Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NOTE: THIS IS FOR A PRE-ORDER. You are getting the hood at a $200 discount for being willing to wait for them to arrive.
Current ETA for the hoods is 3/24/17
We have 8 spots left Final payment of $200 for Shipping (unless you are picking up in Southern California) is due when hoods arrive

Ready to finally give your G8 a muscle car APPEARANCE to match it's muscle car PERFORMANCE? Well so are we! That's why we brought to the market the 6LE ZL1 Style Cowl Induction Hood for your 2008-2009 Pontiac G8!!!
email [email protected] for any questions

thanks

The hood is COMPLTELY FUNCTIONAL. The front vents are purposefully over the radiator to channel heat OUT of the engine bay (they come with a removeable mesh screen) and the back of the cowl also has been slotted to RELEASE HEAT out the back as well.

We worked VERY hard on this design to make sure that the ZL1 style cowl flowed smoothly not only with the stock hoods shape but with the lines of the car, matching our radiuses to the car's radiuses...

Expect anywhere from 3-6 months for delivery (they are ordered but it is slow this time of year due to SEMA). Please feel free to contact us after your purchase for more accurate time frames. Since this is a pre-order sale all sales are final, not refundable or transferable.

Note: all though stock hardware will work, we recommend the use of hood pins with all aftermarket hoods (we have to write this, we don't run them on our own cars)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Where are the picks of the underside?

·
Registered
181 Posts
cool....need to see this painted for final judgement. lol

Can the vents be blocked off?....Rains a lot here.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I know this is an old thread but does anyone have one of these thats painted yet? And maybe a lower shot to see the profile of the hood? Im in the market for a hood (and fender) as my wife's jeep won a battle in the driveway

·
Pontiac Crazy
419 Posts
I know this is an old thread but does anyone have one of these thats painted yet? And maybe a lower shot to see the profile of the hood? Im in the market for a hood (and fender) as my wife's jeep won a battle in the driveway
Can't find a single pic of one on google other than the test car fit photos, makes me wonder if they ever actually got em out.

·
Fuel Low
493 Posts
I'm also interested in this. I have a question too: Can the vents be left open without worry of water getting into an aftermarket CAI like Rotofab? I've already had one engine wrecked by water ingestion.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Can't find a single pic of one on google other than the test car fit photos, makes me wonder if they ever actually got em out.
I can answer that for you.

This weekend I'll be getting it on the car so I can take it in for an estimate for painting with the car (some other things to remedy).

Attachments

·
Pontiac Crazy
419 Posts
I'm also interested in this. I have a question too: Can the vents be left open without worry of water getting into an aftermarket CAI like Rotofab? I've already had one engine wrecked by water ingestion.
The Rotofab seals against the hood liner far away from the center of the hood, should be perfectly fine.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I am curious about the rain issue myself, but I don't plan on driving it in the rain, really.

I'll know this weekend how everything lines up underneath once it is attached. It doesn't seem like the air box would be compromised based on where the scoops are.

If it was a concern, any number of custom modifications to the air box could be conceived....

Personally, I'd keep the vents open. Based on the angle and location, it would suck air out of the engine and relief some pressure underneath. It seems that should be a good thing...

I am curious as to how I want to have it painted. I'm at odds with the two tone vs single color look. I feel like the two tone might be tacky. Decisions decisions......

·
Pontiac Crazy
419 Posts
I think the ZL1 vent would look good painted black, just how it is on the actual ZL1.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Isnt the insert in the ZL1 hood visible Carbon fiber??

·
Registered
74 Posts
Jova, even your pics show the lines of the hood better, thanks!

I was wondering what your were doing with their old hood (which is just terrible looking IMO), now we know! My only concern with rain would be while it sits in a heavy down pour, seems like the front of the engine and fans would get drenched. Probably not an issue, just a thought, and we dont get that much rain here in the southeast.

·
Fuel Low
493 Posts
I am curious as to how I want to have it painted. I'm at odds with the two tone vs single color look. I feel like the two tone might be tacky. Decisions decisions......
If I get one I'll probably paint it body two-toned, but not like the ZL1, but instead more like the 3rd gen CTS-V. I think it fits the sedan better. I like subtle details. Here are some pics to see what I mean:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Jova, even your pics show the lines of the hood better, thanks!

I was wondering what your were doing with their old hood (which is just terrible looking IMO), now we know! My only concern with rain would be while it sits in a heavy down pour, seems like the front of the engine and fans would get drenched. Probably not an issue, just a thought, and we dont get that much rain here in the southeast.
You could block off the vents if you wanted. You'd need to address the pooling, though.

If the rain concern appears to be serious when I get it on there, then it'll be relegated to dry driving. I don't really plan on driving it much in the rain post-install anyways.

I'm going to do a string test to see how the airflow looks from the vents. I wish I could get some kind of rig together to mount inside the car and test it that way to see if it does suck air out effectively. I'd imagine at higher speeds it would. The question then is, if driving in the rain how much moisture from below the car would get sucked up into the compartment?

That last one is the main reason I'd refrain from driving in the rain, and blocking off the vents would resolve that. Though, I would prefer lower pressure inside the bay with the fiberglass hood anyways.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
If I get one I'll probably paint it body two-toned, but not like the ZL1, but instead more like the 3rd gen CTS-V. I think it fits the sedan better. I like subtle details. Here are some pics to see what I mean:
The old style cowl hood from 6LE isn't what I like because of that; it doesn't fit the sedan. This one is a lot less intrusive, and the cowl isn't obscenely tall.

We'll see how it looks once it is on the car.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You could block off the vents if you wanted. You'd need to address the pooling, though.

If the rain concern appears to be serious when I get it on there, then it'll be relegated to dry driving. I don't really plan on driving it much in the rain post-install anyways.

I'm going to do a string test to see how the airflow looks from the vents. I wish I could get some kind of rig together to mount inside the car and test it that way to see if it does suck air out effectively. I'd imagine at higher speeds it would. The question then is, if driving in the rain how much moisture from below the car would get sucked up into the compartment?

That last one is the main reason I'd refrain from driving in the rain, and blocking off the vents would resolve that. Though, I would prefer lower pressure inside the bay with the fiberglass hood anyways.
Without an inlet and exit duct, they are simply heat vents until the air pressure in the bay becomes greater than that outside. The hood vents will never suck air/rain from under the car in theory because in the rain you will never be going fast enough to encounter the positive pressure engine bay among other things. I definitely dont want to block any vents but my car lives outside, so I might need something like the ZL1 has. Apparently it just deflects water off the front of the engine

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Without an inlet and exit duct, they are simply heat vents until the air pressure in the bay becomes greater than that outside. The hood vents will never suck air/rain from under the car in theory because in the rain you will never be going fast enough to encounter the positive pressure engine bay among other things. I definitely dont want to block any vents but my car lives outside, so I might need something like the ZL1 has. Apparently it just deflects water off the front of the engine
That type of ducting makes sense. I was focused on "blocking off" and didn't think of that. Water deflection is the best method.

I'm going to do a string test primarily to see how well air flows through the vents. Much of it will be from the radiator. Though, it should encourage air flow beneath the hood. After reading my last post, I think I definitely exaggerated the implication that it would draw moisture upwards. I made it sound like a vacuum.... LOL

I'm wayyyy over thinking it anyways. The concern for water is up top. LOL

(I'm still gonna do a string test)

·
Registered
74 Posts
The string test will definitely be interesting to see, especially if you can safely do it in a space to reach potential down force speeds. One thing I noticed last night was their description says the cowl is slotted at the back to release heat as well. Judging from your second picture that is not true or if the cowl is slotted it is closed off from the engine bay and doesnt matter.

·
Fuel Low
493 Posts
How heavy is this hood compared to the original?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The string test will definitely be interesting to see, especially if you can safely do it in a space to reach potential down force speeds. One thing I noticed last night was their description says the cowl is slotted at the back to release heat as well. Judging from your second picture that is not true or if the cowl is slotted it is closed off from the engine bay and doesnt matter.
They changed suppliers, and quite possibly it originally was. It looks like the new hood will engage the seals, so it appears that it is closed off. It probably could be modified to do that, but I'm not messing with it.

That might create lift up under the hood. The high pressure zone would generally encourage air to enter, and not leave. There are string tests for that, but I doubt this cowl is large enough to create the necessary high pressure zone behind the cowl to do that.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts