Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently got a torq10fx on sale from chemical guys with the full starter kit (fine, medium and heavy cutting pads, and compounds and polishes). So being new to the polishing world I decided not to use any of the heavier compounds included in the kit and stick to the polishes. I ended up using the v36 and v38 followed by zaino AIO, Z5,Z6, and Z8. After the better part of a week (all nights) I backed the car out of the garage to admire my work. Funny thing is, it doesn't really look any better than it did before. I can tell getting closer to the car a lot of the swirl marks and scratches are gone, (recently found out I had been washing cars completely wrong for the last 15 years, now I use the two bucket method and a good wash mit) but from more than a couple feet away the car looks almost exactly the same. I know the paint on this car isn't amazing, I feel like I have more orange peel than some of the other G8's, but wet sanding is a bit too scary for me right now. What do you guys think? Should I use some different product that might make a bigger impact? I'm open to suggestions.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
OK so it is polished and many swirl marks are removed. What glaze and wax have you applied?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I currently use the zaino line, so I did the Z-5 show car polish, followed by the Z-6 gloss enhancer, followed by Z-8 grand finale spray. I don't currently have any glazes (maybe the z-AIO is a type of glaze?). I have liked the zaino line for a long time, but might be time to look at something else. Their line is a bit different than most, They don't have their wax listed as wax, so maybe I've got something wrong there too?

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
Did you do a test panel first to figure out what polish/pad combo to use? If your lighting was poor, you probably didn't see the depth of the damage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not do a test panel because I already knew this being the first time polishing I didn't want to do anything too heavy. What I did was the v-36 polish with an orange cutting pad and the v-38 with a white polishing pad. I'm sure I could go back and get more scratches out with a heavier compound, but I thought I might try that out first on an older car I don't care about as much before I did the G8.

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
Have you watched the Adams Polishes or Junkman's videos. Might be you're not working the polish long enough.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Watch this video to get a good understanding on what each component of your kit does and it should explain why you didn't see much improvement (only using polish)

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
I'd never recommend a person who has never had buffing experience to buy all kinds of products and go to town. I would at the least watch the ammo nyc vidoes. He has a ton of vidoes and is exellent in explaining things and demonstrating how to detail. I've been at it for a long time and you have to be careful who you receive your advice from. Larry gets my recommendation. Also he isn't about selling his products. Which I also like.

There's lots to know. There is nothing like a hands on training class but the ammo nyc vids will definitely help.

Good luck in the future!

·
Registered
209 Posts
check out some forums like autopia.org and autogeekonline.net
Patience and practice, if you can find someone local on the forums that details maybe ask to hangout and learn that is how I got started and developed great friendships

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Polish alone will not net you great results. You need to polish, wax, protect, and glaze.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I've seen almost all of ammo's videos as well as chemical guys and some others. Tried to do my research really well before I started anything. And like I said I only used a softer polish cause I didn't want to do anything with too much cutting power. Thanks for the video swargolet, gave me a little more info than I had.

So does anyone use the zaino line? Should I be trying something else to get better results? Or do you guys think judging by the pic that it's about as good as its gonna get without wet sanding(which I am not going to attempt)

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
You really don't need a heavy compound on any newer car, so you were right there. I've been using a porter cable for a few years now and some menzerna products. Your head will spin if you try to find the best "brand". I don't think you can really go all that wrong with any of them if you're just an average joe working on your car.

But I do highly recommend the polish and sealant approach. I use to carnuba before I learned bout sealant. I've also had better results using a claybar first. There are of course options to do a wax and glaze in there as well, but I'm more than happy with the many hours just the wash, clay and 2 step results in. A year later since my last detail on the g8 and I still have great beading.

Check out autogeek. Some real good advice and decent prices over there. As some other have said, start small and build from there. Also be careful around the plastic bits like our grill. Ask me how I learned that lesson :crying:

oh and yes, our paint sucks, but it does shine up nice. It's the chipping that no buff will cure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I hear that, I put a bra on the car anytime I go out of town with it. It's probably saved me a lot of rock chips in the past 6 years. Now if I could get the kids to stop nailing the door with the other cars door 😡. Thanks for the advice, I'll look around that site for some advice. And I almost found out about the plastic the hard way too, luckily I watched an ammo video the morning that I went to start polishing!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am getting ready to do this. I just did my WS6 and will be doing this same process. M105, m205 followed by sealant.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I get excellent results from Adams three step paint correction, sealant, and buttery wax. All applied with my cyclo polisher. That machine alone is worth every penny.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
17, 11:37 AM*Thread Starter

JustinpG8

Yeah I've seen almost all of ammo's videos as well as chemical guys and some others. Tried to do my research really well before I started anything. And like I said I only used a softer polish cause I didn't want to do anything with too much cutting power. Thanks for the video swargolet, gave me a little more info than I had.

So does anyone use the zaino line? Should I be trying something else to get better results? Or do you guys think judging by the pic that it's about as good as its gonna get without wet sanding(which I am not going to attempt)
Glad to hear you've been watching the vids. I don't blame you for not going crazy. There's a good chance it needs a serious compound and there's more risk there then just polishing. Maybe find someone in the family with a beater car to practice buffing on or take her into a reputable detail shop and then maintain her from there on.

Is the orange peel that noticeable? I can see it in mine but I only see it looking at it at the right angle in perfect sunlight. I'm not worried. I'm waiting for a time when I may need to do some major correction due to a heavy scratch to tackle the orange peel. You don't want to remove to much paint , so I'll wait till then and keep compounding to a minimum . Things like that (in my circumstance) are so hard to see and doesn't cause damage. but if you can see it easily, then maybe your car has been painted for some reason and don't blame you for wanting to take care of that.

I myself haven't used zaino stuff but people seem to like em. There's so many different companies out there. Alot of them are good. I've used commercial stuff at work that's worked quite well.

I'm partial to mothers and meguires. Just bought a finishing wax from meguires that I'm going to try on a family members car. See how it works. Its an aerosol spray that wipes on and wipes off in seconds. I'm normally skeptical of stuff like this but its meguires and it was on sale, so I figured I'd give it a try.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts