Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am curious on the pros and cons of running 18s vs 19s set-up. I would plan to drop the car on FE3s and Eichbachs, and Im sure the wheel weights would roughly be the same, possibly looking at some VMRs....8.5 in the front 9.5 in the rears.

I have seen some switch from 19s down to 18s, curious as to why and what beneftits it may provide. Both sizes were running the same series sidewall on tires, I know the 19s will fill the wheel wells alot better, what are your guys thoughts and input.

·
Enthusiast
976 Posts
Pro 18- cheaper, lighter, more rim protection
Con 18- don't look as cool, personal preference

Pro 19- look like the perfect size for the car
Cons19- cost more, easier than you'd think to bend a rim, heavier

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
The 18s will have the advantage in comfort over cracks and other road imperfections. And believe me it does make a difference as most of our roads in the NE are pitiful. So unless you have perfect roads, you will feel the difference (especially any females that regularly ride in the car but that's a separate discussion)

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
My 19" summer combo is around 20 lbs lighter than my stock 18" winter setup. Less unsprung weight makes a huge difference in acceleration, handling, braking, etc. Less weight can make it more comfortable too, leting the suspension do it's job more effectively.

My point is, going 19s over 18s can have it's benefits, but as with anything that's bigger AND better, cost will become an issue to consider.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
My 19" summer combo is around 20 lbs lighter than my stock 18" winter setup. Less unsprung weight makes a huge difference in acceleration, handling, braking, etc. Less weight can make it more comfortable too, leting the suspension do it's job more effectively.

My point is, going 19s over 18s can have it's benefits, but as with anything that's bigger AND better, cost will become an issue to consider.
Seems odd... but you are talking about aftermarket 19" versus stock 18"....???? if you compared aftermarket 18" vs 19" then the 18" would weigh less..... apples to apples.... stock wheels are just heavy... :)

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Seems odd... but you are talking about aftermarket 19" versus stock 18"....???? if you compared aftermarket 18" vs 19" then the 18" would weigh less..... apples to apples.... stock wheels are just heavy... :)
Yes, aftermarket. I wasn't sure if the OP specified stock vs stock. Yes, the stocks are quite heavy, but also well made. However you can easily find aftermarket 19"s that are lighter than aftermarket 18"s depending on how much you want to spend. I guess the same goes for any size.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
18" tires are way cheaper, way more options. (ie Drag Radials!).

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am looking into some VMRs right now. I am currently running the Maro 20s and know they are way heavier over my stock 19s. I felt the difference right away once I installed them, they have been ok for a while now, but it's time for a change.
I know the 18s wil be more comfortable and cheaper while the 19s might provide a more balanced aesthetic look in filling out the wheel wells. Guess I just need to look some more at car pics to see what will work best for what I want to do.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Check out the gallery on velocitymotoring.com, that'll give you a good idea.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been in there alot looking around, pretty much have my mind made up on style and finish. I keep looking at your car Rawyzf, trying to gauge the differences in your past sit-ups and how they looked.
My streets are pretty tame, not us rough as up north, and I will be doing a track event 1-2 times/yr. Car more of a weekend toy right now but will be my DD again soon once all is said and done. I am leaning towards the 19s staggered, I think it will just flow better.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Like others have said, the tire cost between 18s and 19s can be quite significant in some instances. Dropping a $G$ on tires gets old every other year, but I absolutely am in love with the way the 19 inch rim looks on our rides. I would even venture to a 20 before a 18. Just my preference.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Well, you guys know how I roll. Function > Form for me.

I have heard that you get much better tire choices in 18" or 20". 19" seems to be a bit of a bastard rim size. Maybe things are better now than a couple of years ago.

I do have two serious recommendations:

1. Don't cheap out. Get a quality wheel with a STRONG rim and a LIGHT weight. My Enkei's (racing series with the spin-forged "MAT" rim) have held up great -- including some ugly pothole impacts. Many other great companies as well, but the rims that will hold up over the long haul and deliver performance will never be the cheapos.

2. Don't be silly with sidewall size. A certain amount of sidewall flex is an integral part of the suspension design. Sidewalls also protect your non-cheapo wheels. The V8 Supercar series rolls with 17's and ~50 series R-compounds. Food for thought.

Great Function = Classic Beauty, it never goes out of style.

Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.