Put 20" for V6?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it, what you think of 20" wheels on the V6?

Highly appreciating feedback if you have really put 20s on G8 V6, how was it in performance, fuel consumption, handling, and ride?!

·
Registered
682 Posts
20's are only going to slow you down, ride rougher, cost more and handle worse. IMO.
^^^^ Agree ^^^^ I would do 19" if I were going with aftermarket wheels but certainly not 20". Not enough sidewall height for my taste.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
19" wheels are the perfect fit for a G8

·
Northeast G8 Owners Club
110 Posts
I have 20's on mine and I love them! The ride hasnt changed much in my opinion. Yeah you have to keep an eye out for potholes but I don't think it's that big of a deal. However, they have affected by MPG a little bit but not by much. All in all, 20's aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be...IMO. Good luck with whatever you decide and enjoy!

·
Registered
426 Posts
um have eaither of you driven on 20's? judging buy your comments i'm gonna go with no

depending on your budget you can get 20's that are lighter then the oem sports. 20" tires are far less money then 19's. My ride is just the same on 20's are the stock 18's at stock height. once i lowered it ( but i slammed it ) the ride got rougher but not because of the tires. as for slowing down, yeah it will a bit but you won't notice it. I ran a 15.4 on a bone stock V6 with 245/30 20 in front, and a 285/30 20 out back

20's would be the biggest i'd go on a G8. they suit the car very nicley

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
People put 20's on cars with less horsepower all the time.

·
Registered
637 Posts
20" are perfect for the G8 IMO. 19's would be fine, more wheel options too, but the price of tires is just insane. I can get 20" wheels and cheap tires for the price of a good set of 19" tires. I plan on getting 20s eventually, but short on money.

Performance wise, diameter has minimal effect. Wheel WEIGHT is where you lose performance.

·
Registered
336 Posts
You will loose handling and grip with 20's.

There is a reason the Camaro can do it with out being hurt. The tire diameter is 1" larger than our cars. So that gives you back the tire sidewall you need for best performance.

Anything larger than 19's on G8 is for looks alone. I don't even care for the look. The wheels look like they will snap on a big bump and get hacked by a curb. If you want better grip go wider. Now to me that looks meaner, but with wider wheels in the back only, you can hurt the balance of the car.

Everything is a trade off.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
20 ride the same as the 19's on our cars and the handling will improve due to less sidewall deflection however straightline traction will suffer a tad due to the lack of sidewall deflection. This can be compensated for by getting wider tires out back.

With a V6 you really don't have enough under the hood to make straight line traction an issue so for you there's no negatives.

Also I've found 20 inch tires are less expensive and easier to get then 19's. Thats why I'm getting 20's for mine.

Look at it this way, if 20's hurt performance so badly then why Holden use them on their HSV cars?

·
Registered
426 Posts
You will loose handling and grip with 20's.

There is a reason the Camaro can do it with out being hurt. The tire diameter is 1" larger than our cars. So that gives you back the tire sidewall you need for best performance.

Anything larger than 19's on G8 is for looks alone. I don't even care for the look. The wheels look like they will snap on a big bump and get hacked by a curb. If you want better grip go wider. Now to me that looks meaner, but with wider wheels in the back only, you can hurt the balance of the car.
oh so they don't make wide tires for 20", the 285's i have on the back of my 20's looks pretty badass. as for loosing grip i call :bs: my car handles way better then with the stockers, less sidewall flex the better. if you do your homework on tire sizes you can get the same overall diameter and it won't affect s&#t. why do you think all these new high end cars have 19-20" wheels. you think if it affected performance wouldn't they not use them.

at the end of the day do what you wanna do man. opinions are like *******s..........everybody has one. tis why i try not to make should i posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
You won't loose much with 20", and I'm surprised that tire size has some cheap tires, but the top tires are more expensive,

Top Gear AU tested an HSV with 22", 21" and 20" and the 20's were the fastest throught the road course by a large marign.

The 19"ers were not tested. So anything large than 20 in my book is a big and costly mistake. I'll stick with 19" and max summer tires. But 20's would be fine especially if they are cheaper.

·
Registered
91 Posts
do what u like, i have 20's on mine and love'em, I get better grip outta them then I ever did on the stock 18s...

·
Northeast G8 Owners Club
110 Posts
oh so they don't make wide tires for 20", the 285's i have on the back of my 20's looks pretty badass. as for loosing grip i call :bs: my car handles way better then with the stockers, less sidewall flex the better. if you do your homework on tire sizes you can get the same overall diameter and it won't affect s&#t. why do you think all these new high end cars have 19-20" wheels. you think if it affected performance wouldn't they not use them.

at the end of the day do what you wanna do man. opinions are like *******s..........everybody has one. tis why i try not to make should i posts
+1....I have 275 in the back and i think it looks badass too.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I vote for 19"

20" wheels look good but from a practicality standpoint I'd go with 19". I struggled with this decision myself when I was shopping for my wheels. The safety of having a little extra sidewall for protection against potholes isn't necessarily a bad thing to have. 19" tires are a bit cheaper too since the 19" wheel diameter is a bit more mainstream than 20".

·
Registered
336 Posts
In all actuality, from a performance and practical standpopint, the 19's are better. The only thing 20's will do better is steering responce. Lower profile tires only help handling to a point. That point is like 40 to 50 series tires. I'm sure if you work hard to get it right 35 series would be good too. That is what you would most likely use on a G8 with 20's. Either way there are going to be tradeoffs.

From a looks standpoint it is up to the individual.

I'm not against 20's. I am against 21's and 22's though for this overall tire diameter.

I like the added road hazard and curb protection of 19" for a daily driver. That is what I have and the previous owner still could not keep off the curbs. I have been ok when I just touch the curbs during parallel parking.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts