Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states I am looking for the location of the EVAP purge solenoid on my fiancée's '09.

Her car has really crappy gas mileage the entire time we have owned the vehicle. In addition to recently when putting gas in the vehicle the car refuses to turn over unless we give it a little throttle. I have also noticed while driving at 40mph, the RPMs are surging but goes away when at 60mph.

Since she is unemployed I wanted to get the car in top shape when she lands a new job. I have read that the solenoid is on the passenger side, and looking under the hood I noticed a canister on the driver's side. I am not sure where to look at, in addition I wanted to know if AC Delco #214-1685 / GM #12611801 is the correct part number(s).

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
They show the purge valve mounted in a horizontal position just about mid ship above the drivers side valve cover. The P/N shown for your engine is 12597567, for about $26 at various discount GM sources. The 2 P/N's you show are good ones and are also for a purge valve. But its of a little different design for use on other V6 engines (I think).

Added info---- Or maybe even better, the AC Delco OEM unit from Amazon for about $18 (an it even includes a new factory mounting bracket if needed)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I was able to get the electrical connector and the front evap hose off.

The rear hose I have no clue how to take it off. It has two square openings and two ridges. The ridges do not do anything so I would assume I would have to press into the openings to get it to come off?

All the videos I see online of any GM vehicle getting the purge valve serviced has an easy little clip you just pull to the side and it comes off. This vehicle is not like that.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Well, I'm certainly no help at all, I had my purge valve changed at the dealer 2 years ago.
I got a CEL when mine went.
All in it was a $120 fix.
I figured if I tried to fix it the bill would be more when I ruined that clip too....
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
12611801 is the correct part number for the vapor canister purge valve/solenoid mounted on the driver's side upper portion of the intake manifold. Tried unsuccessfully to remove the rear quick connector and if the valve had to be replaced would most probably remove the connector entirely from the emission line. Visit a parts store help section and procure a suitable substitution i.e. "tee" and perhaps a foot of emission hose since the line isn't under much pressure. Don't believe in purchasing a lot of specialized tools for one time repairs unless they're relatively cheap and/or absolutely necessary. Attaching pictures of both the connector and purge valve. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
12611801 is the correct part number for the vapor canister purge valve/solenoid mounted on the driver's side upper portion of the intake manifold. Tried unsuccessfully to remove the rear quick connector and if the valve had to be replaced would most probably remove the connector entirely from the emission line. Visit a parts store help section and procure a suitable substitution i.e. "tee" and perhaps a foot of emission hose since the line isn't under much pressure. Don't believe in purchasing a lot of specialized tools for one time repairs unless they're relatively cheap and/or absolutely necessary. Attaching pictures of both the connector and purge valve. Good luck.
I would assume I can take the factory hose off with a fuel line disconnect kit?

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
Certainly seems that way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts