Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Planning on doing a transmission flush in my garage next week. Went to Napa Auto and picked up some DEXRON VI and a filter/gasket kit.

Just wondering if anyone has done this and if anyone knows if it matters that the gasket is rubber as opposed to the metal/rubber gaskets used on the BMW 5L40E.

Also, does anyone know how to pop off the transmission supply line that runs into the radiator? In the service manual, it says to use AU-525. Dealer wouldn't give me a straight answer and claims it's IMPOSSIBLE to do a flush without a machine. Planning on using the supply line to the bucket method and just keep filling the tranny until it runs relatively clear.

Cheers!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hi everyone. Planning on doing a transmission flush in my garage next week. Went to Napa Auto and picked up some DEXRON VI and a filter/gasket kit.

Just wondering if anyone has done this and if anyone knows if it matters that the gasket is rubber as opposed to the metal/rubber gaskets used on the BMW 5L40E.

Also, does anyone know how to pop off the transmission supply line that runs into the radiator? In the service manual, it says to use AU-525. Dealer wouldn't give me a straight answer and claims it's IMPOSSIBLE to do a flush without a machine. Planning on using the supply line to the bucket method and just keep filling the tranny until it runs relatively clear.

Cheers!

Do not use a pure rubber gasket. Those are garbage. The factory metal/rubber gasket is reusable unless the rubber tears away from the metal portion.

The cooler lines can be separated at the radiator at the end of the steel lines easily. You must push the plastic cover that goes over the line back. Then remove the clip and the rubber portion will slide off.

I don't really recommend doing the flush with the method you describe. In fact at our transmission shop I rarely do them. We never push to do them because we prefer to do pan drops and filter changes and fill with new fluid. Some argue that it doesn't get the fluid out of the torque converter but if you let the car sit overnight the torque converter drains half it's fluid back into the pan and
when refilling a unit that takes about 9 quarts id say about 2 will get stuck inside the converter and it's not with doing what you describe if by chance you won't get the fluid in fast enough and the pump runs dry.

It's been done and usually there are no problems but I don't do it that way myself.

As for the gasket, if you want to replace it, get a GM gasket. They are inexpensive and make sure your filter is made by Filtran and not some Chinese aftermarket as I have had cars stop moving on the road test with aftermarket filters.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 3 of 3 Posts