Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 Chevy SS Compared to G8 GXP and Holden Models

I couldn't resist correcting them on their article...Oh well, fun reading nonetheless.

I also agree with them that the new VF platform Commodore SSV looks better than the SS. Of course, I like the most badass one listed the HSV GTS.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Very cool article, quite different from other articles I have read on the topic. Good comparison pictures also.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Seeing the picture of the SS in sliver, than the GXP right after.....It's crazy how after 5 years the GXP still looks better than the SS. I can't get over how ugly that big plastic nose looks on the SS. It has potential with a new front end, and a more aggressive hood. Definitely a let down for me though.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I've seen a lot of comments about the front end, back end, etc. To me, the nose is the biggest issue. Take a look at these from the recent Holden reveal. This nose looks a lot better to me and would be more suited to their theme of classy, refined, performance, whatever they want to call it. It's because it doesn't have that ugly contrasting bowtie and it has at least the appearance of a complete front bumper.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
i was actually thinking the same thinng this is Calay V the bumper looks way better then the SS i would keep the rest but no the bumper.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Fully agree, Skyview, that is a much better nose, even if a bit Hyundai-looking (I get a very Azera vibe).

I don't like how so many automakers are going for the huge undergrille w/black bar in the middle: the Dart R/T and new SRT Chargers (except the Super Bee) have the same look, and it's gross there, too. Not every car has to be an Audi, people!

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
I just read the article, and it's good, but geez, they sure spend enough words ranting about the door handles. I, for one, like the chrome door handles, they add a lot of refinement (looks-wise) over lower-end cars on the road; regardless, though, ranting about that as if it's significant was a bit weird.

·
I maek mah avitar :3
338 Posts
Cruze in the front, Malibu in the back.

Still think a direct copy of the SS-V would've made more sense, colours included.

But what do I care? Not like they're going to be available in Canada. I'm hoping that used PPVs hit the auction blocks.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I am sure people will do front end conversions like they do with the current g8. I say just take everything from the fenders forward and put g8 panels on it. Prob won't fit but a guy can dream. Anyway this is basically a gxp g8 with better interior, lighter body and wider rear wheels. Sounds good to me! I can put lipstick on a pig all day!

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Where are people getting that the rear looks like the malibu? I've seen a malibu in person, and then look at the SS pictures and don't see it.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Yeah, I've seen a lot of comments about the front end, back end, etc. To me, the nose is the biggest issue. Take a look at these from the recent Holden reveal. This nose looks a lot better to me and would be more suited to their theme of classy, refined, performance, whatever they want to call it. It's because it doesn't have that ugly contrasting bowtie and it has at least the appearance of a complete front bumper.

Save GM millions, just take out the chrome grills, put in honeycombed black grills, upper and lower, add a discrete bowtie and call it good!:wink2:

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Save GM millions, just take out the chrome grills, put in honeycombed black grills, upper and lower, add a discrete bowtie and call it good!:wink2:
Or save even more and leave it as is...The Corvette doesn't have a Bowtie, why should the SS? I mean they are calling it a 4 door Vette and all...

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Or save even more and leave it as is...The Corvette doesn't have a Bowtie, why should the SS? I mean they are calling it a 4 door Vette and all...
Yeah, but there aren't a lot of people that would confuse a 'Vette with anything else! I just personally think the exposed black bumper beam between the upper and lower grills is really cheap and ricer looking. Either make it a solid grill from top to bottom, or make the beam body color and split the grill.:wink2:

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
If you look at the headlights and the tail lights on the VF, they made the the same overall shape. Can't understand why more people don't see this.

I for one think it's a handsome car, and they couldn't really make it a polarizing look because they need as many people to buy this car as possible.

The performance is there, the interior is amazing. That's all I need to know.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, but there aren't a lot of people that would confuse a 'Vette with anything else! I just personally think the exposed black bumper beam between the upper and lower grills is really cheap and ricer looking. Either make it a solid grill from top to bottom, or make the beam body color and split the grill.:wink2:
Agree on both counts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I also agree with them that the new VF platform Commodore SSV looks better than the SS. Of course, I like the most badass one listed the HSV GTS.
If they want to call it a Vette, put the LT1 in it, but with an extra 1,000 lb. I don't think they will confuse it the SS with a Vette.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
If they want to call it a Vette, put the LT1 in it, but with an extra 1,000 lb. I don't think they will confuse it the SS with a Vette.
Do not agree. The aftermarket is what may make this car shine, and putting the tried and tested true LS3 in there from the get go means that once these SS's hit the streets, people will be aftermarket-modifying them to suit. Something as simple as "adding headers" currently isn't possible with an LT1 *(but it is with the LS3 in the SS)* due to all the changes within the engine design between the LS3 and LT1.

The LT1 with all new ECM and electronics will most likely take 2+ years to "reverse engineer" the rolling codes on the ECM encryption algorythm, meaning "stock cars" will stay stock for a while until the aftermarket catches up.

The LT1 may stop by in year 2 or year 3 of the SS, if the initial release of the SS is successful. Hopefully by then various Vette-performance-shops could have been hard at work at testing and upgrading the LT1 architecture, and by then, the upgraded powertrain should start to have a steady following of aftermarket accessories, tunes, and power adders to fully unleash the potential of the LT1.

I say the LS3/auto combination is a good start for GM, it's the "hit the grounder to get on base" ... now lets hope year two and year three are positive displacement enhancements in powertrain, looks, and overall fit and finish, and GM has a winner!

:judge:These are just my opinions, for what they're worth.:judge:

--zepcom

1 - 20 of 25 Posts