Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like you cannot buy this anywhere I had to buy a used one on ebay, hopefully next year they are available.

·
Premium Member
10,473 Posts
eBay item number: 164445997698. Disclaimer. No foreknowledge of seller.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like you cannot buy this anywhere I had to buy a used one on ebay, hopefully next year they are available.
I bought the last one from a usa seller.

·
Registered
603 Posts
You can take the lock mechanism apart and replace just the motor. It is a fraction of the price and relatively straight forward to replace. I did it on my rear driver side door lock last year and have to do it again to the passenger side this year. I'll take some pictures when I do it. I'll look later tonight if I can find the part number for the motor I bought. Only slight challenge I had was removing the gear that was on the motor shaft and not damaging it. If you go this route, take a lot of pictures as reassembly is a challenge without pictures.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
This is interesting. One of my back doors won't unlock properly unless I hit the button multiple times. I wonder if this is the issue. Anyway not a major concern for me at the moment. I got bigger fish to fry.

Though I have already gotten a taste of some of our parts becoming unobtainium. Hate to see what it will be like in 10 years.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
1,401 Posts
Can you order them from Australia since they have a ton of Commodores there that probably use the same part?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can take the lock mechanism apart and replace just the motor. It is a fraction of the price and relatively straight forward to replace. I did it on my rear driver side door lock last year and have to do it again to the passenger side this year. I'll take some pictures when I do it. I'll look later tonight if I can find the part number for the motor I bought. Only slight challenge I had was removing the gear that was on the motor shaft and not damaging it. If you go this route, take a lot of pictures as reassembly is a challenge without pictures.

Let us know the part number as i am interested in buying one for back up.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Part number for the motor is FC-280SC-20150
You'll need a T15 and T8 bit to access the motor.

As an FYI, It took me less than 10 minutes to take apart the old lock mechanism I had, pull the motor to take pictures and reassmble. Here are the pictures of the locking mechanism and internals that I took: It looks like there are motors which have a gear attached already although the gear is slightly longer. I'd be curious to try those motors to limit having the need to pull the existing gear off.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I listed it both in the post and in Imgur.
FC-280SC-20150

It looks like there are many different motors with that part number that have different shaft lengths, so I'll take the mechanism apart again and measure everything up.

Edit: Shaft is about 15mm long and 2mm diameter. Worm gear is about 8mm long, 6mm diameter, and it has 3 threads along the length of the gear

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you know the link with the gear let me know. Maybe it is not necessary but you have done this before.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For the gear on the shaft did you have to glue it on the new one?

·
Registered
603 Posts
I reused the gear that was on the original motor so don't have a link to a new one. I'm not sure how to find one to be honest, I tried a bunch the past couple days and had no luck.

The gear is just a press fit. There is some knurling on the shaft that provides better friction to the gear.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Okay so this motor should be good then
Font Parallel Rectangle Auto part Diagram
Font Parallel Rectangle Auto part Diagram
Rectangle Material property Font Adapter Electric blue
Rectangle Material property Font Adapter Electric blue

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ended up buying 2 of these pretty cheap.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Be careful when pulling off the original gear. You can see in my picture, I beat mine up pretty bad the first time I tried it and it caused issues. Luckily I had another broken lock mechanism so pulled the gear from that one being a bit more careful.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts