Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
HPT Pro Tuner
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last time I tried to get a cam couldn't do it cause different opportunities with a house took the priority :), wife is happy now after our new house, and I have another chance of camming this biatch. I don't care about dyno numbers, so that's why i'm posting in this section of the forum...

I won't be doing anything else other than a cam, so no ported heads or intake, I thought a 223/227 or 219/223 with LSL lobes would be good after watching Rick C experiences with small cams, so is anybody running 223/227 610/614 113+1 or something like a 219/223 607/610 112+0, please post your track impressions.

Rick C, I don't know if you can put together a complete package, but if so, please let me know and I go with whatever you say :)

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
786 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Subd...how are you feeling Dario?

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have the 219/227 .604/614 113+1 in my car now and its right on par with all the other cams that vms/livernoise sell as far as power goes. I dynoed 394 without ported heads or Intake etc. The lowend power comes quick in the rpms and holds out to 6650. Its really a nice cam and im happy with it. The lope is about the same as all the other stage 1 cams also.

Quick video:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=rhjc1NXn-dc

·
HPT Pro Tuner
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Subd...how are you feeling Dario?
Getting better dude, still not 100% but way better, getting ready for August for the 2nd surgery, so after that i'll expect to be in full shape.

·
HPT Pro Tuner
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The cam specs I think im gonna go with were suggested to me by Rick. Its a small cam making HUGE numbers below the curve so its basically a nice "street" cam which is what I want. Great for stock stall, gears, but would be maximized with modified heads and requires LS3 valves.

"The Little Lunati That Could"
219/223 .625/.625 112+0

READ THIS
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/tech/lsx_engine/ghtp_1108_ls1_engine_cam_test/viewall.html
Nice article, Thanks for sharing, i'll be doing some more digging on this small cam, my heads and valves would remain stock for now, so it's going to be literally a cam only build :) since I really need to keep my cost down.

·
HPT Pro Tuner
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the 219/227 .604/614 113+1 in my car now and its right on par with all the other cams that vms/livernoise sell as far as power goes. I dynoed 394 without ported heads or Intake etc. The lowend power comes quick in the rpms and holds out to 6650. Its really a nice cam and im happy with it. The lope is about the same as all the other stage 1 cams also.

Quick video:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=rhjc1NXn-dc
Do you have track times with it ? Initially I wanted to go with a big cam, 229/236, but without increasing compression, I won't enjoy the full benefits, and doing so would require notching down my pistons, and running a thinner head gasket, more money and complications for what I want out of her. So now i'm looking into the small end of the L92 cams trying to keep things fairly simple :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
I did a 12.8 @ 113 mph with 2.1 60fts. It was 85 degrees and Im in need of a retune.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
One I just got was a 224-236 642-612 112+0. Should do pretty good I hope. Rick was thinking mid to high 11s with good air which never happens around KC. Dont have it installed in the car yet as the engine is still being built.

EDIT... Need valve reliefs!!!! post #15

·
HPT Pro Tuner
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Monte, 224/236 with 112+0 lsa, would that have enough piston clearance?
TSP also has the 225/230 617/612 112 LSA, i guess 112+2, that i'll be checking tomorrow.

·
HPT Pro Tuner
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Also checking a guy in Ozzy land with a simple Comp 224/228 114+2 running [email protected] with massaged heads, no ported intake, stock stall. I won't be touching the heads, and the cam is close to what Troy runs, 223/231 if i'm not mistaken, but Troy has ported everything, and i won't be going that way, for me it would be cam only with un-ported everything, at least for now :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Crawford DoD Lunati cam 221/225 .558/.564" 113+1
Car that ran this ended up doing 11.84 at 122 on stock gear and converter.

·
HPT Pro Tuner
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Rocket, that's why i'm looking into some of this small cams, power everywhere, great idle, easy tuning, that track time right there is crazy fast for a heavy car and a small bump stick with DOD to top it off Lol.

·
Advanced Member
1,202 Posts
The smaller cams on tighter lsa with our heads and intake seems to do much better than larger cams which cam be hit or miss plus all the draw backs of large cams. The 223/227 113+1 cam jjhummus is running but he is running my top-end. He posted dyno numbers of it using the stock mid pipe exhaust. It held within 5 HP of peak all the way to 6800. If you have the heads off, at least back-cut the intake valves. Monte can run his cam because he had aftermarket pistons with valve reliefs.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
What's considered a "smaller" cam? I also am wondering if a cam with less duration, and more lift, would be better than the opposite?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Thanks Monte, 224/236 with 112+0 lsa, would that have enough piston clearance?
TSP also has the 225/230 617/612 112 LSA, i guess 112+2, that i'll be checking tomorrow.
I am not for sure if you would or not, I had the heads milled .048 and 3.2 valve reliefs on the piston. I would think since you not doing any head work you should be fine. But check with rick first or a machine shop.

EDIT.... It wont work post#15

·
Advanced Member
1,202 Posts
What's considered a "smaller" cam? I also am wondering if a cam with less duration, and more lift, would be better than the opposite?

Technically if you have airflow and heads that will support it, less duration with more lift will make broader power and give better street manners. Low-lift cams are always easier on springs....

·
Registered
874 Posts
You can also consider my cam:
224 228 .629 .629 on a 114 +4
I haven't installed it yet but it's spec'd by Pat G. and RC is doing all my headwork and intake/TB as well. I should have it running early July.
Many options out there, if you stick with Pat G. or Rick C. you will be alright!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.