Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
452rwhp LY7
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I'm from Australia and the info I'll share is obviously from Australia, before you all get too excited! I stumbled across this forum randomly (I'm from Oz, why would I read through US forums???) but this time I decided to trawl through it and found that a lot of the questions that have been asked very recently on here we had the answers for a while ago... I guess in Oz we are really leading the way with these things, so maybe what I share here will give you some ideas/encouragement to pursue a build of your own and not give up on these things!

The car in question is a Holden VZ Commodore 2006 (possesses an LY7 that we commonly refer to as an Alloytec)... yes, slightly different to the later model LY7's you have, but everything on my car has been trialled on the newer and current VE Commodore also! Just not to the same extent as mine yet... The VE Commodore is more closely aligned with your latest models, so yes, what you see with my car can be done to yours at some stage... Here's a video (apologies for poor quality) of its latest dyno run, where we achieved 452 rear wheel horsepower... From memory when she was stock it possessed around 180rwhp, so a massive power gain... As far as I know this is the most powerful LY7 around and we've got even bigger plans for her in the near future...

The car has a Pro Flow Fabrications Turbo Kit and upgraded fuel system to suit E85... We have also strengthened the stock transmission somewhat to sustain the higher power which has a 4000rpm converter... Remember, this is a 100% STOCK LY7 engine, no upgrades to the engine itself whatsoever, in other words, these engines are TOUGH...

If you're interested, yes, engine internals available on Oz including cams, pistons, conrods, custom intake manifolds that could get thrown in your engines not a worry...

If this thread generates any interest I'll provide more info on what we've done with the rest of the car, Pro Flow Fab and Dyno and Performance Manifolds (both Australian based) may be worth searching for which will also provide you some info and contacts.......

Hope this at least gives you some ideas, encouragement and sends you in the right direction...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the v8 but would still be interested in seeing more on this.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Cost?$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
I yam what I yam
619 Posts
I know a lot of good things have been done with this engine down under. Our biggest hold back here in the states has always been the ECU and programing. But now, thanks to MACE and one of our own, it seems that that barrier has fallen by the wayside.

So things are looking up. Any info you can provide the group on the setup I'm sure will be welcome with open arms. Turbo, intake, boost, etc.

Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
864 Posts
very interested...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sub'd. Interested as well

·
Fuel Low
506 Posts
Well, I'm impressed. I'd love to see some of the V6 guys here hitting those numbers.

·
Capital City G8
1,555 Posts
Wow. Thats impressive. That would be a nice addition.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Thank you for posting this up,good to hear you say the word TOUGH about this motor.From what I hear the timing chains stretch on these motors,is this true?If so is there a better chains out there? I have a UDP that im very hesitant to install,any thoughts on the pulley? Thanks,

Dan

·
452rwhp LY7
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cost?$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
For something similiar to what I have, drive-in/out, you'll need around $15K... I'll describe my build below a bit further in response to Chief. Keep in mind this includes upgrading the entire driveline also, so it's not simply just upgrading the engine and power output...

I know a lot of good things have been done with this engine down under. Our biggest hold back here in the states has always been the ECU and programing. But now, thanks to MACE and one of our own, it seems that that barrier has fallen by the wayside.

So things are looking up. Any info you can provide the group on the setup I'm sure will be welcome with open arms. Turbo, intake, boost, etc.

Thanks for posting.
What you've described is similiar to the obtacles we faced originally too. Once someone cracks that programming, particularly if they can use the stock ECU, it opens up a lot of doors... I've opted for an aftermarket ECU in mine to make things easier and future plans for the car will require it anyway....

As for my build, I'll give you a quick general rundown on what's in her at the moment...

Engine - stock internals, Pro Flow Fab turbo kit (Garrett GT3582R, external wastegate, intercooler, custom exhaust manifolds, K&N air filter)
ECU - ViPec 388
Transmission - Rebuilt stock auto, Stage 3 shift kit, 5500rpm converter
Differential - LSD with 3.9 diff gears
Fuel system - 3000hp FPR, 2000cc injectors, twin 044 fuel pumps all tuned to suit E85 (be aware this is overkill for the power we're achieving at the moment but is all in due to future plans for the car)

This saw us make 337rwkw with 12 psi boost. I don't have the dynograph on me but this was made at approx 6200rpm producing 1150nm torque or so.

Thank you for posting this up,good to hear you say the word TOUGH about this motor.From what I hear the timing chains stretch on these motors,is this true?If so is there a better chains out there? I have a UDP that im very hesitant to install,any thoughts on the pulley? Thanks,

Dan
I say these things are tough because of what power/boost we've managed to put her through so far without the need to upgrade any of the engines internals. To be honest its lasted longer than I thought it would considering how hard we've been pushing her and for so long now too...

As for the timing chains, all I can say is I personally haven't had any issues and therefore haven't looked into finding/making a better one. I have heard of incidents where timing chains have become loose due to what appears to be excessive wear... I'd say just make sure you keep your engine serviced and I would imagine you'll notice a significant change or increase in noise from the front of the engine before it actually goes altogether and had the potential to do real damage.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Can you elaborate a little more on what you did to your transmission, and where did you get that converter? Not sure if there is anything out there for our 5 speed trans.,not even a trans tune as far as i know.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
subscribed

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a v8 also but this is really cool stuff post away please!

·
Ass or Cash. Get in.
109 Posts
The only reason timing chains were stretching is because the oil life monitors on the car were too prolonged, and owners who didnt subscribe to the "oil change every 3000m/5000km" philosophy would run they're oil down to the 5% and further territory. This in turn would not provide proper engine oil performance and hence would alllow the chains to become excessively hot and improperly lubricated, causing them to stretch and or break. I believe GM offered a reflash to fix the oil life indicator issue.

·
Premium Member
10,254 Posts
5500 converter?

Is that a typo?

Why so high?

·
452rwhp LY7
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry , just read your last post about the trans,didnt read before,my bad!
Curious about the shift kit,converter and tune thou.
I gave her the shift kit to assist in racing her on the track which will be the plan for the car in the near future... The manualised auto is very responsive i.e. gear shifts are instant, and it makes her a lot of fun to drive. Nothing too fancy or difficult to do here, although I've got the 4 speed which is also far easier to tune, the 5 speeds are a bit more difficult. If you have any specific questions let me know. I'll explain the high converter below in response to zepcom.

5500 converter?

Is that a typo?

Why so high?
When this car was completed and ready for tuning the last thing we were waiting on was for the trans to come back. We were going for a 4000 converter originally as we were confident this was big enough to get it out of the hole off the line, but due to circumstances at the time we were going to have to wait a bit, the 5500 converter was ready to go and we wanted to start tuning...

Due to future plans with this car (upgrade engine internals and a bigger turbo) the 5500 will probably be just what we're looking for... Either way, at the moment the 5500 converter is working and feels fine to drive.

·
Registered
456 Posts
This thread is what I've been waiting for...

-Dennis-

1 - 20 of 57 Posts