Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
SUSP3CT
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Does anyone own or has experience regarding the 2019-2020 Corolla Hatchback? I'm looking to replace my 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier winter beater for a newer, more reliable and convenient car. I test drove an automatic last year and found it quite fun to drive around town. I will go test drive a manual one next week. I really like the design of that one for some reason, especially with the added factory wing in the back. They are known to be bulletproof and with a budget around 25-30K tax in, I doubt I could find a better option. Looked at the Civic, but they are everywhere. Mazda3, not too sure, not a fan of the look.

Any input is appreciated!

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
They're nice looking cars, I much prefer the hatch look than the sedan.

Can't really go wrong with their reliability and driveability.

·
SUSP3CT
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For less money, I'd rather have a used WRX hatchback.
I think these would cost way more in maintenance and are known to be less reliable...

·
SUSP3CT
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I prefer the convenience of something brand new, in the same country...but thanks for the offer ;)

·
Registered
719 Posts
For a daily commuter in that class/budget, I'd get a Subaru Crosstrek with CVT and Eyesight. Subarus Eyesight (adaptive cruise) works incredibly well. Opt for the manual if you want, but having the CVT makes is so you only have to steer when the cruise is set.

·
SUSP3CT
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My winter vehicle is a Hummer H3. Just got my G8 out of storage yesterday. So [email protected]&%%$* good to be behind the wheel again.
I bet you never get stuck! I know reliability has been an issue with those, how is your experience so far?

Oh I bet...can't wait to take out mine either...but the roads around here are still way too dirty.

·
SUSP3CT
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For a daily commuter in that class/budget, I'd get a Subaru Crosstrek with CVT and Eyesight. Subarus Eyesight (adaptive cruise) works incredibly well. Opt for the manual if you want, but having the CVT makes is so you only have to steer when the cruise is set.
Since the G8 is an automatic, I really want a manual transmission as daily driver. I like being involved. Tried a few CVTs and they don't do it for me...It drives me nuts knowing the car should shift and it doesn't. The Corolla has an "adaptative" CVT that shifts, but still doesn't feel right.

I have been looking at the Toyota GT86 as well...not the smartest choice for a daily but it's everything I'm looking for in a car except for practicality haha.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Since the G8 is an automatic, I really want a manual transmission as daily driver. I like being involved. Tried a few CVTs and they don't do it for me...It drives me nuts knowing the car should shift and it doesn't. The Corolla has an "adaptative" CVT that shifts, but still doesn't feel right.

I have been looking at the Toyota GT86 as well...not the smartest choice for a daily but it's everything I'm looking for in a car except for practicality haha.
Yeah, I hear ya. I like driving manuals as well. However, having driven more and more with adaptive cruise (wife's 2018 Atlas has it), I can't see buying a new car (other than sports car) without it. And in turn, having an auto to take advantage of full range, as in the car stops for you and you press a button to get going again. Of course that only works if a car is in front of you. Great for traffic/commuting. Subaru's CVT is also "adaptive" and sort of shifts. They even have manual mode, and maybe paddles on the steering wheel, but don't quote me on that. And regardless of adaptive cruise, I'd still check out the Crosstrek, they come in manual.

This is my cousin's Crosstrek that I helped him get new. It's mostly stock, but sitting on some Method offroad wheels and Cooper AT tires.

GT86 is a VERY fun car. Good friend has a 2013 BRZ that I've driven a few times, and it's a blast with the 6-spd. Exemplifies the saying, "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow." That said, it would not make a very good commuter. Not due to size, but it's not very comfortable. The seats are quite hard for riding any distance.

·
SUSP3CT
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm lucky enough to live in an area with zero traffic, takes me 8 minutes to work on a County Road with almost zero cars going my way. The Crosstrek definitely seems like a decent car, but I'm really not of fan of the look for some reason.

So I drove the GT86 yesterday...Don't get me wrong, it's a really fun little car in twisties, but there is not a lot of those in my area. In a straight line it's completely gutless and quite boring. Even my girlfriend looked at me and said "well this is quite slow". I just don't see myself driving that car in the winter, it's quite crammed. Would be an ideal summer car if it had a turbo.

I'm going to stick with the Corolla, just need to test drive a manual one.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'm lucky enough to live in an area with zero traffic, takes me 8 minutes to work on a County Road with almost zero cars going my way. The Crosstrek definitely seems like a decent car, but I'm really not of fan of the look for some reason.

So I drove the GT86 yesterday...Don't get me wrong, it's a really fun little car in twisties, but there is not a lot of those in my area. In a straight line it's completely gutless and quite boring. Even my girlfriend looked at me and said "well this is quite slow". I just don't see myself driving that car in the winter, it's quite crammed. Would be an ideal summer car if it had a turbo.

I'm going to stick with the Corolla, just need to test drive a manual one.
Oh yeah, lucky you. And yeah, I'd take a manual in that case too. My commute is 60 miles each way with mixed road sizes and quantities of traffic. Luckily I only make that drive 2-3 days a week at most.

And yeah, that's why I said, "slow car fast," on the 86. haha. They're not fast really at all. And yes, my buddy garages his all winter and drives is new Colorado most of the time.

Good luck in your search. Still hard to beat a Toyota or Honda.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Daily driver has a manual transmission and still enjoy driving it although the roominess aspect could be better... hah. Best of fortune locating a suitable daily driver.

·
SUSP3CT
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tested the Corolla Sedan SE and loved it. Still haven't had the chance to try the manual but I'm sure I would enjoy it. Basically the goal is to buy a car that there is no way I could start modding and that is reliable. I think the Corolla fits the bill. The Silver colour is pretty neat too. I think it'll age better than the hatchback...

·
SUSP3CT
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
FInally ended up getting a 2020 Hyundai Veloster Turbo in Dark Night with the Manual transmission! Fun little car, reliable according to the reviews.

·
Registered
719 Posts
FInally ended up getting a 2020 Hyundai Veloster Turbo in Dark Night with the Manual transmission! Fun little car, reliable according to the reviews.
Unexpected twist. haha. I would have never thought to suggest that car, but I do like them when I see them.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Enjoy the new Hyundai.

·
SUSP3CT
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Unexpected twist. haha. I would have never thought to suggest that car, but I do like them when I see them.
Right? I think they are pretty neat as well. Still a hatchback, but a lot more fun to drive and sportier than the Corolla, for not a lot more price wise.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts