Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok just wanted to tell you about my first drive in the snow with my G8
(bought july 2012) Found out the stability control is useless actually made it worse and got stuck. Im only driving it cause my other car is down. With the stability control off i was able to get it unstuck and wow. I wont be driving in winter for long but still loved it when I had to turn around LOL. Oh and no snow tires da**it I got about 10-12 cms of snow last night.:eek:

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I had a M45 and it was impossible to drive. I guess this is going to be the same.

Sent from my Inspire using Autoguide.com

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya i was warned their not good in the snow but fun as hell being a RWD.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes of coarse i wouldnt take that chace with this car I had a few open flat spots didnt rev it up much either which was great and I wasnt going crazy. Dont want to hurt my G8. LOL

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
I got a foot of snow last night and was out most of the night galavanting in it trying to get stuck.

Had a great time.

Also have Hankook Icebears, so that made my car stick to the snow and ice and kept me in complete control. :( Well, until I turned off ESC with the button, then some fun was to be had. :D

Might want to invest in winter tires. They do wonders for these cars.

I thought Canada had a law that you NEED to have winter tires between certain dates?

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya tires would I wasnt going to drive it in the winter but my Malibu cat is plugged and it split the exhaust manifold in half so with xmas couldnt afford to fix it but i will fix it in january. Hope no more dam snow til then LOL

·
Registered
364 Posts
Mine's sitting nice and comfy in a warm warehouse! WILL NOT SEE SNOW!!! To many objects to run into!

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya I worried about other people i know how to drive in this crap but so many people dont especially in the town i live in but had no choice today wife had to work and she doesnt want to hurt the car so I drove her.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Being on my second winter with the G8, i think it's one of the best cars I've ever driven in the snow. I think the 50/50 split really helps the communication being chassis and driver. ESP off to get out of the deep stuff, then switched back on when cruising about town. It's when you need to do a sudden avoidance, that the ESP will do wonders.

I even went to my favourite parking lot this morning to have a little fun. Try it and you'll see why I think Stabilitrac is one of the best systems out there. It reigned the car in perfectly during some power slides. With it off, a few 360s were expected.

I'm also running Nokian WRs high performance all weather tires. Not quite dedicated snows, but still really good in these conditions.

The G8 is great in the winter and will always laugh in the face of the white stuff.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I thought Canada had a law that you NEED to have winter tires between certain dates?
Only the province of Quebec mandates snow tires. Personally, I think every province (and state, for that matter, that has to deal with harsh winters) should pass a law that requires winter tires on EVERY vehicle.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Driving in snow rebuttal

My G8 is a daily driver and I live in Buffalo, NY (please, no Bills jokes!)...had about a foot and a half of snow over the last day. I have some Nokian snow tires and I don't have any issues in driving my G8 in the snow, ESP on or off.

I learned to drive with rear wheel drive and actually prefer it to front wheel drive. I think that many have forgotten how to drive a rear wheel drive vehicle in the snow and have been brainwashed into FWD think.

Give me RWD, hang the ass-end out in a turn and just drive within your limits...as Clint used to say, "A man has to got to know his limitations..."

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya thats true bro i enjoyed myself in it and will again when i pick up the wife. Would rather not drive to the west end of Toronto where i work in the car toooooo many idiots.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
My G8 is a daily driver and I live in Buffalo, NY (please, no Bills jokes!)...had about a foot and a half of snow over the last day. I have some Nokian snow tires and I don't have any issues in driving my G8 in the snow, ESP on or off.

I learned to drive with rear wheel drive and actually prefer it to front wheel drive. I think that many have forgotten how to drive a rear wheel drive vehicle in the snow and have been brainwashed into FWD think.

Give me RWD, hang the ass-end out in a turn and just drive within your limits...as Clint used to say, "A man has to got to know his limitations..."
I endorse this post.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so true

·
09 SBM G8 GT
261 Posts
i thought for sure i was going to have to bring the G8 out of winter stroage last night..my 96 satrun sl2 was misfiing, went to go take out the plug, the thred was stuck in the head while the rest was in the spark plug wire...last thing i wanted to do was take out the g8..exspecially with the Nitto INVOs on the rear and knowing the thing hasnt seen snow in its life..it wouldnt know what to do LOL was determined so i went to advanced got the necesary tool, and got it out, threw a new plug in and i was out and about...im from the same area as Zepcom...and let me tell you, i had some FWD fun last night lol going past 4x4 and jeeps like there were standing still

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ya certainly was fun my Malibu is moded and has winter tires FWD i was passing 4X4s also but more fun in the G8 but wont have it out in the winter next year.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Hey fellow buffaloneans ... we should meet up and I can show ya what a properly equipped winter beater, er umm, I mean g8 can do in the white stuff. I really love driving this car year round. Will it rust out? Sure, nothing lasts forever. But will I have fun in the meantime? You bet!

I thought Nick drove the blue one through the first two winters. Then he garaged it after that?

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts

Give me RWD, hang the ass-end out in a turn and just drive within your limits...as Clint used to say, "A man has to got to know his limitations..."[/QUOTE]

That my feeling to , back when you had to LEARN how to drive a REAL car in the massive snows we would get back in the day....

·
Registered
223 Posts
Mine is parked in driveway under cover till warmer weather.. no salt for me.. till then ill beat my RWD Catera..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts