rear swaybar and new endlinks the bc racing coilovers installed and WOW is all I can say what a massive difference she corners flat and when I pound it the tires spin with zero wheel hop its amazing how much more controlled the car feels, even in powerslide you get much more feedback from the rear I'm in love...

I got the rotofab CAI installed as well.. I did this thinking I might get a few more hp but mostly cause it looks cool and gives easy access to the AC pully for when that pops off(which is all the time), but the one thing people don't tell you is the noise it adds!! Its glorious v8 blurble on acceleration. It also made me realize what all those little compartments were on the stock intake, they are resonance chambers for sound, not sure if thats been talked about much but I think its interesting they would add those to quiet it down.

One last note that may be interesting as well.... I got 4 gallons of white plasti dip and Im going to plasti dip my whole car :p

·
GXPanther
831 Posts
if you find CP on the other board he sells an upgraded bracket from down under that will keep your AC belt from coming off. mine was coming off all the time! since the upgraded pulley and tensioner it hasn't come once.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Plasti-dip the whole car? Damn.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yea that's the plan I have 4 gallons of white I am gonna paint the wheels, hoot vents, handles black and rest white matte, I hope it turns out well if it does Ill post some pictures

·
Registered
596 Posts
Please don't. White plastidip is not good for painting cars. My buddy just did his bike and took 14 cans and still can see the blue under it. The dip is really thin an runs easily. Also grabs dirt and oils of your skin like glue. It is impossible to stay clean and shows everything. Please please please do not do it!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well I already have the stuff... only will take a day to paint and the beauty of plasti dip if you dont like it peel it off im using actual gallon cans and a paint sprayer not the rattlecans not sure if this is different

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Just a follow up... its been rainy but should have a nice sunday/monday so i'll finish everything then.

I've finished the rear work got the BMR rear swaybar and new endlinks the bc racing coilovers installed and WOW is all I can say what a massive difference she corners flat and when I pound it the tires spin with zero wheel hop its amazing how much more controlled the car feels, even in powerslide you get much more feedback from the rear I'm in love...

I got the rotofab CAI installed as well.. I did this thinking I might get a few more hp but mostly cause it looks cool and gives easy access to the AC pully for when that pops off(which is all the time), but the one thing people don't tell you is the noise it adds!! Its glorious v8 blurble on acceleration. It also made me realize what all those little compartments were on the stock intake, they are resonance chambers for sound, not sure if thats been talked about much but I think its interesting they would add those to quiet it down.

One last note that may be interesting as well.... I got 4 gallons of white plasti dip and Im going to plasti dip my whole car :p

I am glad that the BMR parts you order are working out well for you! :D

If you decide you need any other BMR part let us know and we will get you taken care of.

·
GXPanther
831 Posts
well I already have the stuff... only will take a day to paint and the beauty of plasti dip if you dont like it peel it off im using actual gallon cans and a paint sprayer not the rattlecans not sure if this is different
this sounds worse than new coke.

i do like the idea of flat/matte black or white. you should have it wrapped in vinyl if thats what you want

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
How often should the fuel filter be replaced?

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
this sounds worse than new coke.

i do like the idea of flat/matte black or white. you should have it wrapped in vinyl if thats what you want
Please don't. White plastidip is not good for painting cars. My buddy just did his bike and took 14 cans and still can see the blue under it. The dip is really thin an runs easily. Also grabs dirt and oils of your skin like glue. It is impossible to stay clean and shows everything. Please please please do not do it!!
There's been threads here or the other boards where a member did the same; it actually came out really good. Looks great, and IMO, try it as you said you can easily remove it if it's not satisfactory.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts