Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a v6 G8 that I'm trying to swap into a 5.3l. Is there any major differences between the v8 and v6 g8s that could make this swap more difficult ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol I know how they look. What I'm asking is if there is any difference in the cars body

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What parts would I have to change in order for the engine to fit and function properly

·
Registered
498 Posts
Probably the accessory drive, oil pan, intake manifold, random sensors here and there, etc. I think the ECM would work since they're both Gen IV, but I would guess at least a GT harness or something along those lines.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Look in older threads for Hazers Oreo V6 to V8 swap.
He has successfully done a V8 swap. I don't can't remember if he put in a 5.3, 6.0 or 6.2. His thread is a rather lengthy one as he found and worked out problems.
In the long run may be cheaper and less time consuming to find yourself a GT or GXP than go thru with a swap but if your up for a challenge have at it.
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I am betting the details are going to add up... little stuff like the rad, A/C condenser, A/C control (I believe the V6 has a standard clutch A/C compressor while the V8 is a clutchless PWM controled compressor.) The wiring harness yes but may also need a V8 fuse box. You will need all of the V8 accessory drive... and that's just under the hood. You'll need a trans and a driveshaft. And then shifter linkage for the new trans.

It will be an undertaking - that's for sure. Have you considered a V6 turbo build? Might actually be cheaper and less work! You'll be blazing a path there, too, but with far less details to iron out. The devil is in the details on engine swaps... that I know from experience.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have fallen in love with my G8 and I really don't want to let go of it however the engine has been causing too many issues over time so over the years I saved up money and bought the 5.3l engine and the transmission. So I'm determined to swap it into a v8 no matter the cost. After all it will be a fun project

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I already contacted Hazer. Hopefully he has the time to get back to me

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts
Someone asked Hazer this question on Facebook recently, his response was sell it and buy a GT.

To make this easier on yourself, find a wrecked GT donor to swap all the needed parts out of.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I took the car to multiple shops trying to figure out what other parts I need to make the swap. Pretty much everything in the car needs to change....
New fuel lines, differential, driveshaft, wire harness, and a new radiator. All the shops have gave me an estimate of $3k just for labor. It's going to be a pain in the ass but it has to be done...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I looked into doing the same thing for a while and if you want to actually talk on the phone to somebody who has done it before look up lefthandutes.com I think.. And talk to Randy I'm not am totally sure if that's his name but I think it is.. He has done one before. Basically your best and easiest option is to find a wrecked GT and swap everything over.

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts
So I took the car to multiple shops trying to figure out what other parts I need to make the swap. Pretty much everything in the car needs to change....
New fuel lines, differential, driveshaft, wire harness, and a new radiator. All the shops have gave me an estimate of $3k just for labor. It's going to be a pain in the ass but it has to be done...

And for what that's gonna cost, you could sell it and buy a GT. Your money and car though, good luck with it.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
I have a question just out of curiosity, why a 5.3L instead of something bigger?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was gonna go ahead and get the LS3 engine but the 5.3 just came to me. A friend of mine had bought it for a project but never used it so he pretty much gave it to me free.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It wasn't free but it was really cheap compared to buying one online. I think it's a 2014

1 - 20 of 31 Posts