Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum here and looking for a little insight. I just recently purchased my V6 G8 with 138,000 miles and have had nothing but issues since the start. On the way home after buying it, I got a check engine warning light with the code p0009...took it back to the dealership the following day for timing chain and cam gear replacement work. The work performed was all new chains, cam gears, camshaft position sensors, VVT sensors, oil pump, radiator (it was leaking from the reservoir) water pump, rear seals, and gasket set ...yeah how they sold it with it having so many issues is beyond me, BUT after a week they claimed it was ready for me to pick it up. The issues began that night. First I noticed that my headlights were flickering. It would also spit out the CD in the player and reset my radio to factory settings. I immediately assumed alternator/battery. The next day it threw an alternator warning light. Drove it back home (yesterday) and let it set until today. Went back out and put it in engineering mode to check the charging values and that's when it started making a sound coming from the engine that I couldn't readily identify, but sounded like it was possibly lifter related. Just looking to see if there's anyone out there that knows what this issue might be. The only thing I can come up with is lifter. It also has a new code- camshaft position sensor. The sound is loud and in time with the engine RPM's at idle. Did not rev the engine to see if it accelerated with it, but it is constant and could be compared to the sound of a cracked intake vacuum leak or exhaust manifold leak.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Im not an expert at LY7 but it's an DOHC engine, there are no lifters. If you post a vid with the sound I am sure other v6 guys will be able point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm also not an expert, lol. I followed the sound to a comparison on YouTube and it matched exactly. However that particular issue was lifter. I'm new here and unsure how to post video, but will try!

·
Registered
102 Posts

The lifter failure is the bane of the GTs but as you can see in the above pic there are no lifters in LY7, you have 2 cams in each head, and they directly open the valves.

Though issue you describe sounds like an oil related issue. If I was to make a guess maybe its low oil-pressure, the ticking noise would most likely be cam slapping the valve, and it isn't opening, throwing a mis-fire code. Either way you need to pop the covers to be sure, check the cams for wear marks. Atleast it shouldn't be as painful at the V8 lifter issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to start with pulling DTC's and see what all I have stored and work my way from there. I compleeetely forgot that DOHC means no lifters as I'm not used to this particular style of engine. I haven't checked for recent codes because I have to get a new OBD2, but that's top of the list for tonight.

·
Registered
102 Posts
No worries, I remember that type of code is usually a misfire code. If Ponyman is around today maybe he'll jump in and tell us for sure, he knows his V6s.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha!! The one I pulled two days ago was actually camshaft positioning sensor...I can't remember the actual code number just that that's what it was. I was beyond frustrated and should have paid better attention

·
Premium Member
5,107 Posts
Check the oil dipstick level. Suggest changing the oil and oil filter. Refill it with at least a synthetic blend and always keep the oil level near the full mark. Sludge accumulation on the camshaft sensor will also trigger a check engine code.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check the oil dipstick level. Suggest changing the oil and oil filter. Refill it with at least a synthetic blend and always keep the oil level near the full mark. Sludge accumulation on the ca,shaft sensor will also trigger a check engine code.
It was recently top end rebuilt including a full synthetic oil change. When last checked a few days ago after picking it up from the dealership, the oil level was good and it was clean. Oil pump was also replaced. The work was performed last week.

·
Premium Member
5,107 Posts
Gotcha. Somehow overlooked the initial post and quite a bit of work has been done on the G8 V6 which is typically indicative of a lack of proper maintenance. The P0009 code could be a faulty camshaft sensor, bad wiring harness, etc. Would take it back to the dealership and have them to sort out the various issues. If they can't or refuse to do so, then suggest taking another course of action unless the car was sold as is. By the way, is this a General Motors dealership? Oftentimes, P0008 and P0009 codes are misdiagnosed as timing chain failure. Difficult to tell form the video exactly what is going on with the G8 V6.

·
Premium Member
5,107 Posts
* Thread is for a P0008 not the P0009 code *

·
Premium Member
5,107 Posts
Regarding the various electrical issues, could indeed be a faulty alternator, bad ground, or loose battery connections. Check the connections on both the alternator and battery for snugness since work was performed and perchance the technician inadvertently left either a little loose. Especially, if the problems appeared only after the car was repaired.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's alright, but actually it threw the P0009 code the night it was bought a half hour after leaving the dealership lot. It came back as timing chain/cam gears bank 1. That's the code that initially resulted in the timing chain and cam gear replacements and the rest of the work completed due to other issues that weren't directly related such as radiator and water pump. I can't remember what the DTC was for the cam shaft position sensor, but it didn't pop up until the day I got the car back after the dealership had completed the work. I'll have to rescan it when I go to pick up another OBD2. Also, no not a GM dealership, just a used car dealership that sells mostly foreign models such as Audi and Maserati. It was sold "as is" however, the dealership included their own 90 day/4500 mile powertrain warranty so the work done was done as warranty work.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The 3.6 DOHC have "lash adjusters". Which is basically doing the function of what a lifter does. There's a little rocker that sits under the cam with the lash adjuster on one side and the valve on the other. If the lash adjuster went bad you would have the same kind of noises like a bad lifter.

I would be afraid they didn't do the timing right. There is a video by Cloyes on how to do the timing the correct way...but Melling has a video out there that shows the procedure the wrong way. I hope they didn't watch the Melling video. The code is for bank 2 being out of time. If I had to guess, they set it to stage 1 timing and then put both chains on...you have to set it to a different mark for the 2 different banks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts