Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago I lost power to a GPS unit in my 2009 G9 GT. I thought the unit was bad, as it was pretty old. Never had a use for the 12v outlets and they weren't used. Recently I bought a phone charger for my wife, and no power. I checked the f13, f14, and f22 fuses and all were ok.
I took it for granted that the issue must be a bad power outlet itself. Its my wife's car, I never drive it. Anyway I ordered a new outlet from gmparts.com and put it in Sunday. Still no luck. I checked on this forum and realized there was another outlet in the console. No power there either.
I read earlier about the Rp2 and Rp7 relays possibly being bad. I got up under the dash and got the part number, and ordered a new gm relay. I have no dammed idea what else it could be.
Anyways, is there an easier way to access those relays other than taking the whole panel off from the drivers door forward? I'm not sure exactly how to get those relays out and reinstalled, as they are way up above the opening for the fuse panel.
Any help will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,679 Posts
The car should have two accessory power outlets. One under the climate controls and one under the center console lid. Is neither accessory power outlet working? If so try swapping relay R1 (retain accessory power 1) with relay R9 (blower) and see if the climate control blower works. Next, see if the either of the auxiliary power outlets function with the ignition key turned to on perchance accessory as well. If not, then swap R9 (blower) with R7 (retain accessory power 2) and see if the blower motor still works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car should have two accessory power outlets. One under the climate controls and one under the center console lid. Is neither accessory power outlet working? If so try swapping relay R1 (retain accessory power 1) with relay R9 (blower) and see if the climate control blower works. Next, see if the either of the auxiliary power outlets function with the ignition key turned to on perchance accessory as well. If not, then swap R9 (blower) with R7 (retain accessory power 2) and see if the blower motor still works.
Everything else works in the car but the accessory outlets. I hadn't realized there was another outlet in the console. I bought the car new in 09 and it just turned 32k miles. My wife uses it. Once I started grinding it down on the forum posts, I checked everything that was mentioned BUT haven't pulled any of the relays yet.
The mirrors work, windows, locks, everything is OK but those 2 accessories outlets. The one under the climate controls I replaced the other day, as the fuses checked out ok. I have a new relay but was wondering how to get them out because they are all located up under the panel at the top of the access door.
It looks like the relays are buried behind the drivers kick panel and the access door isn't large enough to access them.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
If your positive fuse F14-20A is good, then the R7 (retained accessory power) relay must have failed. Doesn't really look that hard to remove an replace. Maybe (for drop protection) you should surround all areas below the fuse panel with small rags to catch any relay or fuse that might loose traction from your fingers during the T/S

·
Premium Member
7,679 Posts
Be sure to not only visually inspect the fuses and verify they're not blown but ensure both sides have power/continuity.

Reactions: Sandhog

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If your positive fuse F14-20A is good, then the R7 (retained accessory power) relay must have failed. Doesn't really look that hard to remove an replace. Maybe (for drop protection) you should surround all areas below the fuse panel with small rags to catch any relay or fuse that might loose traction from your fingers during the T/S
Before tearing into anything, I like to have everything I need to cover a worse case scenario. I know it sounds like I must be a no mechanical putz, but thats not the case. I do my own rebuilds on Harleys, but cars are a different breed these days.
I try to cover all my bases rather than trying to find non existent parts from Autozone at 9pm.
I appreciate all the help and replies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gentlemen, thank you for your help. I just changed the R7 relay and it fixed the problem.

·
Premium Member
7,679 Posts
Good deal and you're welcome. Too bad the accessory power outlet isn't returnable considering it's a previously installed electrical part.

Reactions: Sandhog
1 - 9 of 9 Posts