Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking for one of these cars off and on for a long time. Looked at a red one for 14k. Has 50k miles. Car rode good and straight on the highway. Heard a rattle from the front end so I assume it has some issue with stabilizer links or something. Here’s the bad. Car has a damage to rear bumper, dents on rear quarter and passenger door. Driver side mirror needs to be replaced. Only one remote with key and is non functional. Front bumper is not cracked but has scratches on the bottom lip which is probably typical of these cars. I think the car has an open recall for ignition or something like that.

What do you think it’s worth? Without the body damage it would be a great deal.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The mileage is below average. Seems like it may not have been treated to well though. It might also depend where you are and if you get it from a dealer or private seller. I got mine for 9500 a month and a half ago it had 119k miles but was flawless shape inside and out(no mods). I would guess 13k could be a good starting point considering the body damage but for the mileage that would be a steal

·
Registered
43 Posts
Stabilizer and strut mounts are pretty cheap which could be the clunking you hear. For the price i'd hold out, check eBay and wait for the right car. All the body damage and repairs might make it not worth it. If you're spending over 10k might as well go for a good condition one.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
A new front bumper will run around 900 bucks without paint and labor. Some parts are still pretty easily available but others like the hood liner are impossible or expensive to get.

Good luck with your search!

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
Front-end "rattle" could be caused by several things, the more common culprits are the struts/strut mounts, lower control arms, and sway bar links. Are any of the damaged items beyond repair? A used aftermarket side-view mirror can be purchased for +/- $40 or try locating a solid used one on eBay. Wouldn't be overly concerned with the scratches on the bottom of the front bumper. The non-functional key fob would be replaced during the ignition recall and could always buy a second one, have the key cut and program the fob yourself. Since it's a private sale is the price negotiable? Bear in mind, GT's have displacement-on-demand (DOD) lifters which are known to and ask if they have already been deleted i.e. replaced.

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
It’s a private sale. I’m in the Chicagoland area.
The folks at Chicagoholdenconnection.com might be able to help. Try them on FB.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
sometimes low miles is not always better if the car was not taken care of well and depends how many owners car had i
One owner. Owned by an older gentleman who had health issues. Car needs an oil change too. I agree on the miles comment, but I have always been drawn to lower mile cars.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Can you do body and paint work? If so, you would probably make out alright, but if not, then I would do as the others have said and wait for one that isn't messed up. Bodywork is really expensive these days because paint supplies have gone through the roof in the last few years.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Walk. There’s a better one out there.
^^^^Agreed.
Check the cars for sale forum on this board, there's an IOM and a SBM, both desirable colors, as well as many G8's for sale.
Yes more expensive but your going to have to sink money into the car you opened here with too. Travel aside, in the long run may turn out to be a wash.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I wouldn't touch this at all. There are good deals on properly cared for G8's out there...you just have to wait and keep searching.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wouldn't touch this at all. There are good deals on properly cared for G8's out there...you just have to wait and keep searching.
Just got a call back from seller. He’s willing to do 12k for the car. That’s what I originally offered.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts