Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
You don't have to do the upgrade, With it's unknown history I recommend the upgrade. While the parts are added a ring gear/pinion/bearings inspection can be preformed to ensure the unit is reliable after install. It's all personal preference as I'm sure many have dropped the diffs in without even checking the oil. The posi mod applies to all the american axle posi diffs in C5 Camaros regardless of ratio.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
You don't have to do the upgrade, With it's unknown history I recommend the upgrade. While the parts are added a ring gear/pinion/bearings inspection can be preformed to ensure the unit is reliable after install. It's all personal preference as I'm sure many have dropped the diffs in without even checking the oil. The posi mod apples to all the american axle posi diffs in C5 Camaros regardless of ratio.
That is a good recommendation JCMG8, the diff can be checked b4 install.
So I started to do some reading on the posi mod .... basically if I don't do it, when I do a burnout, for fun on the street, or to warm up the tires on the track .... only 1 tire will turn ???

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
It's possible, but not a given.. All depends on the history of the used unit you have procured.

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT
361 Posts
When I did my 3.45 I just did a straight swap, changed gear oil and yes 2 wheel burnout, no problem.

Reactions: rockinlespaul

·
Premium Member
6,898 Posts
^^^ Username Hot Rod isn't merely a happenstance.

Reactions: Hot Rod

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G8 aka Karma
382 Posts
It's a low mile diff. I wouldn't mess with it. Seals and bushings if you want(probably don't need seals either)and definitely a fluid change with the proper fluid/additive. Straight, easy swap. Don't forget to see your tuner so he can make the proper adjustments so your speedometer is reading correctly and it shifts right.

Reactions: YanniG8 and Hot Rod

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Low miles. Friend has a 3yr old hellcat. <10k mile. Sunny day weekend only car. Pristine interior. Old man owned >300 passes down the 1/4. What part will be left out when he sells it?.
Caveat Emptor

21 - 27 of 27 Posts