Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering a 3.27 gear swap, looking for advice and suggestions. From searching, looks like I need a 2010-2015 Camaro SS Automatic. Also I am going to need a tune. Thinking either to go to a local tuner and just have them edit that one part (cheap), or maybe a Livernois mail order 91 tune (expensive). No other mods except exhaust, none planned either. 89k miles and engine sounds healthy, but if I ever have a DoD failure I'll either just replace them with the newer lifters or go nuclear and swap in a crate LS3.
Is there anything I have to replace to get the Camaro diff to work? I don't want to upgrade any bushings while in there because I'm an NVH engineer and I hate NVH! Leave me with my sloppy rubber and my wheel hop, this is just a DD. I know I have to remove the rear knuckles to get the axles out- can do it without loosening any of the eccentric alignment bolts and get out without needing an alignment?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I switched to the 3.27 years ago, if I had to do it over I would have gone with the 3.45 because I ended up going heads/cam etc but I do like the upgrade overall. You are correct 10-15 Camaro auto. Pat G is also a good option for a mail order tune, call a few and pick whomever you are most comfortable with.

I didn't replace any of the bushings and did not get an alignment. It was pretty straight forward from what I remember, I think it only took a few hours in the garage.

Good luck with the swap.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Its not a big deal to do. Remove the yoke and let hang with the shaft attached, First mark all the positions of the mount bolt washers with a sharpie for alignment purposes, pull the e-brake cables and sensor wires. The axles will require a good tug to dislodge the snap ring inside the diff. When I did mine it did not effect the alignment but it depends on how careful you are with your markings.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Two sources for the posi kits. Jannetty Racing or Camaro Central both sell posi kits with the Ford spring to pre-load the clutches. I like the Camaro central ones.
As for the diff bushings. before you install the diff. Fill the bushings voids with 3M windshield urethane. limits the movement without harshness.

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts
I switched to the 3.27 years ago, if I had to do it over I would have gone with the 3.45 because I ended up going heads/cam etc but I do like the upgrade overall.
Ditto, If you are daily driving the car the 3.27 wakes it up on the street, but if you are looking for improved 1/4 mile times I actually ran slower after the swap as the 2.92's were making it through the 1/4 in the top of 3rd gear and the shift to 4th with the 3.27 actually lost me about a tenth of a second. DA and 60 foots were almost identical for the comparison runs. If looking for 1/4 mile improvement go to the 3.45.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ditto, If you are daily driving the car the 3.27 wakes it up on the street, but if you are looking for improved 1/4 mile times I actually ran slower after the swap as the 2.92's were making it through the 1/4 in the top of 3rd gear and the shift to 4th with the 3.27 actually lost me about a tenth of a second. DA and 60 foots were almost identical for the comparison runs. If looking for 1/4 mile improvement go to the 3.45.
Yeah it would only be to make the car a little peppier. I've never been on a drag strip in my life! Only the occasional red light race ;)

·
every village has one
2,142 Posts
Its not a big deal to do. Remove the yoke and let hang with the shaft attached, First mark all the positions of the mount bolt washers with a sharpie for alignment purposes, pull the e-brake cables and sensor wires. The axles will require a good tug to dislodge the snap ring inside the diff. When I did mine it did not effect the alignment but it depends on how careful you are with your markings.
So easy a 70 yr old with jack stands can do it:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts