Pontiac G8 Forum banner

2016+ 6th gen calipers - changing/upgrading gxp brakes

9K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  Just1nASec 
#1 ·
Hey guys, hope y'all having a good Christmas. I've researched for some time now the necessary steps to upgrade to the rear brembo set up. I have a few questions regarding the 2016+ camaro calipers (front and rear)
1. Are they the same as 2010-2015 camaro calipers
2. Would they fit 2015+ Chevy SS rotors
3. Are dba 4000 t3 front rotors really worth the hype?

I was originally planning on doing the ctsv1 all around caliper upgrade since the price I see for the rears only is almost as much as for all of them (found through eBay). Alternatively, I could keep my front brembos and purchase used camaro rears but not a fan of the parts I've found so far.

Experience much appreciated!

#2 ·
I can only provide input on #3, but I would say no, the DBA rotors are not worth the extra cost. I have drilled/slotted rotors from Brake Performance paired with Duralast carbon fiber front/ceramic rear pads and braking performance is great. No fading and excellent bite, pretty much everything I'd expect from my brakes with my usual semi-aggressive driving. Even did the Tail of the Dragon back in October and no complaints. You can spend more money on parts if you want to, but I don't see you getting any measurable benefit from it.

#3 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Not completely sold on the T3 either but will look into the Brake Performance rotors. I'm trying to order the rear Chevy SS rotors but the "120." and "121." Centric part numbers are throwing me off. Did you do the rear brembo swap by any chance? I want to order from Rock Auto but because of the price difference between what others have posted and what I'm seeing ($39.79 for 12162147 and $53.79 for 12062147), I'm hesitant. Not sure if I should order from Rock Auto or BuyBrakes.com.

#6 ·
Pin kit / Crush washer / brake replacement hardware

I'm looking to order new pin kits for front and rear, I think I've found them through ebay. But not sure where to get the crush washers from, and do banjo bolts have to be replaced as well?

#7 ·
I just did mine this past August. Here are all the part numbers and prices I paid. The Banjo bolts were longer than the stock ones but I'm not sure you absolutely have to have them. I did forget to order the copper washers for the Banjo bolts but was able to successfully re-use the stock ones. New ones would be preferred. You definitely need to order the caliper mounting bolts and use a little thread lock on them. These calipers did come with the CTSV logo but I was able to sand it off and use Dupli-color silver caliper paint, Brembo decals and Dupli-color clear engine enamel to make them look right.

Brembo Rt Rear Caliper ACDelco 172-2308 Amazon $195.00 1 $11.70 $206.70

Brembo Lt Rear Caliper ACDelco 172-2309 Amazon $155.43 1 $9.33 $164.76

2015 - 2017 Chevy SS Rear Disc Centric Premium 12062147 CarID $53.63/ea 2 $11.25 $118.51

Carbon Ceramic Brake Pads Powerstop Z26-1053 Summit Racing $57.99 1 $57.99
with caliper clips and pins

Mounting Bolts (4) GM (92139080) Ebay ZZ Perf esales $20.99 1 $20.99
Banjo Brake Line Bolts (2) Ebay ZZ Perf esales $12.99 1 $12.99

#8 ·
Brembo Rt Rear Caliper ACDelco 172-2308 Amazon $195.00 1 $11.70 $206.70

Brembo Lt Rear Caliper ACDelco 172-2309 Amazon $155.43 1 $9.33 $164.76

2015 - 2017 Chevy SS Rear Disc Centric Premium 12062147 CarID $53.63/ea 2 $11.25 $118.51

Carbon Ceramic Brake Pads Powerstop Z26-1053 Summit Racing $57.99 1 $57.99
with caliper clips and pins

Mounting Bolts (4) GM (92139080) Ebay ZZ Perf esales $20.99 1 $20.99
Banjo Brake Line Bolts (2) Ebay ZZ Perf esales $12.99 1 $12.99
SRM6 thanks for the info!! Just a few questions, I'm assuming the numbers following the price of the items was the shipping or do I have that wrong?

Also, the brake pads came with the pin kit for the caliper?? I wonder if hawk pads come with the pin kits as well. I read that some of the guys got their mounting bolts from home depot but if not I'll order them from ZZP as well; I need the banjo but I saw that Goodridge brake line kit includes washers and banjo bolts. https://www.carid.com/goodridge/g-stop-brake-line-kit-mpn-12242.html?singleid=1347325983&url=525436

I haven't checked yet but the PNs you provided for the Brembo calipers are for CTSV1 rear calipers or Camaro rear SS calipers?

#10 ·
DBA’s are good stuff. Ran them with Hawk ceramics for several years before my swap.
There seem to be more options out there now. Worth it or not, who knows...

#11 ·
I guess l'll find out. I've had my rotors and pads since I purchased it about 6 years ago so I'm sure DBA + Hawk cannot be worse than what I have now lol (considering the installation goes smoothly).

Got the pin kits from ZZPerformance through eBay after all. I couldn't find any part numbers to write down just descriptions. I'm getting the mounting bolts from a local hardware store. Dealer wants $5/screw lol.

#12 ·
Brake line kit

I was hoping someone would point me in the right direction (right PN) for the Goodridge brake line kit that I'll need for this set up. I'll be using '09 gxp front brembo and '13 camaro rear brembo. Has anyone tried this before with aftermarket brake lines?

Came across this thread (https://www.g8board.com/forums/7-suspension-brakes/47090-camaro-ss-rear-brembo-calipers.html - see post#4) while searching up info and it seems the only issue is the stock camaro rear banjo bolts which are apparently too long; this is only an issue when using the stock g8 lines. Not sure if it will still be an issue with aftermarket brake lines. Also, seems like the g8gt uses the same banjo bolts all around, unsure if this is the case with the gxp.

So do I order the '13 camaro brake line kit or ctsV1 brake line kit, do both platforms use same mounting points? I'm under the assumption that both of these cars essentially use the same brembo calipers (front/rear) with different decals.

#14 ·
Rear Brembo Upgrade

I used my stock brake lines with this set-up. I read that unless you autocross or otherwise put extra stress on your brakes (which I don't) there is no need to upgrade the brake lines. I purged the entire brake hydraulic system with this install and have been very happy with the pedal feel and stopping performance. I have also noticed a much improved parking brake performance.

#15 · (Edited)
I used my stock brake lines with this set-up. I read that unless you autocross or otherwise put extra stress on your brakes (which I don't) there is no need to upgrade the brake lines. I purged the entire brake hydraulic system with this install and have been very happy with the pedal feel and stopping performance. I have also noticed a much improved parking brake performance.
The need to upgrade brake lines depends on what you are starting with and how hard you are going to be stomping on the brakes. I have a truck that the brake system is known so be on the spongy side and an emergency stomp on the brakes at speed results in a lot of mush in the pedal and not the expected brake action. So stainless brake lines will help there. On the G8, like you said, not really needed unless you are doing a lot of aggressive braking.

The mention of the stock G8 brake lines not fitting with stock camaro rear banjo bolts hopefully has the fix worked out.

#17 ·
It's only a 10 minute job to switch the fluid transfer line and bleeders. It's easier if you have a flare nut wrench to break the fittings loose without rounding them. Don't be surprised if the area behind the transfer line rubber support is not painted when you remove it. I just sprayed some of the silver caliper paint on a piece of cardboard and used a very small brush to touch it up. Worked perfectly.

#22 ·
Good shopping!! $129.11 was a steal for that caliper. I paid $195 for the 08 and $155.43 for the 09 and was happy to get them for that.

#23 ·
In a moment of weakness I pulled the trigger today on the 172-2309 when it hit $187.68, which was $25.10 off what they had it priced at. Now I have everything I need to do the swap, which I'll take care of when I swap the summer wheels and tires back on.

#25 ·
A two year follow-up

After getting 20k+ miles on this set up:
Front GXP brake calipers
Front GXP DBA 4000 rotors
Rear 2013 Camaro SS brakes
Rear 2015 Chevy SS rotors
Hawk ceramic pads all around
Russell stainless steel + braided lines
here's my feedback...

I found that you must avoid hawk ceramic pads at all costs lol. Not only do they create a dust layer in less than 2 miles, they also make a horrible screeching noise in low mph (ie. parking lots, stop/go traffic, etc). Pretty much any time you're braking from 5mph or less, expect a screeching noise. Noise issue aside, the brakes never let me down, they stopped the car no issues, I just couldn't deal with the constant cleaning and screech sound at every stop. Maybe it was my set up but it did this from day 1 until I got the pads replaced about 3 months ago. The only thing that was changed from the set up were the brake pads, I went with Power Stop Z26 and couldn't be happier. Car stops when I need it to, considerably decrease in brake dust, and no screeching noise at any mph.

Planning to step up to Aerospace components lightened brake components in the future.

All the best,
Luis

#26 ·
Pictures of the aftermath

#27 ·
I like the gold. I was too lazy to repaint my calipers, so they are still sliver with Cadillac V logos on them.

Two years later on my upgrade and overall I'm very happy with the outcome. I did end up replacing the front rotors with coated Centrics, and picked up Duralast Max Ceramic pads for the fronts last spring while I had the front end apart for other work, because the original pads were noisy and dirty, and the rotors were rusty. A pair of coated Centrics arrived today, and I'm running to Autozone in the next few days to get matching pads for the rear, so I can swap them in while I'm doing my summer tire switch over in a couple weeks, when I get those wheels back from restoration.

#28 ·
In case anyone is interested, I went with Prismatic Powders, "illusion dorado". Ordered directly from them and had a local shop coat them. I wasn't satisfied with the amount of clear gloss so I followed up with SprayMax 2k Clear (3680061); both links below. I'm not sure if SprayMax discontinued the product I used (368001) but Amazon still has it for sale.

The coated Centrics are very nice! They look a ton better than the stock ones or any other aftermarket that doesn't have the black e-coat on the center hat.

#30 ·
Thank you sir, greatly appreciated!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.