Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to look at a G8 GT today. It's a 2009 with the sport/premium package. 2 owner car. Mileage is 45k. It's procharged. Full American racing stainless exhaust from headers to tail pipes. Also has aftermarket wheels that are pretty nice. It has coil overs, I don't remember the brand. BMR sways and endlinks. RPM built transmission. Just over 500rwhp.

Interior is absolutely mint. Exterior is also very good. There's a ding in the rear passenger door but easily fixed with PDR.

Drives well. It's really fast. Transmission shifts a little more firm than what I prefer but I'm told it was done with the tune.

The bad: It has an accident on the carfax. Owner says the person he bought it from had a minor fender bender which involved the front bumper cover being replaced. I checked the carfax and it says front left and right damage so I'm guessing he rear ended someone. Air bags did not deploy. I could not find any chassis damage.

During the test drive a passenger airbag fault kept popping up. I researched the problem and it looks like $400 for the module plus whatever diagnostic fees a dealer will charge to program it.

Also hasn't had anything done with regard to the DOD. Not really too worried right now with the low miles but it's something I will probably address in the future.

Asking price is $22,000.

I don't want to beat the guy up but the accident does affect the value regardless of how bad it was. However I am saving money by buying the car with the supercharger already installed. That is something I would be interested in doing no matter what.

These cars seem hard to come by. I'm not sure if I'm willing to fly halfway across the country and drive one home like I've done in the past. This car is local to me. I've seen and driven it. It has been very well taken care of and everything works.

Carfax values the car around $16,000 private sale. But doesn't take mods in to account. I know mods don't add value though. I'm thinking maybe $19k? I don't want to low ball because he'll just keep the car lol But I don't think it's worth $22k either.

Discuss.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I went to look at a G8 GT today. It's a 2009 with the sport/premium package. 2 owner car. Mileage is 45k. It's procharged. Full American racing stainless exhaust from headers to tail pipes. Also has aftermarket wheels that are pretty nice. It has coil overs, I don't remember the brand. BMR sways and endlinks. RPM built transmission. Just over 500rwhp.

Interior is absolutely mint. Exterior is also very good. There's a ding in the rear passenger door but easily fixed with PDR.

Drives well. It's really fast. Transmission shifts a little more firm than what I prefer but I'm told it was done with the tune.

The bad: It has an accident on the carfax. Owner says the person he bought it from had a minor fender bender which involved the front bumper cover being replaced. I checked the carfax and it says front left and right damage so I'm guessing he rear ended someone. Air bags did not deploy. I could not find any chassis damage.

During the test drive a passenger airbag fault kept popping up. I researched the problem and it looks like $400 for the module plus whatever diagnostic fees a dealer will charge to program it.

Also hasn't had anything done with regard to the DOD. Not really too worried right now with the low miles but it's something I will probably address in the future.

Asking price is $22,000.

I don't want to beat the guy up but the accident does affect the value regardless of how bad it was. However I am saving money by buying the car with the supercharger already installed. That is something I would be interested in doing no matter what.

These cars seem hard to come by. I'm not sure if I'm willing to fly halfway across the country and drive one home like I've done in the past. This car is local to me. I've seen and driven it. It has been very well taken care of and everything works.

Carfax values the car around $16,000 private sale. But doesn't take mods in to account. I know mods don't add value though. I'm thinking maybe $19k? I don't want to low ball because he'll just keep the car lol But I don't think it's worth $22k either.

Discuss.
If your not worry about gas mileage I would jump on it

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
896 Posts
What color is the car? Who did the work?

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's red. Owner did the work.
It's hard to price a modified car it all pans out to what someone will pay or what it's worth to you with modified you will always have to put cash in it some time or another

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
896 Posts
It's a fair price considering the mileage and mods. I'm always leary of a car with work done, because you never know if it'll meet your standards.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a fair price considering the mileage and mods. I'm always leary of a car with work done, because you never know if it'll meet your standards.
Yeah. I hear that. But the guy seems competent. Not like the internals of the motor have been messed with anyway. But I know modified cars are a risk.

Are you guys saying $22k is a fair price or offering $19k is fair?

I'm figuring with the airbag thing and whatever odds and ends I'd set aside a grand to get it where I need it to be.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Idk I offered 20k and he's not willing to negotiate at all.

Don't want to walk away but it seems to me he's not serious about selling.

EDIT: I should add that this person initially messaged me about a car I was selling on car gurus for $18k looking for a straight up trade. He backed out on that deal and now that I sold the car and have cash to offer he wants $4k more. So maybe it's best to walk away since it seems like games are being played.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sit tight at $20k, he'll circle back sooner or later.
I hope so. I feel like he's just being hard nosed with hopes that I'll just cave in. And I want to. But... The reality of the situation is the car just isn't worth that much. The next person I try to sell it to is gonna give me a hard time about the accident too. I just went through it with a car I sold that had an accident show up on the carfax AFTER I bought it.

I think $20k is a fair offer all things considered. He says he has a lot in the car but he said the procharger was part of a sponsorship deal so....

Plus he originally wanted to trade, then he said his wife told him no cause she's 8 months pregnant and selling is financially responsible. Now he doesn't need to sell it at all.

I guess either way the right car will come along. Need to be smart about this.

·
Registered
896 Posts
If they really wanna sell the car they'll meet you around $20k.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If they really wanna sell the car they'll meet you around $20k.
That's what I'm saying. I don't think he really wants to sell it at all. Looking back over everything. He couldn't make the trade cause he had to ask his wife first and she said no. But now he can keep the car and turn down a 20k offer without her permission. Makes no sense.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Not that I'm any kind of expert or anything but even $20K seems to be top of the heap for that car.
Coupla grand more and grab a GXP, no DOD worries and you can always toss a blower on it later if that's what you want. And know its done right as mentioned earlier.
Miles is miles some low mileage cars have been treated far worse than any high mileage car.
Good hunting

·
F1rehawk
764 Posts
I think 22K is a fair price considering the mileage! The owner is probably still attached to the car and obviously did a lot of work on it. If you really want it I say go for it. The accident seems minor as the airbags did not deploy. If you know hear any weird noises and if the car drives straight then go for it. Look at the alignment of fenders and bumper as well.

·
Low society member
91 Posts
I would rather try an find a gxp for 22k but like other users said chances are if you offered 20k he might come around or you might have to wait a couple months because chances are it wont get sold fast enough because most people dont know what the car is lol. Thats just my feeling though. Also always thinks if youre willing to spend 19k just think you can find a cheaper stock gt or w.e and spend the remaining money you would have spent now building a car to exactly what you want and the way you want. That way you know how it all works in and out.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts