Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, seeking feedback on what things I should be looking to do as my car comes up on 100,xxx miles.

Current mileage: 91,xxx
Mileage per year: 5k-7k
Normal maintenance: oil changes and alignments
Recent maintenance: serpentine belt, wheel bearings, new tires, new lighter fuses, fuel pump relay

This week it didn't turn over. After one failed jump and coughing over $200 to the dealership they said it was a blown fuel pump relay.

It got me thinking, what other maintenance should I be considering before I run into unexpected items?

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Routine oil changes with both good quality oil and filter go quite along way. Recommend changing all fluids. A simple drain and refill will suffice as am not a proponent of flushes. Can always reference the owner's manual for scheduled maintenance suggestions. Have the front and rear suspension checked for worn items. Have the struts and strut mounts been replaced? Spark plugs and plug wires? Have a budget (if possible) set aside for unforeseen repairs and makes fixes as deemed necessary or appropriate.

Reactions: BAS G8

·
Registered
135 Posts
One thing I recommend that you DO NOT do. Don't chemically flush you cooling system. I used Prestone radiator flush when changing coolant years ago. Within a few hundred miles the heater core started leaking. $1200 later I had a new heater core. After that I did research and found a small message deep in service manual saying DO NOT use radiator flush. Sorry I don't remember where I found that reference.

Maybe it was just coincidence that flushing the radiator and shorty after that the heater core started leaking.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips. I pulled out the owner's manual and made a check list of items to tackle. Since I am at 91,xxx this year I'll likely wait til next to get the maintenance performed.

Two things that are bothering me, and might as well pose to the forum, is the driver side visor clip is broken and will not latch back into place. Has anyone replaced that piece before? I do not see a screw or anything to detach. Also, the moon roof compartment / dial contraption is making a creaking noise whenever I am on the highway. Anyone tamper with that before as well?

The signs of a 12 year old car...

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link. Read it once and it's not the most clear solution but I'll have to read it again when I find a few moments.

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I pulled out the owner's manual and made a check list of items to tackle. Since I am at 91,xxx this year I'll likely wait til next to get the maintenance performed.

Two things that are bothering me, and might as well pose to the forum, is the driver side visor clip is broken and will not latch back into place. Has anyone replaced that piece before? I do not see a screw or anything to detach. Also, the moon roof compartment / dial contraption is making a creaking noise whenever I am on the highway. Anyone tamper with that before as well?

I had to fix my driver side visor clip just after my new purchase. Had the dealer do it under warranty, but later learned that when they fixed it, they caused a wire rub to the lighted visor mirror. I then had battery issues for months until that wire rub was located, so be aware if that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had to fix my driver side visor clip just after my new purchase. Had the dealer do it under warranty, but later learned that when they fixed it, they caused a wire rub to the lighted visor mirror. I then had battery issues for months until that wire rub was located, so be aware if that.
Ten4. Still dreading this fix when I return home.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts