Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped the GT at my local shop today with these wheels. They are installing new tires and removing the old GT wheels.

But, they have run into a problem. The wheels are fitting extremely tight on the original hubs. Has anyone had this issue? They mounted the rear wheels with no tires and torque them on using two bolts only. It took two guys wiggling the wheels back and forth in order to get the wheels off. No tires mounted yet. They are having even more trouble with the front.

Any suggestions from those of your that have mounted these wheels before? Do I need to take a grinder to the hub to smooth them out further?

I am going over to the garage at 8am tomorrow to see for myself.

Thanks forum!!

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I just discovered that the Chevy SS wheels have a center bore of 66.9 and the G8 hub is 67.1.

This look correct?

I guess the only way for these to fit is to clean the G8 hubs the best I can and possibly sand a little paint off the inside of the SS wheels.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I dropped the GT at my local shop today with these wheels. They are installing new tires and removing the old GT wheels.

But, they have run into a problem. The wheels are fitting extremely tight on the original hubs. Has anyone had this issue? They mounted the rear wheels with no tires and torque them on using two bolts only. It took two guys wiggling the wheels back and forth in order to get the wheels off. No tires mounted yet. They are having even more trouble with the front.

Any suggestions from those of your that have mounted these wheels before? Do I need to take a grinder to the hub to smooth them out further?

I am going over to the garage at 8am tomorrow to see for myself.

Thanks forum!!
I think you mentioned before that these were 18 inch wheels but they look like the standard 19 inch wheels. I certainly have 19 inch genuine wheels for this car and they look the same.

The wheels have always been an extremely tight fit. I would suggest running some emery paper around the hubs and insided the wheels. I replaced rotors about six months ago on front and the wheels were extremely tight when taking them off.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, thanks.

Just picked up the car. They used some 6mm spacers, I had delivered, on the front and some 3mm spacers on the rear. I think the shop didn't want to push the wheels to far onto the hubs. About to take it for an hour test drive to see if the wheels stay flat on the ground, if you will.

Haven't decided if I leave it that way or I remove the wheels/spacers, do a little sanding on the hubs and wheels, and then reinstall with no spacers.

They are 19" wheels by the way.

·
Registered
565 Posts
IMO I wouldn't touch the wheels (RE: sanding), mine were a very tight fit on the rear of the GXP, but they went on just fine in the end. This past spring when I swapped them back, again, real tight but no issue all told.

My hubs lived in the southwest so there was a minimal amount of buildup of anything.

-J

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I picked up the GT from the garage about two hours ago. They used the 3mm spacers on the rear and some 6mm I had purchased for the front. Torque'd it all down per spec.

I ran a bunch of errands around town then took it out on the Interstate west of me. Push it up to just under 100 four times and no wheel bounce at all. Car ran nice and straight. I may just leave the spacers on and not bother pulling them, sanding the hubs and reinstalling with no spacers.

Seems go to go at this time!!

Thanks for all the input.

Reactions: 383_Stroker

·
Premium Member
9,088 Posts
So the local shop replaced the lugnut studs as well?

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No. He measured the length of the current stud against a new one. Only difference was the non thread length on the stud. So, I thought I had cut a thread or two as well when I mounted the spacer. Looks like I only removed the non thread top. Therefore no threads missing on the stud so, we left the original ones in place.

Old man memory going I guess. I thought I had cut more off.

They torqued the nuts, took it for a ride, torqued them again and did another test drive. I ran it around town for a few errand, then got on the interstate. Ran it up to 10 a few times and no wheel bounce or shimmy at all.

I'll torque them myself one more time tomorrow.

I think I'm good.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oops. Didn't read my 100 comment above before I restated it.

Old man memory again.:)

·
Premium Member
9,088 Posts
....ran it around town for a few errand, then got on the interstate. Ran it up to 10 a few times and no wheel bounce or shimmy at all...
Up to 10 on the interstate...hmmm.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll send pics when I give it a bath later this week.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Really fast!! Hehe

·
Registered
887 Posts
Ok, call me confused .

So the wheels were not all the way on when you were asking about stud length in this thread ??

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not fully seated but very close. The wheels fit very tight and when thinking about it, I may not have had it all the way on the hub to be honest.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've had this issue with a lot of vehicles, most notable our current G8. If you are in the rust-belt, its a high probability that there is just a bit of corrosion on the wheel hub bore (assuming the SS wheels were rolled through the elements as well). Just take a wire wheel or equivalent and knock off the crust and it'll fit just fine.

·
Registered
220 Posts
So these wheels naturally become tighter due to age and light corrosion etc. I have been taking the same wheels on and off since new (14 years).

It doesn't need harsh sand paper. They are meant to be a tight fit and sometimes takes a little time to get them perfectly centred to go on.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This post has been a fitment issue for 2015 Chevy SS wheels being mounted on the GT.

·
Registered
220 Posts
OK not knowing what are fitted on the Chevy SS and the photo above shows the original G8 wheels...

Googling here the VF Commodore SSV wheels which is the model equiv to Chevy SS, says do not fit vehicles with Bembro Brakes.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Others here on the forum have installed the Chevy SS 19" wheels on their cars. My issue was, I didn't realize they fit so tight. At this time, I have 6mm spacers on the front and 3mm spacers on the car with the SS wheels installed. My local shop installed it this way and if definitely clears the Brembo's.

One weekend, I may pull the wheels remove the spacers, sand down the hubs a bit and see if I can get them fully onto the hub, while still clearing the Brembo's. For now, it all seems to be working fine and I don't plan on touching it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Just out of interest here is a fitment guide for Commodore wheels (select 2006 through 2017)

Ignore the ZB Commodore 2018. That was the last pile of Sh*t Holden brought in from Opel Germany. Sold for a year here then Holden closed down

The fitment guide for the VE Commodore (2006) to VF Commodore (2017), (G8 to Chevy SS) shows the centre bore at 66.9mm for all cars. You mentioned 66.9mm

If you hover over the information (i) at the centre bore, it says some factory wheels are the same 66.9mm centre bore to match the hub to reduce vibration.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts