Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I need some help please.
I'm having trouble finding a 3:45 diff from a 2010-2015 Camaro SS.
(well I found some but they have high mileage)
There are all kinds of 3:27's
So I came up with this idea.... buy a 3:27 and switch the Ring & Pinion Gears to a 3:45 ???...!!!! ..... is this possible ???
Is the 3:27 diff housing the exact same size & fit as the 3:45 ?
thank you.....

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT
361 Posts
Housings are the same.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Yanni, what posi kit are you going to be using? Are you doing a full bearing rebuild too?

·
Registered
151 Posts
You may try to give Ace Performance a call. They have more things in stock that aren't on their website.

·
Premium Member
6,914 Posts
Wondering, any particular reason(s) for wanting a 3.45 differential versus the 3.27?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Reactions: YanniG8

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G8 aka Karma
383 Posts
I would try to find a 3.45 diff. There are plenty out there and would be a helluva lot cheaper than changing out the guts of a 3.27. Your going to spend double the money going that route plus you better know what you're doing swapping out those gears. There's more to it than just taking out the old gears and putting in the new ones. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yanni, what posi kit are you going to be using? Are you doing a full bearing rebuild too?
I'm not too familiar with diffs ..... what ever it takes to make a 3:27 to a 3:45 .....

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would try to find a 3.45 diff. There are plenty out there and would be a helluva lot cheaper than changing out the guts of a 3.27. Your going to spend double the money going that route plus you better know what you're doing swapping out those gears. There's more to it than just taking out the old gears and putting in the new ones. Good luck to you!
So it is a lot more expensive ..... thanks for that info .... so I'll just keep digging .... If I would of done a swap, I would of gone to a trany shop for that ..... Oh by the way ... I posted WTB diff on the Camaro5 forum, I got 2 hits, and both were scammers pretending they have one for sale .... Got to be very careful out there ....

Reactions: Ramblerman

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wondering, any particular reason(s) for wanting a 3.45 differential versus the 3.27?
After a lot of reading .... with my set up ... its better with the 3:45 .... plus more punch for your money .... And all the other fun stuff ...LOL ...

Reactions: outbreak040

·
Premium Member
6,914 Posts
Very well. Automatic or manual 3.45? Presuming automatic. Shipped to Canada, correct? Asking just in case I come across one relatively soon.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very well. Automatic or manual 3.45? Presuming automatic. Shipped to Canada, correct? Asking just in case I come across one relatively soon.
It has to come from a 2010-2015 Camaro SS manual (the sticker on diff should say 3:45 LSD).... and yes shipped to Canada. If the boarders were open I would ship it to Plattsburgh NY and pick it up, its a 60 minute drive for me .... and thank you for keeping an eye out ... I hope we can see each other again at a Lakeview meet.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
There is 5 of them on eBay right now. Just depends on how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have a 3.45 in my car. My dad has a 3.27. Only area his underperforms is at the dragstrip. It forces a 3 to 4 gearshift right before the traps. Whereas mine shifts early enough to keep pulling through the torque band. On the street, his pulls just as hard. If you want the fastest 1/4 mile time, go with the 3.45. If its mostly a streetcar, the 3.27 will give plenty of added performance and you will likely not miss the 3.45. Just my $0.02.

Reactions: Ramblerman

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a 3.45 in my car. My dad has a 3.27. Only area his underperforms is at the dragstrip. It forces a 3 to 4 gearshift right before the traps. Whereas mine shifts early enough to keep pulling through the torque band. On the street, his pulls just as hard. If you want the fastest 1/4 mile time, go with the 3.45. If its mostly a streetcar, the 3.27 will give plenty of added performance and you will likely not miss the 3.45. Just my $0.02.
The 3.45 is good if you're driving back roads like we have in SWPA, W VA, and SEOH. Lots of curves and hills with short straight stretches. Speeds don't often reach 75-80 mph, but the lower gear allows you to get the speed up faster when you do get the straightaway. The car will pull the hills better, too. Not everyone runs their car an 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile at a time. For the record, I've got a 3.27 in my GXP and it's my highway cruiser. I like it just fine and wouldn't bother changing it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello everyone ..... well I would like to announce .... I just pulled the trigger and bought 3.45 diff ..... from a 2014 Camaro SS with 36k miles on it ..... from Ebay ....
I think I got lucky and found low miles. I'v been looking for about 6 months. All I found was 85k + , and 2 guys tried to scam me ....
Now I'm gonna do some research and see what I need to buy for the install. For all you more experienced guys than me, feel free to give me some pointers, or parts I need to buy. I am going to buy the BMR Pro-series diff bushings for starters, anything else will be greatly appreciated
Also, I would like to say a BIG thank you to all that contributed to this post. It helped me make the right decision.
THANK YOU .....
👍✌🤟🤘🖖💪

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Since the diff is out of the cradle, I recommend the "posi Mod". While the diff be low miles, it could be a 1/4 mile at a time. Clutch based diffs will wear loosing the locking ability. Replacing the friction disks, adding additional disk as well as new spring will ensure its functionality. There are kits from JRE and Camaro central - the parts are readily available for 1/2 the kit price.

Clutch Kit - GM - 92230606 (You will need two of these)
Spring - Ford - EOAZ-4214-A (Yup a FORD part)

More details can be found here: DIY Posi Mod for the Camaro Differential (g8nation.com)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Since the diff is out of the cradle, I recommend the "posi Mod". While the diff be low miles, it could be a 1/4 mile at a time. Clutch based diffs will wear loosing the locking ability. Replacing the friction disks, adding additional disk as well as new spring will ensure its functionality. There are kits from JRE and Camaro central - the parts are readily available for 1/2 the kit price.

Clutch Kit - GM - 92230606 (You will need two of these)
Spring - Ford - EOAZ-4214-A (Yup a FORD part)

More details can be found here: DIY Posi Mod for the Camaro Differential (g8nation.com)
OHHHHHHHHH .....
So its not a straight forward ..... pop out the 2.92 & pop in the 3.45 (besides the bushings)

If I bought a 3.27 instead .... would I have to do this mod as well ?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts