·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
* Update: Price drop *

Asking $10,500 (OBO)
110,279 on the odometer
Located in Pasadena, MD

Very clean, inside and out. Loaded with extras. Interior is in great condition. Body is straight with no dents or rust. Paint is in good condition but a bit rough on the front end, small chips consistent with 110k miles. A few minor dings and scratches but she shines like a brand new penny! Sport Red, rare color.

Add-ons:

• Borla Performance Exhaust System
  • Camaro Transmission Pan
  • Belt-tensioner Bracket Upgrade
  • New Tire Pressure Sensors
  • Polk Audio Speakers
  • Tinted Windows 35%
  • New GM Stock Headlights
  • Much more available for negotiation
Selling as-is due to an undiagnosed misfire condition. Just don't have the time or money to get it fixed. It's a great project car with a lot of perks and HUGE potential. Just needs a home and a little love.

·
Premium Member
4,520 Posts
Might be advantageous to link the information in the troubleshooting thread. Good luck with the sale as well.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Might be advantageous to link the information in the troubleshooting thread. Good luck with the sale as well.
I considered that but it I thought it made more sense to keep it simple, rather than inundating potential buyers with a 5-page thread of inconclusive tests conducted by a dummy novice out of his league. lol

Anyway... here ya go. Grab a coffee and read on.

https://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3681909

·
Premium Member
4,609 Posts
Nice. Technically over here that color is called Sport Red.

·
Registered
260 Posts
For what it's worth. I myself would try and fix the misfire. You own a beautiful car. Get the most out of it you can. In the end it will sell faster. Buyer and yourself will be happy. Not sure what you have and have not done for troubleshooting. Several times we went into computer diagnostics and other detailed stuff on loo y to find a dirty throttle body. Maybe try cleaning that first since it's so cheap and easy. Gooduck

·
Premium Member
4,609 Posts
Replacing plugs and wires didn’t do it? What’s the code?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For what it's worth. I myself would try and fix the misfire. You own a beautiful car. Get the most out of it you can. In the end it will sell faster. Buyer and yourself will be happy. Not sure what you have and have not done for troubleshooting. Several times we went into computer diagnostics and other detailed stuff on loo y to find a dirty throttle body. Maybe try cleaning that first since it's so cheap and easy. Gooduck
Thank you.

Replacing plugs and wires didn’t do it? What’s the code?
Unfortunately, no. Plugs and wires were not the answer.

The DTC is P0306.

·
Premium Member
4,609 Posts
Thank you.

Unfortunately, no. Plugs and wires were not the answer.

The DTC is P0306.
Swap coil packs to see if it moves? That’s the only other thing I can think of, unless something is grounding out somewheres.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is all of the T/S that I've done to date, over a two month period in what little free time I had, under remote guidance by members here and at home. I'm not a mechanic or even an intermediate DIY with anything engine related. So, take it for what it is.

* Swapped coils between 4 and 6

* Swapped coils between 3 and 5

* New B2/S2 oxygen sensor

* All new spark plugs

* All new plug wires

* Verified coil discharge with inline tools on #'s 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6

* Checked cylinder compression on:
#6 = 130 psi
#5 = 125 psi
#3 = 130 psi
#1 = 110 psi

* Checked resistance on injector 6 = 12.7 ohms

* Checked resistance on injector 5 = 12.8 ohms

* Checked accessory power voltage on all 4-pin coil connectors = 12.16v

* Checked accessory power voltage on even-side injector connectors = 12.4v

* Swapped fuel injectors 6 and 2

* Cleaned all injector and coil connectors with contact cleaner

* Vacuum leak test with unlit MAPP gas torch (no effect)

* Vacuum leak test with intake/throttle cleaner (inconclusive)

* Swapped coils between 6 and 1

* Vacuum leak test with unlit propane torch (extensively, no effect)

* Inspected valve rockers on even side. Movement normal. Spring tension normal.

* Inspected push rods on #6. Both were slightly bent. Replaced. No change.

* Checked compression on #6 again. All other plugs removed. Throttle body removed. Result = 150 psi, held for over an hour.

* Removed fuel rail and checked for clogs and flushed intake cleaner.

* Swapped injectors 6 and 4.

* Inspected oil for metal debris.

* Checked alternator output. 14v

The DTC has been P0306 the whole time. Only on the first day did I get a code for low volt O2 sensor B2/S2 which never came back after I cleared it. I replaced it anyway.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I also had a friend use HP Tuner to generate some logs. Comparing it to his G8, he said that nothing looked unusual to him.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
For +/- $80 have you thought of going to a GM dealer you can trust for a scan with a Tech2.
I'm not familiar with HP so don't know how far it delves into our cars systems.
May be a cheap fix and you end up keeping your G8.
Good luck, you get full marks for admitting there is a problem to potential buyers.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For +/- $80 have you thought of going to a GM dealer you can trust for a scan with a Tech2.

I'm not familiar with HP so don't know how far it delves into our cars systems.

May be a cheap fix and you end up keeping your G8.

Good luck, you get full marks for admitting there is a problem to potential buyers.
Thanks for the props.

Yeah, I've considered it. I talked to them and they said $145 to hook it up to their computer. Then, if that's inconclusive, which it usually is, $145/hr to go deeper. I told them what troubleshooting I did and they said that it didn't matter. They had to do it their way. So, the bottom line there is that I'm not paying the dealer a fortune to do all the same tests I've already done.

In the end, it doesn't matter because I'm not keeping it. I've made my peace and I'm letter her go.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I priced the car with the potential repair cost in mind. I think it's a fair number seeing that there are a lot of G8s online selling far north of $15k with higher mileage and in worse shape.

Even if the buyer had to put a new motor in it, maybe make some upgrades along the way, they'd still come out ahead. They'd be getting a great looking car in very good condition with some pretty decent add-ons. Plus, I have several other items to throw in if the deal is right.

·
Premium Member
4,609 Posts
Wish we could help you figure it out. GLWS!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts