Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
OGOC MEMBER
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We own 2 2009's both with the V6 engines.
I recall a thread regarding belt replacement .
Something to do with proper fit between the 08 V6 and the 09 V6.
Could the guys that have already had to change their 09 V6 belt chime in and let me know what belt worked out well. ( Part # would be great)
I would like the gatorback or continental belt however I don't see a listing for them. I don't really want to get the cheap Prestone belts or dayco belts that are offered here at our local parts store.
I generally order most of the parts needed for all our cars from Summit Racing in the U.S. however any part stores that carry a decent belt would help.

Thanks
Eric

·
OGOC MEMBER
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found a bit of time tonight to search through an old thread and found the correct belt number for the 2009 V6 , Continental elite Part # 4061007.

Eric

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
You can use a Gaterback belt from Goodyear. I run them on mine and it's gr8

·
OGOC MEMBER
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your input Les.
Did you order the Goodyear belt from Summit? I couldn't find any listings or part numbers. I called Napa also Davenports they only list Prestone/Dayco here in Canada.
A part number and place you purchased the belt would help .
Thanks
Eric

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
I get my parts from rockauto. Look there and their are choices. But I love the belt no slippage at all.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I changed mine to a gatorback a few years ago...no problems. I didn't have any problems with the stock belt either, just replaced it as a maintenance thing.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I found a bit of time tonight to search through an old thread and found the correct belt number for the 2009 V6 , Continental elite Part # 4061007.

Eric
Hey Eric,

I'm pretty close to you as I'm in Guelph.

I have 155k km on my 2009 G8 V6 and am going to replace my belt as I've been having some squealing after start-up and it lasts longer than ideal. It's also loud enough to make it hard for the person to hear me order coffee at the Tim Horton's drive through speaker! It's the original belt and the pulleys don't look warped (not obviously anyway).

Where did you end up finding or buying one and also did you replace it yourself or take it to a shop/dealership to get it done for you?

I do basically anything I can on my DeLorean myself, but very little on the Pontiac. Chalk it up to having no workshop manuals or how-to's for the most part and not wanting to risk screwing it up and leaving me without a car. I can take my time on the '81 because I don't need to drive it daily. Kinda different story for the G8, lol.

Thanks!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I also did a gatorback on my V6 probably 70,000 miles ago already. It was by far the cheapest on Amazon when I did it a couple years ago, but things may have changed.

I've always been happy with gatorback and have used them on probably 4 or 5 cars with no issues ever. Dayco, on the other hand, I've seen my fair share of issues first hand and will not even give them a chance on the G8, but that could just be me.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
+1^^

·
OGOC MEMBER
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DeloreanG8, I haven't replaced the belt yet, it still chirping away. Ther is no listing or part number that I have found for the belt. Summit, Jegs, rock auto nothing listed for the Gaterback.
The other option is the Preston belt from the local Canadian tire, I just haven't had the time to go and pick one up.
I have spoke with a few guys and mentioned continental belts are tight to go on but you can get them to go, as far as I know ther is no Gaterback part number for the G8 V6 on the planet. My G8 is just a winter beater pretty much so it will likely chirp for a while yet.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Check out the continental belt at rockauto. Its similar $28.51

·
Registered
101 Posts
I got the belt replaced today.

I found a place locally after a suggestion from a body shop friend of mine, and after dropping in there yesterday afternoon, he said come in this morning and he'd have the belt in by then and get it done.

And he did. Right around $100 for the job, including a Gates belt, labour and tax. That's A-Okay with me for price and just knowing it's done and not squeaking anymore either.

·
OGOC MEMBER
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good to hear you found a decent belt. You would be waiting a long time for a Gaterback belt because they don't exist for the V6 G8. I'll get around to doing mine one day.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Good to hear you found a decent belt. You would be waiting a long time for a Gaterback belt because they don't exist for the V6 G8. I'll get around to doing mine one day.
Sorry, Your wrong I got my gaterback belt which is for the V6. Here is the part number for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
At what mileage or kilometers did you change this belt?

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
I changed mine at 110000 kms.

·
OGOC MEMBER
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for posting the part number Les, I'm sure it will help many others out searching .
Cheers
Eric

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
No problem. I just happened to have that pic from when I got it. I love the thing so far no problems.

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
Goodyear originally made two belts for the V6 G8 depending on when the vehicle was manufactured. I believe the other part number is posted on another thread and Les has provided a good shot of one of them. Years ago called Goodyear and inquired why the two different part numbers, and of course, the "technician" was of little help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts