Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2 feet of 4" flexible tubing, 7" of 1/2 fuel line, and a 1/2" rubber grommet(for the PCV line.) No more baffle box.

I cant really tell any difference with this mod, other than a bit more WOT intake noise, as well as a slight whistle at part throttle, but you have to have the radio off and really listen for it. Sure looks better than that goofy baffle box.

Combine with the $66 exhaust mod, and you're running 10s!!!:drink:

I also added some pictures of the inside of the baffle box.

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Alright someone should go to an autoparts store i.e. autozone and buy one of those $22 intake filters and try this.... and see how it goes... seriously...

and if it goes good you could just build a shield to go around it and BAM!!!! OTR INTAKE!!!

its some guys ve ssv from another site....

(YES THE MAF IS THERE)

·
my top end is unlimited..
195 Posts
2 feet of 4" flexible tubing, 7" of 1/2 fuel line, and a 1/2" rubber grommet(for the PCV line.) No more baffle box.

I cant really tell any difference with this mod, other than a bit more WOT intake noise, as well as a slight whistle at part throttle, but you have to have the radio off and really listen for it. Sure looks better than that goofy baffle box.

Use the tubing to connect the exhaust to the intake, and you got a $20 turbo. 9's all day long, baby.:hail:

·
Registered
644 Posts

Not to sound like a wet blanket, but you might be hampering the engine with your half-baked mods.

The intake manifold, the duct (with its resonators), and airbox are tuned together as a system. The intake manifold might be relying on reactions from the duct and airbox to improve power and/or torque.

Then again, it might have been tuned for a lot of noise reduction at the cost of more power/torque than you'd like. Any concrete results?

·
Smurfette's a whore
240 Posts
You know, honestly I'm worried that might be even worse than the stock piping. Reason I say that is because it's ribbed for the entire length, which would cause turbulent flow which would mess with your MAF readings and could cause fueling issues. I'd be careful with it is all, but flow-wise the stock piping is pretty ridiculous.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've spent lots of time on the dyno with this.. The restrictions are in greatest in this order..

1. Lower portion of airbox (remove air snorkle and it gets worse believe it or not)
2. MAF
3. Elbow between MAF and throttle body.

Also believe it or not the stock filter is not restrictive. I actually dynoed the same/1 hp more with a stock filter over drop in K&N holding the AFR a constant 12.50

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've spent lots of time on the dyno with this.. The restrictions are in greatest in this order..

1. Lower portion of airbox (remove air snorkle and it gets worse believe it or not)
2. MAF
3. Elbow between MAF and throttle body.
Alvin, with the MAF being a part of the restrictions, are you working with a Vette MAF or an aftermarket one as a way to get around this? Guys always claim that those aftermarket MAF's are hard to tune for, but not sure if there is any truth to that or not.

·
i Actually own one...
354 Posts
Ribbed....

Reason I say that is because it's ribbed for the entire length, which would cause turbulent flow .
RIBBED....FOR HER PLEASURE...

·
Registered
675 Posts
Stock air filter vs. K&N

OK, am I to believe the stock filter flows better than a K&N? Nope, although one of these posts says so, I don't believe it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
23 Participants
SS Enforcer
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing