Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got some pirreli pzero 275/40/19 run flats for the rear wheels on my car and i cant find anywhere a good psi to put in them it just says max is 51psi and the tire shop put 45psi in them but that seems crazy high to me. I was thinking of just putting them down to around 30-35psi but idk if run flats are supposed to be at a higher psi or what so im hoping some of you guys will know this answer.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Run flats do not need to run at a higher pressure. If I remember correctly, rear tire pressure on the G8 is 39 psi. The max pressure indicated on the sidewall is simply that: the maximum the tire is designed to hold and is not relevant to the pressure you are supposed to run in your car. Remember, a given size, such as the 245/40R19 may be used on a multitude of vehicles and the required pressure is a function of the Gross Axle Weight Rating for that particular vehicle. The GAWR will vary from a G8 to BMW to Buick Regal, etc.

·
Registered
682 Posts
From what I've read on many many forums, your best bet would be to take them off and buy something else. Not trying to be a d*ck, but I have yet to hear a positive review about any run flat tire.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
From what I've read on many many forums, your best bet would be to take them off and buy something else. Not trying to be a d*ck, but I have yet to hear a positive review about any run flat tire.
This. Garbage "tires" with an even worse ride.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was in bad need for tires and got these with 80% thread left bought and installed for 100$

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
100% untrue about runflats being junk. Ever driven a Michelin Pilot PS2 runflat? Best rated track street tire out. I have them on my track wheels. You do get what you pay for. Much less sidewall flex. Yes you lose a little "comfort." If your lookin for comfort in a tire buy a set of 17s. Plus I have a little more piece of mind with the runflats.

Sent from my fresh lubed iPhone

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
On the road, they are junk. The track may be a different story.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Use the PSI in the door jamb.

As for Runflats being junk, I don't think so. Heavier, little more harsh, but not much.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
"Junk" is by far not the correct word to use. Runflats are by far way better constructed than a non runflat. Yes they are stiffer than a soft sidewall tire. Even on a Vette its hard to tell the difference between the two tires stiffness wise. Now a Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar runflat? Those are just junk tires no matter what. Even in standard tire those ride like ass. I work with runflats and Vettes all the time.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Okay okay, maybe junk isn't the best word but I was a passenger in a 540i and couldn't believe how harsh and noisy the tires were. I guess it'd be different in performance applications.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Okay okay, maybe junk isn't the best word but I was a passenger in a 540i and couldn't believe how harsh and noisy the tires were. I guess it'd be different in performance applications.
When? RFT tech has changed a lot since it was introduced.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts