Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been searching for this same problem for days and have not been able to find much. I have an 09 M6 GXP and the entire instrument cluster will stop working(no lights, gauges, blinker lights/sound or center dig display) while driving and come back on randomly. When it goes out the gauges will freeze wherever they end up until they start working again(shutting off the car does not reset needles or anything which is strange). First time it happened several days ago they came back on withing a few seconds. Since then they went off for almost a whole day so its getting worse I think, but usually its for minutes or seconds...

No MIL/check engine lights come up when this happens. Im thinking its either the BCM or instrument cluster going bad, but not sure how to proceed. Everything else works, all interior lights work, blinkers do work even though I can hear or see the arrows, radio and steering wheel controls work etc...

I took a couple videos and managed to get them to stop and come back on although it had to be in 2 separate vids.
Youtube links:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you check your battery connections?
Yes checked the normal things like battery connections, grounds, ecu plug, fuses and relays etc.. Haven't had a chance to check the bcm connector yet hopefully tomorrow

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
My first thought, is that the instrument clusters main logic/display chip (or whatever it might be called), is going south on you. I know you said you chacked the fuses, but I still want to say (as a cheap test), to verify the condition or replace the F5-10A fuse (labeled INST/DISP RFA/DLC) located on the REAR fuse panel. It supplies the hot battery bus power to that cluster. If it were flaky an lost its ability to send that power to the cluster (at times), what you see happening, might be caused by it.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
I might be getting rid of my cluster soon, I just need to get this VXR8 cluster up and running.

My cluster doesn't have any issues.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My first thought, is that the instrument clusters main logic/display chip (or whatever it might be called), is going south on you. I know you said you chacked the fuses, but I still want to say (as a cheap test), to verify the condition or replace the F5-10A fuse (labeled INST/DISP RFA/DLC) located on the REAR fuse panel. It supplies the hot battery bus power to that cluster. If it were flaky an lost its ability to send that power to the cluster (at times), what you see happening, might be caused by it.
Just replaced that fuse after your suggestion and it is still happening.
I might be getting rid of my cluster soon, I just need to get this VXR8 cluster up and running.

My cluster doesn't have any issues.
I was actually thinking about purchasing the HSV E3 cluster from LSXTREME already programmed(Correct mileage etc) but would be nice to know if it's Def the cause of the problem first. The only thing is if the mileage doesn't match won't it throw a Tamper flag or something?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update, I have a friend that owns a cluster repair shop. We removed the cluster and he resoldered and checked everything on the cluster main board. It's still doing the same thing but now after a couple days of doing the removal/solder the speedo and tach stopped working. So Even when the cluster is on those 2 gauges do nothing.
So I'm leaning towards the BCM being the problem.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Just a thought. If the body control module (BCM) were indeed the culprit, would the symptoms be isolated to just two inoperative gauges on the instrument cluster? On a totally different vehicle, the dial on the tachometer started acting erratically by moving from side-to-side. The problem was solved after replacing the entire instrument cluster with a used unit and the issue never occurred again. Again, this is just a thought.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure, the two gauges stopped working a couple days ago. The initial symptoms (entire cluster going out intermittently) is why i think the BCM is on its way out. I messaged lsxtreme, specialize in Holden parts, program clusters bcm etc), and they said they experienced the same problems once before on a VE and it was the BCM...

·
Registered
3 Posts
My GXP cluster is also shutting off. Only twice so far and each time I removed the fuse in the trunk, it was good, then I replaced it and things reset both times. Ive read the above comments but don't see a clear answer. Is it the BCM and which connection in the BCM is the culprit?
I also have a 99 Z28 and the same thing happened to certain functions in the dash. I was fortunate because the Z28 board had identified the problem (BCM) and the connection causing the problem. It was a cold solder joint from the factory. I removed the BCM
and took it to a phone repair shop and had it resoldered--No problem.

Anybody got an update?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I had this issue with a Sport red G8 GXP I tuned a while back. The guy ended up selling it due this this very issue. I feel it was a ground somewhere because it only shutoff during hard acceleration

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey STAGEUP! My GT does exactly that! Only under hard acceleration, my speedometer dies but if it’s really bright outside I can still see the pixels on the center display showing current speed or even engineering mode! If I still get that, it has to mean that it’s not the BCM! A ground or a shorted/twisted wire somewhere has to be causing this but I have no clue where to start looking! Does anyone have any idea what grounds I should be looking at first?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
thenicator
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing