Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I JUST had my front LCA's replaced @ 105,000 miles for FREE by my nice dealer...the good part is they're new, free, and will last me the balance of my ownership, bad part is I still have some clunk.

After researching on this site & having the car up on a friend's lift determined the culprit is most likely end links, so I found a pair on Amazon by MOOG for around $55 shipped!

My brake setup has nearly 57,000 miles on it now, and while I don't have any shimmy yet I do notice the front rotors are getting worn down pretty good & are starting to get "veins" or grooves in them. The rears seem to have held up better, front/rear pads probably a little under 50% (see pics for rotor wear).

So considering the mileage & pics do you think I should replace rear rotors also? Right now I have ordered new DBA T3 4000 slotted for front, hawk ceramics front, durastop ceramic rear. Leaving the powerslot rotors that are on there for now (pics rear 1 and rear2) - to me they look like they have a decent amount of life in them compared to the fronts, what do you all think?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
If everything's already ordered I would leave the rears on. They look pretty good and with the new pads, you should be good to go. As far as the end links go, that price seems too good to pass up.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If everything's already ordered I would leave the rears on. They look pretty good and with the new pads, you should be good to go. As far as the end links go, that price seems too good to pass up.

Yeah I snatched up those end links quick. I think that's what I'm going to do, just swap pads on the rears, do you agree the fronts look pretty worn? I'm actually surprised they haven't developed shimmy yet w/ the way they look. The pics you can see it, but if you ran your finger over it you can really feel all the grooves like a damn vinyl record lol

In mid-may I'll be taking a roadtrip to OBX - NC, probably 1400 miles there and back (besides what I may drive while there) and I KNOW I'll be hitting some triple digit speeds on those long highways and may need to do some hard braking courtesy of my radar detector and right foot....last thing I want is to develop a bad shimmy for the ride back so my plan was to swap out before I leave.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
It's hard to tell on my phone, but at 57k miles, you're doing the right thing. The difference will be night and day. I replaced my entire setup at around 80k kilometers and couldn't be happier. My stockers were still in pretty good shape, but nothing compared to my new setup. Especially if you have some hard braking coming up, nothing inspires confidence like good brakes. Post some pics when you install.

·
Premium Member
8,067 Posts
I used to wonder if swaybar links and endlinks were the same thing. Learned something today as they are indeed.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't got everything installed yet...still waiting on my rear brake pads and going to drive at least another 5-600 miles to get the most out of the oil in my engine (I like to change it between 5-7,000 miles)

I'll get it all on + an oil change before I head to OBX in early May.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the new hardware installed. The T3 slotted DBA rotors are great as expected, the rear rotors (powerslot) are still in good shape as I suspected. Car drives better than new!

The moog end links I purchased on Amazon for $45 shipped completely eliminated the front end clunk I was experiencing and it feels like the steering is also tighter as a result.

Now w/ the brake job, brand new LCA's (that it turns out I didn't need but oh well) and end links this car is tighter than the day I bought it!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sounds great and glad the steering is nice and tight. Please keep us posted on possible rusting of the T3 rotor hats. TIA

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.