Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering a 3.27 gear swap, looking for advice and suggestions. From searching, looks like I need a 2010-2015 Camaro SS Automatic. Also I am going to need a tune. Thinking either to go to a local tuner and just have them edit that one part (cheap), or maybe a Livernois mail order 91 tune (expensive). No other mods except exhaust, none planned either. 89k miles and engine sounds healthy, but if I ever have a DoD failure I'll either just replace them with the newer lifters or go nuclear and swap in a crate LS3.
Is there anything I have to replace to get the Camaro diff to work? I don't want to upgrade any bushings while in there because I'm an NVH engineer and I hate NVH! Leave me with my sloppy rubber and my wheel hop, this is just a DD. I know I have to remove the rear knuckles to get the axles out- can do it without loosening any of the eccentric alignment bolts and get out without needing an alignment?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I switched to the 3.27 years ago, if I had to do it over I would have gone with the 3.45 because I ended up going heads/cam etc but I do like the upgrade overall. You are correct 10-15 Camaro auto. Pat G is also a good option for a mail order tune, call a few and pick whomever you are most comfortable with.

I didn't replace any of the bushings and did not get an alignment. It was pretty straight forward from what I remember, I think it only took a few hours in the garage.

Good luck with the swap.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Its not a big deal to do. Remove the yoke and let hang with the shaft attached, First mark all the positions of the mount bolt washers with a sharpie for alignment purposes, pull the e-brake cables and sensor wires. The axles will require a good tug to dislodge the snap ring inside the diff. When I did mine it did not effect the alignment but it depends on how careful you are with your markings.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Two sources for the posi kits. Jannetty Racing or Camaro Central both sell posi kits with the Ford spring to pre-load the clutches. I like the Camaro central ones.
As for the diff bushings. before you install the diff. Fill the bushings voids with 3M windshield urethane. limits the movement without harshness.

·
Premium Member
1,360 Posts
I switched to the 3.27 years ago, if I had to do it over I would have gone with the 3.45 because I ended up going heads/cam etc but I do like the upgrade overall.
Ditto, If you are daily driving the car the 3.27 wakes it up on the street, but if you are looking for improved 1/4 mile times I actually ran slower after the swap as the 2.92's were making it through the 1/4 in the top of 3rd gear and the shift to 4th with the 3.27 actually lost me about a tenth of a second. DA and 60 foots were almost identical for the comparison runs. If looking for 1/4 mile improvement go to the 3.45.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ditto, If you are daily driving the car the 3.27 wakes it up on the street, but if you are looking for improved 1/4 mile times I actually ran slower after the swap as the 2.92's were making it through the 1/4 in the top of 3rd gear and the shift to 4th with the 3.27 actually lost me about a tenth of a second. DA and 60 foots were almost identical for the comparison runs. If looking for 1/4 mile improvement go to the 3.45.
Yeah it would only be to make the car a little peppier. I've never been on a drag strip in my life! Only the occasional red light race ;)

·
every village has one
2,273 Posts
Its not a big deal to do. Remove the yoke and let hang with the shaft attached, First mark all the positions of the mount bolt washers with a sharpie for alignment purposes, pull the e-brake cables and sensor wires. The axles will require a good tug to dislodge the snap ring inside the diff. When I did mine it did not effect the alignment but it depends on how careful you are with your markings.
So easy a 70 yr old with jack stands can do it:)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Considering a 3.27 gear swap, looking for advice and suggestions.......
I have a complete 6K mile pumpkin out of my 2014 Chevy SS.

PM me if interested.

KW

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys what is the correct part number for a camaro 3.27 gear that fits a g8 ? Not sure if their was a difference between a 2010-2015 camaro SS or RS rear diff

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
If you had the L99 automatic in your Camaro. Only the 3.27 diff was available, regardless of the trim package.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the reply
Just curious will the Chevy SS rear diff bolt up like the camaro 3.27 diff, I’m asking because I currently have a g8 gxp 3.27 diff, but I need another one due to it starting to whine badly
If you had the L99 automatic in your Camaro. Only the 3.27 diff was available, regardless of the trim package.
Curious what is the difference between the 3.27 gear from the camaro, g8gxp and Chevy SS ? How much power can they hold, had a used g8gxp rear diff low mileage, lasted 9yrs on motor only 2 weeks with boost before starting to whine badly.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Boost always finds what part is weak and worn and spits them out. The SS rear is no stronger than a stock rear, just has a better gear. You want the stronger Camaro gear when under boost. There are plenty of upgrades available. You might want to add the spring and fresh clutches before you install it. If you are going to race a lot you might want to add the stronger billet diff main caps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok thanks for the info. I bought a camaro SS diff with 21k miles on it I’ll look it those items you mentioned as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts