1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is quite cool :)

http://www.dogfightmag.com/2010/08/a-1964-fairlane-hits-nurburgring/

From the site:

This is RAD. Some schmuck got enough balls and cash together in order to get his Holman Moody prepared 1964 Ford Fairlane 500 to Germany. The final goal? Attack Nurburgring.

Now, typically when you watch in-car “Ring” videos you hear small displacement motors with lots of valves screaming in a high pitched tone while you watch the driver smoothly caress the car through the track. It’s a ballet of sorts.

This is something different. This is an American monster literally attacking the track while the driver does his best to contain the power within. It’s not a ballet, it’s a war.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Wow! That was coool! Was that speed accurate? That's cool.
Thanks for posting that!

·
Knemo-schwine-aie-he-how
735 Posts
That's not "the ring", not the full ring. I think that's some smaller version of the track, he only got on the full "ring" about halfway into the video. Video cuts off before he gets to get even halfway on the real ring.

Still impressive driving for a car like that. And VERY nice car control once he got on the actual ring.

·
What A Hoser Eh?
408 Posts
That's not "the ring", not the full ring. I think that's some smaller version of the track, he only got on the full "ring" about halfway into the video. Video cuts off before he gets to get even halfway on the real ring.

Still impressive driving for a car like that. And VERY nice car control once he got on the actual ring.
Not to sound like a jerk but that is the "real" ring. It's the north ring and the smaller f1 circuit combined. You are thinking of Nordschleife or the north ring alone.

·
Knemo-schwine-aie-he-how
735 Posts
Not to sound like a jerk but that is the "real" ring. It's the north ring and the smaller f1 circuit combined. You are thinking of Nordschleife or the north ring alone.
Ahh I was thinking of the Nordschleife, not the ring. I suppose the terminology is just different. I've heard many many people call the entire 14 mile circuit "the ring". I don't recall what the F1 circuit is called... Meh whatever.

I still want to drive the Nordschleife though... It looks SO freaking fun, though watching out for other drivers seems to be extremely nerve racking.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I had a 64 Fairlane 500 4dr w/289 auto and it didn't run or sound nearly as cool as that.

·
Registered
225 Posts
There is a story by one of the old NASCAR Driver's about doing LeMans in similar car, maybe the same car. He said the Europeans were used to the small body, small engine Euro car's at LeMan's, so the people would just setup tables BY the roadside to watch the race. He said after the first lap of the Holman-Moody car had blown everyones' tables over the spectator's moved everything back about fifteen feet. The story has a little more impact after seeing and hearing that video!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
JimmyJazz
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing