Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Infantry Sniper
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if anyone has posted this yet (Search came up with nothing) but I read this today about a 2014 G8 GXP (AKA 2014 Chevrolet SS sedan)

For those who like to drive fast but still haul people, Chevrolet is reviving the big rear-wheel-drive muscle car sedan.

It's Chevy's first rear-drive high-performance sedan in 17 years.

The Australian-built car is a new version of the Pontiac G8 GXP, a much-revered sporty car that died when GM scrapped the Pontiac brand late in 2010. The G8 lives on, though, in the Caprice police patrol vehicle. The SS also is sold in Australia as the Holden Commodore.

Chevrolet reached back to its muscle car history to get the SS name. The SS stood for "Super Sport" and was the badge given to high-performance versions of mainstream cars dating to 1961. Chevy sold SS versions of the midsize Chevelle, the Impala full-size car and the Camaro sports car, among others. There even was an SS version of the lowly Chevrolet Cobalt compact in the past decade.

Chevrolet's last rear-drive high-performance sedan was the 1996 Impala SS, a muscle-car version of the mainstream Caprice.
Here are some details about the new SS:

INSIDE: All the SS models come loaded and seat five. Leather seats with added side bolstering for spirited cornering. Nine-speaker sound system. Push-button start. Touch screen. Automatic parallel parking-assist sensors. Lane departure warning, blind-spot detector and backup camera, plus front collision alert.

OUTSIDE: Looks a little like the old G8, but slightly more sculpted with some LED daytime running lights. Wide, athletic stance with wheels pushed out. Slight "power bulge" in the aluminum hood. Big brakes and 19-inch forged aluminum wheels.

UNDER THE HOOD: Same 6.2-liter V-8 engine now used in the 2013 Corvette, with 415 horsepower. The SS can go from zero to 60 mph in under five seconds.

GAS MILEAGE: Not tested yet. Corvette with similar motor gets up to 26 mpg on highway.

PRICE: To be revealed closer to date it goes on sale, sometime in the fourth quarter of this year.

CHEERS: Brings tight handling and neck-snapping acceleration to people who need space to carry people and things.

JEERS: Probably won't get great gas mileage, especially in the city. But if you buy it, do you really care?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Search didn't find anything? "Chevy SS" and check out the home page.....

·
Grand Poobah
295 Posts
Other news from today: the world isn't flat and the sun rises in the east.

·
Registered
468 Posts
2014 :quoties:G8 GXP:quoties:? Has it been posted yet? Can't tell if serious...

·
Super Moderator
4,913 Posts
If they do end up with a higher performance version of the car I think it will be a home-run. Some say that the styling isn't as aggressive as a G8 and that might be true but all you would need is a different hood to change that. I think the silverish color is killing it as far as making the car look aggressive. So add a hood, some more HP, and an optional manual and it would be the epic car we were all hoping for. That interior is awesome. Im loving those seats. They look a lot like gen 2 V seats.

·
Registered
468 Posts
If they do end up with a higher performance version of the car I think it will be a home-run. Some say that the styling isn't as aggressive as a G8 and that might be true but all you would need is a different hood to change that. I think the silverish color is killing it as far as making the car look aggressive. So add a hood, some more HP, and an optional manual and it would be the epic car we were all hoping for. That interior is awesome. Im loving those seats. They look a lot like gen 2 V seats.
If say the MY2015 SS has the LT1 and a M6 in it, sign me up. Even if it's $45k. I'm fine with the GXP until that happens.

·
218 Posts
If say the MY2015 SS has the LT1 and a M6 in it, sign me up. Even if it's $45k. I'm fine with the GXP until that happens.
AGREED!!

Plus, i am still waiting for someone to do a Pontiac Conversion on this. Sorry, but i will not buy this car with a Chevy logo. Doesn't do anything for me.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
yup old news. Im hoping the 2015-2016 versions get some improved power plants. Needs to pump out some more ponies to keep up with the SRT line up (470hp)
It should already keep up with the SRT8 lineup considering it will be 300 or so pounds lighter.

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
Plenty of stuff on the SS forums, too!

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
idk man the new srt's are pretty quick. Ive seen some of the stock ones busting out low 12's @ 115+. I highly doubt the SS will be close to that
Why? Listen, I've been a pretty strong critic of this SS since its "debut" and I completely disagree. A heavier G8 GXP A6 is capable of cracking into the 12's stock, why would you think that this SS w/ lighter weight and the same engine (my money is that it actually is rated lower than it should be) and a 3.27 (i think) rear end wouldn't be equally as fast if not faster?

Probably won't trap the same but I bet it'll be a 12.8/12.9 car in stock form.

I also heard it has staggered wheels, another HUGE turnoff for me, what is the point of that? I mean 90% of the people buying it aren't road racing it, all that does is create additional expense and tire wear.

Tough sell for me...when the SRT's get the 8 speed ZF though? Lights out on the SS unless they change something drastic.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Why? Listen, I've been a pretty strong critic of this SS since its "debut" and I completely disagree. A heavier G8 GXP A6 is capable of cracking into the 12's stock, why would you think that this SS w/ lighter weight and the same engine (my money is that it actually is rated lower than it should be) and a 3.27 (i think) rear end wouldn't be equally as fast if not faster?

Probably won't trap the same but I bet it'll be a 12.8/12.9 car in stock form.

I also heard it has staggered wheels, another HUGE turnoff for me, what is the point of that? I mean 90% of the people buying it aren't road racing it, all that does is create additional expense and tire wear.

Tough sell for me...when the SRT's get the 8 speed ZF though? Lights out on the SS unless they change something drastic.
Drivetrain on the SS looks to be unchanged from that of the GXP, so it will undoubtedly be quicker considering the car is going to be 100-150lbs lighter than the GXP. If the suspension is better on the SS it may make it quicker yet.

Also, low 12s at 115? GXPs get high 12s at the same MPH I believe, and I can't see the heavy SRT8s cutting 60fts that much better than the G8. I thought they were mid 12s stock at best?

·
Sarcasm Personified
3,900 Posts
I'm not going to argue. My opinion is that it's underpowered compared to its competition. Simple as that.

In my book there is a big difference in 12.8's and 12teens. Either way can wait to beat the wheels off of one once they come out.
I agree, also now that the new SRT8 are getting the 8 speed it will even more so. I can't wait to beat up on them either! My money is on the SRT8 until the SS gets the LT1.

·
Premium Member
1,932 Posts
holy have u been living under a rock batman !

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
My guess is they are being intentionally vague on the performance so as to not let the competition know...but seriously? What is going to surprise the competition? Same power train, same basic car, minus a little weight, so why would they say 5.0 0-60 when the GXP was marketed everywhere at 4.6? GM, it's OK to let it out. There is no industrial espionage you need to worry about here, at least in terms of performance, unless they are intentionally underrating the power figures which is certainly a possibility.

Big question for me is price. If they surprise me and it's close to $40K good for them. If it's closer to $50K like I was originally expecting...well...I suppose there are a few people who would cough up that much for one but most of the people here I think would not.

·
Registered
596 Posts
i read yesterday that base price will be 27k i am curious if that turns out to be correct

1 - 20 of 28 Posts