Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G’day,
Saw this posted over on Facebook today, thought it might be some inspiration to the V6 owners out there.
It’s not my vehicle only details is what I have seen in the pics,
It’s a VE Commodore Ute with the 3.6L LFX and 6 speed manual
Made just over 500rwhp on 14psi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
wonder what the torque level is....expensive way to make power, but I like it for the "doing it differently" factor.

To put this in perspective, the TTV6 racing engine that was under consideration by Holden for VASC (and now reportedly abandoned) would be in the 650HP range. Not sure of the racing version's displacement, but 500HP is fairly low stress level for the 3.6L, it would seem to me.

for comparison: https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/models/f150-raptor/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhML1n-Tp2gIVhjqBCh0CJwSuEAAYAiAAEgIOR_D_BwE&searchid=757580068|39974975196|302688169405|&s_kwcid=AL!2519!3!209479025490!e!!g!!2018%20ford%20raptor&ef_id=WmuxMgAAALgRLSKh:20180503144630:s

·
Vendor
400 Posts
That's a lot of custom fab work. No doubt an expensive way to make power

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
U can swap in a cammed ls3 for less and be faster. More reliable too.

No thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,649 Posts
A very ambitious project and wonder if the bang/buck ratio made it all worthwhile? :dunno:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bang for buck, I doubt it’s worth it, the turbo kit is $8k aus , it’s different and why be a sheep and follow everyone else by LS swapping it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
896 Posts
Impressive. It's cool to see other people trying different things. Not the route I would have gone, but kudos to them for trying it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
bang for buck? it's not too bad was worth it, i only did if for something different and i had launched the old engine so it went from there. it makes 700rwnm of torque. the 630hp v6 TT supercar thats flywheel horsepower i believe, so there around the same HP, but i don't know about the torque.

·
Registered
51 Posts
bang for buck? it's not too bad was worth it, i only did if for something different and i had launched the old engine so it went from there. it makes 700rwnm of torque. the 630hp v6 TT supercar thats flywheel horsepower i believe, so there around the same HP, but i don't know about the torque.
So many people get wrapped up in paper racing that they forget the whole point of the hobby is to have fun and to push yourself. The easiest way to do something isn't the point. A tip of the hat to you! Personally, I like NA power, but my wife is a turbo fanatic and just loves the drama and all the moving parts. She already wants to put a small turbo on the G8...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah I had already been N/A had all the bolt on`s cams etc and then I had a turn of events and turbos where the best idea plus I have a nitrous kit for it next. And I was over everyone LSing everything I wanted to do something no one else in Australia was doing with the LFX, thanks mate I'm pretty happy about it

·
Registered
51 Posts
I suggest two.
Why's that? One would spool quicker, and, at low boost would be nearly immediate. More efficient, too. Exhaust routing would be the biggest hangup, but the intake tubing would be far less crowded than a twin setup leaving room to have a forward-mounted turbo. One turbo is also half the price of two, usually.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Why's that? One would spool quicker, and, at low boost would be nearly immediate. More efficient, too. Exhaust routing would be the biggest hangup, but the intake tubing would be far less crowded than a twin setup leaving room to have a forward-mounted turbo. One turbo is also half the price of two, usually.
Ok.

·
Premium Member
4,649 Posts
Will comment once more and move on. Am not one to pour an extensive amount of money into modifying most V6 vehicle's. Sure the cost is not as drastic using spare parts, time, and the ability to reduce labor costs, but in the end is the juice worth the squeeze? Own a G8 V6 and didn't purchase it to "smoke the tires" nor "fly down the road". To each their own as it pertains to vehicle modifications, including but not limited to, ricers, donut dragsters, and high-powered Prius's. However, had I said the individual was wrong for doing it, then that's a completely different story. Great things worked out with the build.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Great idea,I like it but the cost is a little too much, I have been researching the procharger but it still is $8000.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts