Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I do it? Can I put 275's on stock 19's on the rear with stock ride height without any rubbing? Will they look awful on there?

·
Grand Prix Guy
272 Posts
I'm running 275/35/19's stock tires but want to go Eibach/FE3 setup. Anyone running this setup? Any rubbing to worry about? Thanks in advance.
Tate

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
637 Posts
It's been done but not recommended and it doesn't look good IMO. You shouldn't have any issues with rubbing though since the 19s are pushed so far in already.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I'm running 275/35/19's stock tires but want to go Eibach/FE3 setup. Anyone running this setup? Any rubbing to worry about? Thanks in advance.
Tate

That's what I'm running and no issues at all.

·
Grand Prix Guy
272 Posts
Doug,
Thanks! I thought that you were and was about to send you a PM asking. After seeing your car two weeks ago at the track I've decided that the Eibachs and FE3's are the way I want to go. On a side note know of anyone that is going to the East Coast Shootout in Darlington come Apr 20th?
Tate

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
2 cents....my 285's don't see full contact with the ground with 9.5" wide wheels....

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Doug,
Thanks! I thought that you were and was about to send you a PM asking. After seeing your car two weeks ago at the track I've decided that the Eibachs and FE3's are the way I want to go. On a side note know of anyone that is going to the East Coast Shootout in Darlington come Apr 20th?
Tate
Yes, several from NC and elsewhere will be there. I know Troy is going, Rick, among others.

·
Grand Prix Guy
272 Posts
Think I'm gonna go ahead and register this weekend. Probably bring the guy with the GTO with me that came to the track a few weeks ago.
Tate

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
2 cents....my 285's don't see full contact with the ground with 9.5" wide wheels....
My 275s make perfect full contact on my 9" rims. If your tires are not making full contact, it's most likely that your alignment and tire pressure are off.

I've seen 275 on 8" rims making full contact with the right setup. Not saying it's a good way to go, but I've seen it done at autocross.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Can anyone post some more pics of their 275/35? There a set local used for $180, I want to try but am concerned about cornering and the tire rolling on the side. They also have a full set(4) of 255/40 I may just put on, but the 275s interest me.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Think I'm gonna go ahead and register this weekend. Probably bring the guy with the GTO with me that came to the track a few weeks ago.
Tate
Excellent! It will be good to hang out again and lots of fun will be had!

Can anyone post some more pics of their 275/35? There a set local used for $180, I want to try but am concerned about cornering and the tire rolling on the side. They also have a full set(4) of 255/40 I may just put on, but the 275s interest me.
Here's a shot of mine I just took; it's a little hard to see how much the bulge is but it's there. I wouldn't want this as the optimum setup for corner carving but they hook so much better than the 245's for me.

Attachments

·
Grand Prix Guy
272 Posts
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1365161550.502327.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1365161564.383229.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1365161578.483256.jpg
Here's some shots of mine. The top is a pic of the stock size vs the 275/35/19's.
Tate

·
Registered
895 Posts
I had the Nittos NT 05s on my Formula too, they hooked really good, and I know Nittos usually run a little narrower too. Looks good Comp G. Hmmm, I like to road race too, but that's far and few, decisions.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
My 275s make perfect full contact on my 9" rims. If your tires are not making full contact, it's most likely that your alignment and tire pressure are off.

I've seen 275 on 8" rims making full contact with the right setup. Not saying it's a good way to go, but I've seen it done at autocross.
Nope, alignment and pressures are perfect as usual. Tire width is 11.4 inches, rear wheel width is 9.5". You can see in my pic below the outside edges of my tires don't make full contact / they wear less than the center's, as measured with depth gauge. 275's would be better, and is most likely the size I'll be going with in a few weeks.

Easy test is to drive through dirt, then put it on a lift. You can clearly see where the tire is making contact, and where it's not.

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
Nope, alignment and pressures are perfect as usual. Tire width is 11.4 inches, rear wheel width is 9.5". You can see in my pic below the outside edges of my tires don't make full contact / they wear less than the center's, as measured with depth gauge. 275's would be better, and is most likely the size I'll be going with in a few weeks.

Easy test is to drive through dirt, then put it on a lift. You can clearly see where the tire is making contact, and where it's not.

Your front camber looks aggressive and I can't tell if your rear is touching or not. In your case, it looks like it's setup for turns (meaning your aggressive camber is a good thing). If you were to do a 20 minute track session, I bet that outside edge would have a lot of wear. I didn't realize you meant it wasn't contacting like you show here. You entire tire appears to not be sitting flat, but that could be because of you turning right, IDK.

For example, a buddy of mine has 275 on his 9" rim and the tire isn't wearing on the flat part of the tire near the edge. Not the outside edge of the tire. I showed him the wear marks and decreasing pressure allowed it to run correctly. The edge of his tire runs really far up the tire. He has roughly -1 degree camber on his car. Usually, increasing pressure wears the center, decreasing wears the outside. However, that will not matter if you're running super amounts of camber, it'll always wear on the inside (towards the car) of the tire.

That all setup, like someone else posted, all tires are different. If your tires are wearing like crap and your alignment and pressure are perfect, then I'd buy a different brand of tires.

9.5" rim with a 285 is a perfect match. I'd love to have that setup for road course.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
I'm not saying that I don't like running the 285's out back, or not to run them on 9.5" wheels...I just don't think I'm using all the available tread on the tire is all. And that may not be a bad thing, just pointing it out.

And you guessed it, I do like to corner :) If you rode with me, you'd think you were in an auto cross event all the time, and yes, my camber is slightly above stock settings...rear camber is ~.6 degrees, front is ~1.2 degrees.

Trade you my wheels for your power ;) ROFL

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
Lol awesome. I'm currently at -1 rear and front but I haven't track it yet. On the street, it feels much butter than the stock camber (whatever that is). How do you like the mixed camber setup with .6 front and 1.2 rear?

As for the trade, lol, I don't think I could handle the withdrawals I'd get. I really need to save up for a 9.5 set of 18" rims. I just have so many darn little things to finish first.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts