Pontiac G8 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought a device called a "ScanGauge" and so far it's paying for itself. On two trips today from the edge of the city into downtown I averaged 8.3 L/100 KM - which is equal to 34mpg.

It was pretty shocking as the highest reported MPG on fuelly was 28mpg.

I'm not an expert but some basic things I'm doing are:
-taking it very easy going up hills
-coasting to red lights, especially on highways that are interrupted by lights
-shutting off the engine for extended red lights
-keeping tires pumped up
-regular k&n air filter
-Pulse & Glide: accelerate to 95 km/h, completely get off the gas and coast to 75km/h, accelerate to 95 km/h at just over 1500RPM, then coast back down to 75km/h..rinse, wash, repeat. If someone's on my bumper then I'll point to them to pass me or I'll turn my hazards on for a few seconds.

It's pretty easy, you just need a scangauge and to coast as much as possible. I have 2 tires that need to have slow leaks repaired so I wouldn't be surprised if someone out there could beat 34mpg

· Registered
227 Posts
I'm sorry bud but maybe a Prius might be a better car for you... Seriously speed up then coast back down then point at people to go around you? Are you kidding me?

· Registered
1,434 Posts
+1 on what he said. Drive the damn car..

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sorry bud but maybe a Prius might be a better car for you... Seriously speed up then coast back down then point at people to go around you? Are you kidding me?
Shove it. Maybe this continent isn't where you belong, I'll do what I damn well please.

You clicked on a thread about fuel efficiency and think you can come here and troll. Not the sharpest tool in the toolbox.

· Registered
305 Posts
Not really sure these cars were meant for economy.. But to each his own.. I prefer to drive it hard.. Just do the car a favor and blow it out once in awhile.. keep the cats from clogging up..

· Registered
421 Posts
I got 66 mpg this weekend at the track..Oh wait that was 6.6 :p sometimes you just gotta have fun with a V8

· Registered
78 Posts
I always try to beat my previous best mpg rating...but i only do it on cruise control. I dont really do much else except put it on cruise and let cruise do the work. And even with me doing that, I still am not afraid to get out of cruise to get on it to get around someone rather then stay behind them and slow down to their speed.

· Registered
6,803 Posts
How does the scan gauge work ? I recently heard of a product over the radio your supposed to install in your car to give you better mpg's here in the states. Cant recall the name though. I hear it now and again. Will have to look it up now and see if its the scan gauge .

· Registered
6,803 Posts
Scam Alert
More Miles Per Gallon, Please
Gizmos that may take you for a ride
In these days of high gasoline prices and long vacation road trips, get ready for high-gear hawking of gadgets that promise more miles per gallon.

See also: Cut car and gas costs.

Some of these gizmos improve mileage by 20 percent or more, promoters claim, by harnessing special science. "Approved by the Federal Government," you're told. Breathless customer testimonials for the devices, available online and at select bricks-and-mortar retailers, further bolster the allure.

Gas-saving gizmos that promise more miles per gallon may be a waste of money. — Harry Campbell

The products typically cost $50 to $250. But buy them and you'll just be taken for a ride, experts say.

"I've been testing these devices for a very long time, and to date haven't found a single one that lives up to its claims," says Mike Allen, senior automotive editor at Popular Mechanics magazine. "In the last round, I tested eight different types. Five did nothing, two actually increased fuel consumption and one set a car on fire."

After its own tests on various gadgets, Consumer Reports issued a "don't waste your money" warning, echoed by the Federal Trade Commission and the Better Business Bureau. The Environmental Protection Agency has tested (but never endorsed) more than 100 such devices and found that none significantly improve mileage and some may damage your engine.

If you closely follow the owner's manuals that come with some of the devices, you may get a marginal boost in mpg. But this may not be because of the device itself. "The advice is usually to install the device and properly maintain your car, avoid jackrabbit starts and do other common-sense tips found at www.fueleconomy.gov," says an EPA spokesperson. "Guess what? Do those things without the gadget and you'll save fuel."
Found this on the web and assume the writer is referring to the products I am hearing on the radio and not your product o.p..

· Premium Member
10,730 Posts
Well, that is pretty good and I not even in the closet town when it comes to fuel mileage. Question, do you suppose removing the spare tire will noticeably increase fuel mileage??? Been thinking about removing mines for awhile, but with my luck, that will be the day I need it. LOL Thinking about purchasing an ultragauge which to similar to the scangauge.

· Registered
835 Posts
For those who may be confused on what the scangauge is... It's just a device to log certain data, by all means it doesn't actually increase fuel economy. But by observing your numbers and constantly watching the data it could in turn help u keep ur foot out the gas therefore increasing mileage.

OP, I doubt your actually getting 34 mpg. More than likely your scangauge is picking up 34 for a split second. The only 100% most accurate is to track miles per tank and divide by gallons per tank. Do this I promise it won't come out to 34.

Not hating but just trying to speak with reality.

· Registered
676 Posts
Sell the g8 and get a hybrid lol why even have it if this ishow you drive? I understand trying to improve mpg but you still need to enjoy the car or there is no point in having a v8. My best is 28.8 but average 17.5 because i enjoy my car!

· Proud owner
1,469 Posts
The only 100% most accurate is to track miles per tank and divide by gallons per tank. Do this I promise it won't come out to 34.
Bingo! That's how you do it. Anything less than a tank is cheating.

· Registered
2,271 Posts
have 2 tires that need to have slow leaks repaired so I wouldn't be surprised if someone out there could beat 34mpg
FYI
8.3 = 28.34 (US Gallon) and 34 Imperial Gallon (UK)
L/100 km = MPG (US Gallon)
4.0 = 58.805
4.5 = 52.271
5.0 = 47.044
5.5 = 42.767
6.0 = 39.203
6.5 = 36.188
7.0 = 33.603
7.5 = 31.363
8.0 = 29.403
8.5 = 27.673
9.0 = 26.136
9.5 = 24.760
10.0 = 23.522
10.5 = 22.402
11.0 = 21.384
11.5 = 20.454
12.0 = 19.602
12.5 = 18.818
13.0 = 18.094
13.5 = 17.424
14.0 = 16.801
14.5 = 16.222
15.0 = 15.681
15.5 = 15.176

· HeapBlaster
479 Posts
i got 14.4mpg driving in the mountains the other day... i thought that was pretty decent considering how many turns i came off of with the wheel pointed the other way.

· Premium Member
5,509 Posts
OP I have seen a few guys post 30 or even 31. My personal best was a 1 hour cruise at 55 mph and I got 28.5 but those numbers are gone for good now with the extra HP and heavier wheels. 34 seems to be a bit of a reach.

· Offshore Prositute
1,149 Posts
-Pulse & Glide: accelerate to 95 km/h, completely get off the gas and coast to 75km/h, accelerate to 95 km/h at just over 1500RPM, then coast back down to 75km/h..rinse, wash, repeat. If someone's on my bumper then I'll point to them to pass me or I'll turn my hazards on for a few seconds.
That is actually very dangerous to do, for the simple fact that somebody behind you is not paying attention and bumps into you. It will be his fault of course for not maintaining control of the car, but you had a lot to do with it. When I was stock, I got 28 to 29 mpg from doing certain things.

74 mph gave me the best average MPG (28.6)
40 psi all around gave me higher mpg.
Stay under 2000 RPM
clean the car inside and out on a weekly basis for weight savings.
Due to working in the field, I was able to go to the office anytime I wanted. I always left my house an hour after rush hour traffic ended, or leave early in the morning.

· Registered
1,046 Posts
I have a scangauge II and use it to monitor oil temp, coolant temp, instant mpg and rpm. I've used it since the G8 was new and love it...hell it fits in the empty hole left in the '09's from the atari gauges!
I drive 3 hrs a day currently and my full tank avg. is around 22.5 mpg since my Pat G. tune. Lifetime for my G8 is 20.9 mpg that's EVERY tank of gas recorded since purchase. No the G8 isn't designed to be a fuel efficient car but at times people need a little more mpg based on their situation. (plan on moving or getting a smaller extra car after I cam it)
I have a question, anyone know the code for the tranny temp so I can put it into my Scangauge?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.