Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a bit of extremely biased advice. I have a dealership offering me 24k for my fully loaded g8 gt liquid red with 18k miles. Its in great condition except for a few rock chips (durh). Rims are flawless 19in sunroof leather blah blah. Anyways I'm looking at rolling in a lease of a 31.5k car and owe about 20k. They gave me a payment of 280/month. Here's where I need advice. Is 24k even that fantastic? Would I have more success selling it myself?

I'm also up for someone twisting my arm to keep the car, but the winter months up here force me to store the car. Hard to justify these payments for a car I drive 8 months out of the year, but I have a beater :|

Oh also PLEASE don't kill me but this is what i'm looking at (fully loaded):

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I would think you'd be kicking yourself, so much less power with the KIA and front wheel drive, I dunno, I think it's a real trade down. Why not just put some good m and s tires on the G8 and keep driving it all winter, from what I've heard they go pretty good in the snow with the right tires and they are a rugged car.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did you like optima?

Yea it was fully loaded top model and had a lot of new gadgets. Its turbo charged 271 hp but obviously no g8 on power. The ride wasnt very smooth though.

Im only considering this to reduce my payments. Sorta overcommitted on a house purchase.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yea it was fully loaded top model and had a lot of new gadgets. Its turbo charged 271 hp but obviously no g8 on power. The ride wasnt very smooth though.

Im only considering this to reduce my payments. Sorta overcommitted on a house purchase.

I'd rather have a nice, comfortable home and a cheaper car than an awesome car and live in a crappy home.

That being said, you will kick yourself if you get rid of the G8!

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
I was offered 24k last month from a Chevy dealer. I am also considering an Optima.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I was offered 24k last month from a Chevy dealer. I am also considering an Optima.
Interesting how G8 owners think about the Optima. I think it might have something to do with the fact the Optima looks a little bit like the G8. I really thought about a Optima myself a few months back before I got my second G8 GT as a more practical alternative to buying a used G8 GT. The closer I looked at the Optima, the more I thought about just getting another G8 GT. (reason I have two G8 GT's is cause I'm a snowbird and fly back and forth rather than the long 3 day drive, plus effectively doubles the life of both cars this way, less miles driven) Soooo, what did I not like about the Optima. 1) front wheel drive 2) don't like the front seats at all 3) Your going to see these cars everywhere, a dime a dozen and the G8 GT is different, don't see many of them. 4) I knew if I got a Optima I'd be modding it and with front wheel drive your kinda limited, I could see myself torque steering into a tree with 400 front wheel hp, lol. 5) The Kia Optima is really not all that much better on gas and insurance costs are the same so really would not be saving hardly anything.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting how G8 owners think about the Optima. I think it might have something to do with the fact the Optima looks a little bit like the G8. I really thought about a Optima myself a few months back before I got my second G8 GT as a more practical alternative to buying a used G8 GT. The closer I looked at the Optima, the more I thought about just getting another G8 GT. (reason I have two G8 GT's is cause I'm a snowbird and fly back and forth rather than the long 3 day drive, plus effectively doubles the life of both cars this way, less miles driven) Soooo, what did I not like about the Optima. 1) front wheel drive 2) don't like the front seats at all 3) Your going to see these cars everywhere, a dime a dozen and the G8 GT is different, don't see many of them. 4) I knew if I got a Optima I'd be modding it and with front wheel drive your kinda limited, I could see myself torque steering into a tree with 400 front wheel hp, lol. 5) The Kia Optima is really not all that much better on gas and insurance costs are the same so really would not be saving hardly anything.
Yea no I get where youre coming from. I can't afford one g8 let alone 2. My savings will come from going from a buy to a lease 471 to 280 per mo. Also mileage I disagree on. My g8 gets about 22 and avg was about 28. Not huge but something. Shrug guess I just dont know if 24k is good. Might also look at a wrx but suspect subaru wont deal as hard ad kia.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I can sell you a really nice 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT with 33 K miles on it for $13,900.00!!! Thats the car I replaced with the new G8 GT, just gotta sell the mits now, was waiting for the registry to send me the title the last few months, finally got it. This way you can sell your G8 GT for 24K and put ten grand in your pocket.

Attachments

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No thanks. Want new also I owe ~20k on the g8 still.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
HA! I had mentioned an Optima not a week ago in here! They are nice looking cars, in serious need of a wheel upgrade tho. Why not try Carmax and see what they'll give you? But 24k from a dealer in trade isn't hateful thats for sure.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The mits is a blast to drive, feels like driving a go cart, loads of fun and some cool mods too!!! The hatchback comes in mighty handy too.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
24K seems pretty good on trade. About 4 months ago, while we were SUV shopping, I was offered 25K, but luckily I got to keep my car and trade in the wifes car.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
The last car I'd ever give up a G8 for is a Kia. Hell, I wouldn't give up a G6 for one. Good luck on your resale value.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow, this story hits home with me! I had a 2009 GT and was looking at the Optima turbo as well. I ended up with the sister car sonata turbo...........sonata is better built and less plastic like inside. (ride is a lil better too) Anyhow NOT one day goes buy that I don't kick myself in the ass for getting rid of my G8. None the less I am looking for another G8 as we speak. Don't do it is my opinion............yes I have the fully loaded model as well and the navi is awesome but the G8 is just hands down an awesome car! (I am a Hyundai salesman for 10 years now!)

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, this story hits home with me! I had a 2009 GT and was looking at the Optima turbo as well. I ended up with the sister car sonata turbo...........sonata is better built and less plastic like inside. (ride is a lil better too) Anyhow NOT one day goes buy that I don't kick myself in the ass for getting rid of my G8. None the less I am looking for another G8 as we speak. Don't do it is my opinion............yes I have the fully loaded model as well and the navi is awesome but the G8 is just hands down an awesome car! (I am a Hyundai salesman for 10 years now!)
That post and my poor experience at one of the kia dealerships just made me keep the g8. Thanks all, knew I could rely on you guys to convince me.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It was a 0% apr loan. Ill have to work through it somehow!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
20 Participants
kkhamil23
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing