Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asking for opinions, I'm trying to up the hp on my v6 g8 but I'm on a budget. I already have a few mods and its tuned. I was thinking a supercharger, does anyone know where I can get a used one for less money? Would I be able to get one from another make of pontiac, Chevy or GM? Its a 3.6l. Would one work off of a grand prix? I was also thinking of possibly putting a turbo on it because its a lot less expensive. Any opinions and help would be gladly appreciated. Something to make it have a little more get up and go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Would it just be better to swap out my v6 for either a 6.0 or 6.2 out of a gt or gxp? How difficult would the process be? I'm assuming fairly easy, if I'm just swapping the motor and trans, everything else looks the same under the hood. Would I have to do any modifications? Looks to be the same layout underneath.

·
F1rehawk
636 Posts
No such thing as adding a supercharger or turbo on a budget. You gotta pay to play, and you get what you pay for. Most kits are over 6K, not factoring in all the supports mods you will need.

Enjoy your V6 with base modifications, or sell it and get a V8.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No such thing as adding a supercharger or turbo on a budget. You gotta pay to play, and you get what you pay for. Most kits are over 6K, not factoring in all the supports mods you will need.

Enjoy your V6 with base modifications, or sell it and get a V8.
Thank you, I understand its going to be a bit pricey. Budget meaning a few thousand bucks. Like is there other models I can use superchargers from? Like camaro's, grand prix's etc. I'm trying to find a used or rebuilt one to save some money. I was also thinking of dropping a turbo in it or finding a used 6.0 or 6.2 to drop in it. It looks like everything is pretty similar and I have the clearance under the hood for it. Its the same layout on all the g8's they just put the different displacements in. Do you know how much modifying I would have to do if i went that route and dropped either a 6.0 or a 6.2? I'm leaning more on the ls3.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I could be way off, but I think a supercharger setup could easily end up running you close to $7k+. A full V8 swap, depending on if you find used, and if you do the swap yourself or not, could also range anywhere from $5k to as much as $20k+ if you go crazy and get a brand new crate w/tranny. For reference, a brand new LS3 crate with automatic trans is like $17k.

I know what you're looking to do has been done, but I certainly don't have the details or specs to be of much help.... I know I tried to look at SC kits for this engine years ago and was disappointed that the entry point seemed to be about $7k.

Honestly, I think your best bet is a full V8 swap if you find something good used. It *could* end up being cheaper, more powerful, and leave you with more options for future mods too than a very rare & limited SC-V6 would.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I could be way off, but I think a supercharger setup could easily end up running you close to $7k+. A full V8 swap, depending on if you find used, and if you do the swap yourself or not, could also range anywhere from $5k to as much as $20k+ if you go crazy and get a brand new crate w/tranny. For reference, a brand new LS3 crate with automatic trans is like $17k. Thank you

I know what you're looking to do has been done, but I certainly don't have the details or specs to be of much help.... I know I tried to look at SC kits for this engine years ago and was disappointed that the entry point seemed to be about $7k.

Honestly, I think your best bet is a full V8 swap if you find something good used. It *could* end up being cheaper, more powerful, and leave you with more options for future mods too than a very rare & limited SC-V6 would.
Thank you, I really appreciate your time and info. What are your thoughts on dropping a turbo in?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Like everyone said, you would be far better off getting a V8. Turbo or supercharging it will cost a helluva lot more. Besides, would you really want a used turbo or supercharger on your car? I wouldn't.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hate to say it as I've been in your position, but use the few grand u were going to put into modding the LY7 on finding a well maintained GT. I went from a V6 130 000km with an intake and muffler delete to a GT 330 000 km all highway and couldn't be any happier. The GT is so much more of a solid built vehicle. But I did love my V6 for the 3 years I had her.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
BAS G8
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing