Pontiac G8 Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Slowly gaining acceptance
531 Posts
Brembo Lt Rear Caliper ACDelco 172-2309 Amazon $155.43 1 $9.33 $164.76

I've been playing caliper roulette on the 172-2309 since August. Then, Amazon had them at $211.88. The price had been coming down to the point where last week it was $180 and change. I looked tonight and the price is back up to $211.88. Since I'm not doing my rears until it is time to put the summers back on, I'll keep waiting until the price is more reasonable again. I got the 172-2308 last month for $129.11 doing this.

·
198 Posts
Good shopping!! $129.11 was a steal for that caliper. I paid $195 for the 08 and $155.43 for the 09 and was happy to get them for that.

·
531 Posts
Good shopping!! $129.11 was a steal for that caliper. I paid $195 for the 08 and $155.43 for the 09 and was happy to get them for that.

In a moment of weakness I pulled the trigger today on the 172-2309 when it hit $187.68, which was $25.10 off what they had it priced at. Now I have everything I need to do the swap, which I'll take care of when I swap the summer wheels and tires back on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
A two year follow-up

After getting 20k+ miles on this set up:
Front GXP brake calipers
Front GXP DBA 4000 rotors
Rear 2013 Camaro SS brakes
Rear 2015 Chevy SS rotors
Hawk ceramic pads all around
Russell stainless steel + braided lines
here's my feedback...

I found that you must avoid hawk ceramic pads at all costs lol. Not only do they create a dust layer in less than 2 miles, they also make a horrible screeching noise in low mph (ie. parking lots, stop/go traffic, etc). Pretty much any time you're braking from 5mph or less, expect a screeching noise. Noise issue aside, the brakes never let me down, they stopped the car no issues, I just couldn't deal with the constant cleaning and screech sound at every stop. Maybe it was my set up but it did this from day 1 until I got the pads replaced about 3 months ago. The only thing that was changed from the set up were the brake pads, I went with Power Stop Z26 and couldn't be happier. Car stops when I need it to, considerably decrease in brake dust, and no screeching noise at any mph.

Planning to step up to Aerospace components lightened brake components in the future.

All the best,
Luis

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Pictures of the aftermath

·
531 Posts
I like the gold. I was too lazy to repaint my calipers, so they are still sliver with Cadillac V logos on them.

Two years later on my upgrade and overall I'm very happy with the outcome. I did end up replacing the front rotors with coated Centrics, and picked up Duralast Max Ceramic pads for the fronts last spring while I had the front end apart for other work, because the original pads were noisy and dirty, and the rotors were rusty. A pair of coated Centrics arrived today, and I'm running to Autozone in the next few days to get matching pads for the rear, so I can swap them in while I'm doing my summer tire switch over in a couple weeks, when I get those wheels back from restoration.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
In case anyone is interested, I went with Prismatic Powders, "illusion dorado". Ordered directly from them and had a local shop coat them. I wasn't satisfied with the amount of clear gloss so I followed up with SprayMax 2k Clear (3680061); both links below. I'm not sure if SprayMax discontinued the product I used (368001) but Amazon still has it for sale.

The coated Centrics are very nice! They look a ton better than the stock ones or any other aftermarket that doesn't have the black e-coat on the center hat.

·
Premium Member
7,868 Posts
The illusion dorado is a "subtle" color and the car looks great.

Reactions: God Speed

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
21 - 31 of 31 Posts