Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm doing the 4l80 swap and i ordered the adapter bracket from rpm and have the energy mount. I went to install the transmission today so that i could figure out where i need to "adjust" the tunnel so that the electrical connector fits.
Well i wasn't happy with using the oeiginal crossmember with only one set of bolt holes and i didnt want to drill holes to be able to use all 4 cross member mounting holes so I came up with this.

It is a direct fit, no adapter needed, just the energy mount. All holes line up and its plenty strong and i think it looks good. This was just a test fit. Im gonna have it powdercoated.

It clears the pan completely and even has tabs for the exhaust hangers.

If your interested in one for your 4l80 swap, pm me.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All done and ready for install. I ended up just painting this one cause im in a rush to get my car going. If any others are made, theyll be powder coated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looks damn good. How bad was the 4l80 swap? What's all involved? I'm thinking of doing this instead of building my 6l80.

·
175 Posts
Nice fab work!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, havent been getting updates.

The 4l80 swap hasnt been horrible but it hasn't been easy either. Mostly because the only info i could find was for the camaro which isnt the same.

Our shifter is different so I didnt do the ahifter mod which means I can only go down to drive. I cant drop down to 3 2 1 but if that ends up being a problem, ill get a different shifter.

Im using the PCMofNC controller for the TCM. Its plug and play, have to splice in 2 wires and comes with an oem PCM.

The camaro crossmember didnt work, too narrow, and our stock crossmember would only line up with 2 holes so thats why I made the crossmember to directly bolt in using all 4 mounting bolts.

I had to make room for the 4l80 connector that goes in the side of the trans. Some people cut out the tunnel, i used a BFH and clearanced it enough to fit. It didnt take a whole lot.

I used a DSS driveshaft and ran into an issue. My 4l80 is a 1994 and has an oring on the output shaft, like the ones that use a bolt on yoke, only my output shaft wasnt threaded. So i had to have the yoke on the DSS driveshaft counterbored. No biggie, it was $20 to have done.

I went with a circle D converter, that thin is like a piece of art.

If you have any other questions, let me know. This has been a pain in the a$$ and it seems like most people dont want to share thier 4l80 swap experience. Im not sure if its because its such a PiTA that they dont want to share, or because they had someone else do the work so they cant share.

Ive done all my own work from motor assembly to the 4l80 build and install and even though it has been quite the experience, i dont mind sharing.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let me know when, I can get another crossmember done. Only takes a couple of days from start to finish with powdercoating.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Good thread and nice work! I've done a few TH400 swaps which line up with the OEM crossmember. Its good to know the 4L80 fits in there without too much hassle.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank!

One thing i forgot to mention was the "ear" on the 4l80. It has a tab the sticks out on one side and i trimmed that off too. Thats also stated in the "how to" for the camaro.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Looking great man! This one is definitely going to be a party. Didn't know u had such fabbin skills.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, but these arent my fab skills. I came up with the design, took the measurements, made a template and my buddy brought it to life with his plasma table and pipe bender. He made a jig so he can knock out some more of these if needed and saved all the files for the plasma table.

If you need anything custom made, let me know STAGEUP. Hes a good friend with cheap labor.
Custom cage is next.

·
Registered
25 Posts
How is the PCMofNC controller ? How easy is it to tune? How much power are you pushing? Did you do any work to the 4l80? I'm gathering my parts together to get started on this. Shoot me a pm with payment info. I'll take one.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like it so far. It comes with just a stock tune in the controller but its a GM tcm so you tune it just like you would any transmission in hptuners.
My 4l80 was a 94 out of a suburban so it already head the 34 element sprag. I just did borg warner high energy clutches, and the hd2 shift kit, and replaced all the seals.
I dont know how much power the car makes yet. I got it together, put about 300 miles on it and found my procharger was leaking so im in the process of resealing that before it gets tuned.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Procharger is all back together. Have about 500 miles on the car now. Still waiting on tuning.
Only issues so far is that at highway speeds my trans runs warm. Ill be switching to a bigger cooler in a week or two.

Im wondering if at highway speeds, if theres a vacuum under the spare tire well and thats causing it to run warmer than i would like? Around town i could drive all day without it running hot.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Crossmember for 4L80e

Is it still possible to order the crossmember? I am replacing the 6L80e with a 4L80e using the PCM of NC harness.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts