Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I seem to have accidentally broke my oil dipstick end off. I recovered the broken end, it broke where the fill line is at. It happened when I was installing headers a while ago. My questions are:

A: The stock 2008 dipstick was discontinued, is there a replacement one I can use that is flat on the tip like this one?

B: Will the 2009 dipstick work with the 2008 and read accurately?

I understand they’re both 6.0 and relatively the same thing. But I just need to know if they’re accurate. I need a new one and want to take care of this issue.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like I’ll be welding it back together the best I can u til I find a new one.

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
It looks like I’ll be welding it back together the best I can u til I find a new one.
Wouldn't bother welding it back together unless the oil level doesn't register on the dipstick. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
It’s really simple. Buy the 2009 dip stick tube. Before you install it, compare it to your old one. If it marches, cool, throw it in. If the new one is longer. Then shorten the top of the tube so it matches. If it is shorter, got two choices. Lengthen the tube. Or at your next oil change. Put in the correct amount of oil. Pull the dip stick to see the level on it. If it does not match, take a file and Mark the “New” full level. When I put my headers in. I bought a longer bolt and made a spacer for the bracket.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Since you have the old broken one, and you know where the original full line is. Time for a junk yard run. Measure your original stick and take the tape measure with you to the yard. Start pulling GM sticks and measure them . Pass on the cable ones. Find the same length, great. If you find one longer than stock , take it. You can then measure and make new “Full” and “Add” marks.

·
Registered
255 Posts
i've heard of people braking the tube part but never the actual dip stick itself

·
Registered
887 Posts
What's wrong with the "cable ones"?

Since you have the old broken one, and you know where the original full line is. Time for a junk yard run. Measure your original stick and take the tape measure with you to the yard. Start pulling GM sticks and measure them . Pass on the cable ones. Find the same length, great. If you find one longer than stock , take it. You can then measure and make new “Full” and “Add” marks.

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
Heard of the handle seperating from the metal portion, but never the end breaking. Any idea how it happened?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts