Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to install aftermarket 2 ohm speakers. Looked thru threads but couldn't find any information. Want to keep the factory 2 ohms to match the amplifier, as I've heard 4 ohms would suppress the sound. Anyone have any luck finding good speakers? Thanks

·
Registered
302 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just replaced the 6.5 in the doors with a set of Kickers and didnt pay to much attention to the ohm ratings. They sound great compared to the factory paper speakers that were blown. These bolted right up in the existing mounting plates and sound amazing in my opinion.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kicker...lene-cones-pair-black/5678403.p?skuId=5678403
Ok thanks. So the kickers were just a straight drop in with no issues?

·
Premium Member
4,810 Posts
Most folks just go 4 ohm. Some find that the 2 ohm center speaker is a bit loud after that and put in an inline resistor. Search forum for resistor mod.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most folks just go 4 ohm. Some find that the 2 ohm center speaker is a bit loud after that and put in an inline resistor. Search forum for resistor mod.
Thanks fellas

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
In addition to above recommendations, increasing volume can be accomplished by properly insulating the doors for sound as well as decoupling the speaker from the door panel. You should insulate the inner part of the outside sheet metal, and the outer part of the bare door panel. Decoupling just means that you have insulating materials between the speaker and the door panels.

There are various methods that you can research using a few different materials. It's all meant to cancel out vibrations and to focus the sound to the cabin instead of elsewhere.

This will quiet the cabin and block more outside NVH while also reducing distortion and interference created by the speaker's own vibrations through the panel. That alone will yield a net increase in sound. :)

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
My favorite for 2 ohm is the Infinity Reference.

·
Registered
109 Posts
years ago i had to do this in a GT i had. Went with Polk DB651S -- seemed to be the forums speaker of choice for basic factory replacement at the time. I vaguely remember being totally fine with that.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I used the Polk DB 651 full size in front for a little more bass they fit fine in front but I had to use the DB651s in the rear for a factory fit .The combo sounds great in my opinion

·
Registered
302 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking to install aftermarket 2 ohm speakers. Looked thru threads but couldn't find any information. Want to keep the factory 2 ohms to match the amplifier, as I've heard 4 ohms would suppress the sound. Anyone have any luck finding good speakers? Thanks
Can anyone tell me if these will fit okay and if 2.7 ohm is okay to use:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts