Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Charger 5.7 into v6 G8

I'm been thinking about if it would be possible to swap my v6 engine for a charger 5.7 engine I found. I need to know things like would it fit and could it actually be daily driven without problems.

If there are problems I'd appreciate if someone could let me know if there is a v8 engine that would possibly work.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm been thinking about if it would be possible to swap my v6 engine for a charger 5.7 engine I found. I need to know things like would it fit and could it actually be daily driven without problems.
If there are problems I'd appreciate if someone could let me know if there is a v8 engine that would possibly work.
Thanks in advance.
With the right mechanic and some creativity, it's possible, MOPAR engines have been stuck in GM cars before. A straight GM engine swap would probably be much easier, as far as parts compatibility, wiring harnesses and so forth. So far at least 2 V6s have been swapped to V8. If you go forward with the build keep us updated, I want to do the same eventually so I want to learn as much as I can.

·
F1rehawk
806 Posts
Well if you got the engine for free labor cost is less of an issue! Good luck with the build. I would just sell the engine and the car and buy a GT but some people like to make their life a little harder ;)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Bro we haven't seen this guy for almost two years.. I'm pretty sure he gave up on it. Makes no sense to swap when you could just buy a GT.... if you're gunna do a swap, swap a T6060 into a GT. That's what I wanna do to mine, years from now (eventually).

And a 5.3L?? was he looking for the MOPAR or ford forums? 5.3L... that's like a caddy or truck motor in GM country sonny boy....

·
Registered
2 Posts
It wasn't free but it was really cheap compared to buying one online. I think it's a 2014

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What ever did happen Chris I am currently trying to do the same but don’t know exactly what and what would I need !!! I’d you can get back to me and let me know how your project ending up ????

·
Premium Member
4,760 Posts

·
F1rehawk
806 Posts
What ever did happen Chris I am currently trying to do the same but don’t know exactly what and what would I need !!! I’d you can get back to me and let me know how your project ending up ????
If you have no idea what you're up against, I would call it quits already. Buy a GT.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I plan on doing the very same thing. Several people have done it and have been been very successful. No, it won't be cheap but I do have several advantages being a mechanic that can work on his own vehicles at the shop I work at.

I'll be going with a 6.0 or 6.2 though.

My G8 has a lot of sentimental value to me. It was a early inheritance gift from my mother who passed this past 4th of July. I fell in love with this car the minute I saw it and I absolutely love driving it...even with the V6 engine. I try to take care of it as good as I can and I go out of my way to keep it looking and driving as good as possible.

So that's really the only reason I don't just trade it in for a GT. I will drive it with the V6 until it dies, but I'm hoping it lasts for a while. It had 86k on it when I got it and it currently has 95k. The timing chains were replaced at 83k, just a few thousand miles before I got it. It was a one owner car that was only driven in the summer.

I've done some mods to it and it has been tuned. I enjoy driving it and can only imagine how it would be with a 6.0 or 6.2 in it.

Here's a pic when I first got it and another of how it looks now. IMG_20181030_152210.jpg IMG_20190629_181750.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,760 Posts
My G8 has a lot of sentimental value to me. It was a early inheritance gift from my mother who passed this past 4th of July. I fell in love with this car the minute I saw it and I absolutely love driving it...even with the V6 engine. I try to take care of it as good as I can and I go out of my way to keep it looking and driving as good as possible.

So that's really the only reason I don't just trade it in for a GT. I will drive it with the V6 until it dies, but I'm hoping it lasts for a while. It had 86k on it when I got it and it currently has 95k. The timing chains were replaced at 83k, just a few thousand miles before I got it...
Certainly an ambitious project and were it not for sentimental value don't think the juice is worth the proverbial squeeze. At least from a personal standpoint. There are timing chains on the V6 and a P0008 does not necessarily necessitate timing chain replscement. Be sure to change the oil regualrly to prevent sludge accumulation and always keep the oil at the full mark on the dipstick.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Absolutely PONY MAN! I change the oil every 3k. Valvoline full synthetic. I've been a Valvoline fan for many years. I realize you can go longer without a oil change if your using synthetic, but I'm old school I guess. I've always stuck to every 3,000 miles.

Putting her away for the winter this Thursday. Sure am going to miss the heated seats!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts