Pontiac G8 Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Facebook Moderator
1,452 Posts
is it really true how bad our transmissions are? (5spd Auto)

·
452rwhp LY7
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
is it really true how bad our transmissions are? (5spd Auto)
Someone will figure out the tuning at some point, just not sure when... But they aren't the strongest of boxes either as I understand it, so when the mods start to stack up you'll reach a point when the 5 spd just isn't going to cut it... You can continue to wait for tuning options (but that may be quite a while) and that will give you more flexibility to strengthen the stock 5 spd. Or, if you wanna get really serious just go all out on the mods and throw in a nice glide to suit ;)

I myself (even though I have a 4 spd I could probably strengthen a bit more than I have already) may be doing this in the very near future...

Sorry I don't have any real constructive things to tell you about the 5 spd auto. The time will come though, just not right now while you want it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Or, if you wanna get really serious just go all out on the mods and throw in a nice glide to suit ;)

I myself (even though I have a 4 spd I could probably strengthen a bit more than I have already) may be doing this in the very near future...

Sorry I don't have any real constructive things to tell you about the 5 spd auto. The time will come though, just not right now while you want it!
Maybe this might be a better question... With other cars and configurations, people have been able to drop in a better/stronger transmission.

Are there other GM trannies known to fit/work well with the LY7?

I saw there is quite a list of cars that have the LY7 3.6 engine. Obviously something that didn't leave a CEL on forever and works with the displays would be optimal, even if it requires programming.

·
Facebook Moderator
1,452 Posts
How is turbo manifold mounted? You have an exhaust manifold crossing over sides?

·
Registered
1 Posts
If this thread generates any interest I'll provide more info on what we've done with the rest of the car, Pro Flow Fab and Dyno and Performance Manifolds (both Australian based) may be worth searching for which will also provide you some info and contacts.......
I for one would love more information. I'm looking to make a realistic 300whp from an LY7 in N/A form. Based on some research on performanceintakes and a few other sites it should be fairly easy to pull off.

I'd love to pick your brain further and get some direction. If you don't mind sending me your email address, please drop me a message.

Cheers,

JonD

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
subscribed!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Contacted Phil from Performance Manifolds who built the 445hp from stock ly7 alloytech. First you will need $1615 bucks for the CPR6 intake manifold. Second, four Billet Cams for around $2500 bucks and will require a reflash to the ECU. For the glory though you need to upgrade the injectors since they said ours are only capable of supporting only 250rwhp. The Problem with this is possibly taking out a small loan to get all this and have installed, but will do you no good with out someone tuning the vehicle over here in the states.
This was all tested in the Aussie's shop and this thing was reving over 8500k! with all stock internals.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm from Australia and the info I'll share is obviously from Australia, before you all get too excited! I stumbled across this forum randomly (I'm from Oz, why would I read through US forums???) but this time I decided to trawl through it and found that a lot of the questions that have been asked very recently on here we had the answers for a while ago... I guess in Oz we are really leading the way with these things, so maybe what I share here will give you some ideas/encouragement to pursue a build of your own and not give up on these things!

The car in question is a Holden VZ Commodore 2006 (possesses an LY7 that we commonly refer to as an Alloytec)... yes, slightly different to the later model LY7's you have, but everything on my car has been trialled on the newer and current VE Commodore also! Just not to the same extent as mine yet... The VE Commodore is more closely aligned with your latest models, so yes, what you see with my car can be done to yours at some stage... Here's a video (apologies for poor quality) of its latest dyno run, where we achieved 452 rear wheel horsepower... From memory when she was stock it possessed around 180rwhp, so a massive power gain... As far as I know this is the most powerful LY7 around and we've got even bigger plans for her in the near future...

The car has a Pro Flow Fabrications Turbo Kit and upgraded fuel system to suit E85... We have also strengthened the stock transmission somewhat to sustain the higher power which has a 4000rpm converter... Remember, this is a 100% STOCK LY7 engine, no upgrades to the engine itself whatsoever, in other words, these engines are TOUGH...

If you're interested, yes, engine internals available on Oz including cams, pistons, conrods, custom intake manifolds that could get thrown in your engines not a worry...

If this thread generates any interest I'll provide more info on what we've done with the rest of the car, Pro Flow Fab and Dyno and Performance Manifolds (both Australian based) may be worth searching for which will also provide you some info and contacts.......

Hope this at least gives you some ideas, encouragement and sends you in the right direction...
Hey mate is this set up still available and can you direct me where to get this from

·
Premium Member
9,101 Posts
Hey mate is this set up still available and can you direct me where to get this from
[SVZT] 452rwhp LY7 Joined Apr 12, 2012 Last seen Dec 4, 2012

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G8 aka Karma
637 Posts
That's a damn shame...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm from Australia and the info I'll share is obviously from Australia, before you all get too excited! I stumbled across this forum randomly (I'm from Oz, why would I read through US forums???) but this time I decided to trawl through it and found that a lot of the questions that have been asked very recently on here we had the answers for a while ago... I guess in Oz we are really leading the way with these things, so maybe what I share here will give you some ideas/encouragement to pursue a build of your own and not give up on these things!

The car in question is a Holden VZ Commodore 2006 (possesses an LY7 that we commonly refer to as an Alloytec)... yes, slightly different to the later model LY7's you have, but everything on my car has been trialled on the newer and current VE Commodore also! Just not to the same extent as mine yet... The VE Commodore is more closely aligned with your latest models, so yes, what you see with my car can be done to yours at some stage... Here's a video (apologies for poor quality) of its latest dyno run, where we achieved 452 rear wheel horsepower... From memory when she was stock it possessed around 180rwhp, so a massive power gain... As far as I know this is the most powerful LY7 around and we've got even bigger plans for her in the near future...

The car has a Pro Flow Fabrications Turbo Kit and upgraded fuel system to suit E85... We have also strengthened the stock transmission somewhat to sustain the higher power which has a 4000rpm converter... Remember, this is a 100% STOCK LY7 engine, no upgrades to the engine itself whatsoever, in other words, these engines are TOUGH...

If you're interested, yes, engine internals available on Oz including cams, pistons, conrods, custom intake manifolds that could get thrown in your engines not a worry...

Hope this at least gives you some ideas, encouragement and sends you in the right direction...
Any video of it taking of. Or outside of car as driving

·
Registered
2 Posts
Look, I'm not going to debate the timing chains issue, I'm only stating what GM had informed me. My chains stretched and dropped an engine at 60,000miles, and when warranty replaced the engine after teardown and a diagnosis was made, this is exactly what I was told. My ECM was reflashed at that time, a number of sensors were replaced, and I drove away.
As a technician, and have had dealt with a ton of costumers vehicles having become victim to catastrophic failures of an engine (not just the LY7) due to the fact that yes, they would rather use the provided oil life indicator rather then the "piece of mind every 3000 mile" rule, this particular information provided by GM themselves and they'r tech's made every bit of sense to me.
Regardless of what brand of oil you use or what particular additive boosters you may use, the LY7, and most modern engines are prone to the issue at hand here. I am not aware of your oil change schedule. But if you stick to the classic rule of "every 3k miles", and your timing chains still went at 35k, please do tell, because I might think at that point, of giving my G8 a heart transplant, because that just seems to reveal a product with terrible quality control and a substantial loss of consumer faith.
When i brought my ve it had 70,000km my first timing chain replacement was a month ago at 345,000km. Always ran 98unleaded and changed oil every 15,000km. Used penrite oil for every service. Not a bad result

41 - 57 of 57 Posts