Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI everyone.

I am in the Phoenix area and wanted to know if anyone has recently replaced their front struts on their 2009 G8 GT. I have noticed a clunking sound and popped the hood and pushed up and down a few times and saw the strut move up and down on the drivers side. Can anyone recommend a good strut model and shop for repair? I would prefer to stick with OEM parts.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,864 Posts
Sticking with oem affords one perchance two options. The factory oil charged FE2's on the V6 and GT or the gas charged FE3's on the GXP. In my extremely humble opinion, the FE2's were craptastic off the starting line and should have never been installed on a G8. The FE3's are the better choice albeit unsure if they're readily available. Be sure to replace the strut mounts as well, Best "rubber" strut mounts?.

Reactions: zepcom

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
FE3 will be hard to find. The early gen Caprice PPV struts are just a bit stiffer, and are a direct fit. Much easier to find.

·
Premium Member
8,864 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
HI everyone.

I am in the Phoenix area and wanted to know if anyone has recently replaced their front struts on their 2009 G8 GT. I have noticed a clunking sound and popped the hood and pushed up and down a few times and saw the strut move up and down on the drivers side. Can anyone recommend a good strut model and shop for repair? I would prefer to stick with OEM parts.

Thanks.
Your local GM dealer should have the exact part and part number. The FE2 suspension has been around a long time tried and proven and made by the major manufacturers anyway. Probaly Monroe.

You saw the strut move up and down inside the hood. That shows the top mount is stuffed and needs replacing. But you still have to take the strut out to do that as it sits on top of the shock absorber underneath that photgraphed bush and washer so you may as well replace the following

Refer two drawings attached

Mount and Bearing comes as a set usually (5,6)
Bump Stop (7)
Rubber Boot if it's damaged (9)
Cable Ties (8)

Shock absorber (1)
Bolts and Nuts x 2 (3,6) These are stretch bolts and are supposed to be damaged when they stretch with a quarter turn after the Torque of 100Nm.

Video Instructions to remove and install VE/G8 strut

Video Instructions to renew mount, bearing, bump stop, boot

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,864 Posts
By the way, original poster current mileage?

·
Registered
479 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The car has 62,000 miles on it now. It makes a clunking sound over bumps. from my visual inspection it looks like there is a gap between the fender well and the top bushing also.

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT
515 Posts
Definetly need new strut top mounts by those pictures.

·
Premium Member
8,864 Posts
A significant gap between the cup washer and strut tower is a telltale sign of collapsed strut mounts. Reached a decision regarding strut choice?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
A year from brand new, my GT had floating on the highway with the factory Fe2s. They were that bad and with the bobbing and weaving on the 2 lane roads, I couldn’t wait to get them off. Went with the PPVs which with stock springs and stock size 18 inch tires give a firm ride but the handling is planted and with grand touring tires, is perfect as my high performance road trip car.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I too suggest trying to find a factory alternative to the Fe2 - either the FE3s or the PPV struts and a good poly mount (BMR or Superpro). I am on BMR strut mounts with Fe3 struts - big improvement in handling.

·
Registered
479 Posts
If those strut options are not available or are expensive now, the Pedders shocks and struts are a great aftermarket choice.

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So the FE3 were the standard on the GXP? I was doing a little research and it looked like FE1 is base, FE2 GT, and FE3 GXP. Any issues with just changing the front two to FE3 and leaving the backend stock?

·
Premium Member
8,864 Posts
The FE3's came standard on the GXP (6.2L). FE2 was standard on both the base (V6) and GT (6.0L). Don't ever recall seeing a base (V6) with the FE1 suspensions albeit it is listed in various places. FE3's on the front with FE2's on the back is kinda sorta like a horse yoked to a mule plowing a field. While others frown upon it, had the setup and didn't notice a quantifiable difference. Bear in mind, the car rarely had rear seat passengers.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts