Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
understeer
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a thread up on the other board showing my progress through this whole process. Thought I'd make a quick post here to share my experiences with you guys as well.

Specs:
Front: 19x8.5 ET35 with 255/40/19 BFG G-force sport comp 2
Rear: 19x9.5 ET40 with 285/35/19 BFG G-force sport comp 2

Fenders were rolled flush with about a 3/8" pull on the back. Bumper bracket has not been trimmed yet, and i have not rubbed yet either.

They are very similar in design pattern to the GXP and CTS-V wheels.

For starters, the fronts fit the G8 GT stock wheels perfectly. No clearance issues and a boatload of room from the stock callipers. Although the flange seems to taper up and out from the hub, so there may be clearance issues from the Brembo....I tried to take a side shot to demonstrate this. So for anyone wanting a GXP look could go with this wheel easily all around.

Secondly, the 9.5 ET40 rears are not a direct fitment if you want to use the provided centrecap. OR...you could do a hackjob and make it fit. For starters the centrecap does not fit because of 2 issues; 1-the axle stud sticks out too far and 2- the narrow hub conflicts with the retainer tabs on the centrecap.
Here is how I made it work.
1- I ground down the taper on the axle stud (sorry no pic)
2- I milled out the back of the centre cap on the lathe.

Didn't quite fit, was missing about 1/16 of an inch, and now the conflict was the hub...
3-Filed down the tabs on the centrecap....eh voila.

So now the caps fit, and it looks much nicer.
Got home from my Grandpas and run some suds over the car now that the snow has remelted...again.

Some pics..

·
understeer
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Front caliper to wheel spacing

And these 2 pictures show the fender pull on the left side...I don't know why I didn't snap any pics of the right...but it looks the same...

Enjoy. Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
These wheels look fantastic on your car, especially on the SRM. Nice write-up on your experiences as well!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
Im liking em. Idk that I would compare them to cts or gxp wheels but I think they look better than those wheels as well.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Nice look! I am subscribed to Avant Garde's Facebook page and see this wheel constantly being shown off on Audi's.

·
Registered
805 Posts
How do you like the tires? I'm putting a set on my M310's this week.

·
understeer
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im liking em. Idk that I would compare them to cts or gxp wheels but I think they look better than those wheels as well.
Youre right they are different. By similar I am refering to spoke design...wide split 5 spoke.

Thanks for all the compliments guys.

How do you like the tires? I'm putting a set on my M310's this week.
Tires seem good...still cold up here to really test out. They are quiet and awesome in rain and look sexy. Pricing was great.

Notice a slight pull or dartiness over small bumps from the steering...not sure if just the wide tread or what. Its not specific to direction..sometimes left...sometimes right.

·
1FASTG8GT
750 Posts
I like them a lot, car looks great.

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
Man, perfect decision on offset and tire sizes! I think I like the 8.5" front with the 35mm offset most.
I have new tires on order and am now even more excited after seeing how good your car looks!
I will have 20" wheels. The front specs will be the same as yours. The rears will be a 10" wheel but with 45mm offset, but I got Michelin Pilot SS which are a bit narrower 285 tire. So, it should be pretty close to what you have.

Nice job!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I love the wheels! They look awesome!

I'm also digging the IH tractor in the first pic! I rode with my grandpa for many hours on one of those when I was kid! Good times! Wish he was still around...

·
understeer
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love the wheels! They look awesome!

I'm also digging the IH tractor in the first pic! I rode with my grandpa for many hours on one of those when I was kid! Good times! Wish he was still around...

My grandpa just finish restoration on that one, its a 194X farmall H with a loader (loader still in the works of restoration).

He's also done a W-4, A, C, a cub, and a 192X steel wheeled mccormick deereing gem of a 2cylinder. All really well done in his garage at home. Thing sounds unreal for like 10hp or whatever its rated at.

·
Registered
51 Posts
looks great with the new wheels. the rear looks mean with those BFG's & the concave wheels.

·
Registered
319 Posts
This maybe a dumb question but I have the same exact set up except I have the TSW nurburgrings with a 41 offset in the rear. What is fender pull and how is it done? How did you roll the rear fenders? I noticed I only rub when I hit a bump with passengers/weight in the back or if I turn into a parking lot that has an incline.

·
understeer
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This maybe a dumb question but I have the same exact set up except I have the TSW nurburgrings with a 41 offset in the rear. What is fender pull and how is it done? How did you roll the rear fenders? I noticed I only rub when I hit a bump with passengers/weight in the back or if I turn into a parking lot that has an incline.
I paid someone with a fender roller to roll the inside lip up flat.he also added a slight pull in the process. The heat from thr process softens everything to enable the metal to stretch a bit...once it cools it assumes its new shape for good.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Oh man! Looks amazing! I was waiting for someone to order these and put them on! Congrats man, they really look good! You just did a fender roll in the front and rear?

·
understeer
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh man! Looks amazing! I was waiting for someone to order these and put them on! Congrats man, they really look good! You just did a fender roll in the front and rear?
Thanks Elliot, a while back I was messaging you about these wheels, but due to duties, shipping and brokerage i saved quite a bit by sourcing them locally.

Fender roll and pull in the rear only, bumper bracket is still stock. I am stock height for now, and have not rubbed yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts