1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it just me or does it sound really "choppy" like its poppingwhen its idling... or is it just the video making it sound like that... cause when you rev it... it sounds good
You are right. At idle it sounds poppy because, I think, as someone on here once explained to me since the center dual muffler allowed both left & right cylinder banks to mix to some degree, like an H or X pipe, you are hearing both L & R banks firing separately so there is no detonation overlap.

Personally, I like it. To me, it sounds nasty at idle. Sounds good at higher revs, but no drone or interior noise at all.

·
Registered
341 Posts
You are right. At idle it sounds poppy because, I think, as someone on here once explained to me since the center dual muffler allowed both left & right cylinder banks to mix to some degree, like an H or X pipe, you are hearing both L & R banks firing separately so there is no detonation overlap.

Personally, I like it. To me, it sounds nasty at idle. Sounds good at higher revs, but no drone or interior noise at all.
If the left and right mix then it is not a true dual.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Is it just me or does it sound really "choppy" like its poppingwhen its idling... or is it just the video making it sound like that... cause when you rev it... it sounds good

Characteristic of "true dual" exhaust as the left and right banks in effect have independent exhaust systems. The sound is much more pronounced when the stock mufflers are replaced for more aggressive aftermarket units.

The solution is to replace the resonator with a balance pipe such as a H-Pipe or X-Pipe. The balance pipe allows each cylinder firing to have two exhaust paths to follow which promotes a smoother tone and improved exhaust scavenging.

H-Pipes help to produce a deeper more muscular rumble sound while X-pipes are slightly higher pitched exotic roar. Each type has a very strong following and it is totally a matter of personal preference.

Pick your poison...............

EDIT: The stock dual-in / dual-out resonator does not allow for any mixing of the left and right banks. There are bulkhead walls that form seperate chambers with the resonator that do not allow cross flow.

enter exibit a: http://ls2gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114481&highlight=resonator+final+report

The above is for the GTO resonator which is made by Walker (parent company of Dynomax) which also make the G8 exhaust. Once I get a G8 resonator in hand, i'll be cutting it open as well.

S.F.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Characteristic of "true dual" exhaust as the left and right banks in effect have independent exhaust systems. The sound is much more pronounced when the stock mufflers are replaced for more aggressive aftermarket units.

The solution is to replace the resonator with a balance pipe such as a H-Pipe or X-Pipe. The balance pipe allows each cylinder firing to have two exhaust paths to follow which promotes a smoother tone and improved exhaust scavenging.

H-Pipes help to produce a deeper more muscular rumble sound while X-pipes are slightly higher pitched exotic roar. Each type has a very strong following and it is totally a matter of personal preference.

Pick your poison...............

EDIT: The stock dual-in / dual-out resonator does not allow for any mixing of the left and right banks. There are bulkhead walls that form seperate chambers with the resonator that do not allow cross flow.

enter exibit a: http://ls2gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114481&highlight=resonator+final+report

S.F.
That's right Mr. Fox......You were the one who explained that to me a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yikes, I do NOT like that sound. Makes it seem as if something's about to explode.. or at least fall off. :eek2:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sounds like it dropped about 5 cylinders!:eek2: I have never heard that sound on any car. Sorry, just my opinion but I dont like it.

·
AFM Master
1,323 Posts
Sounded like plug wires were crossed, or something broke. I'll leave my resonator on there for now.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sounded like plug wires were crossed, or something broke. I'll leave my resonator on there for now.
Second that... I believe I'll be waiting till I get my H-Pipe from S.F. before I remove the resonators...

·
US Ute whore
1,801 Posts
Tell the guy with the Harley to turn that bike off. :p That sound doesn't appeal to me. But, I do give you an "A" for experimenting. At least your test will allow others to hear what a potential mod would sound like before they do it. Oddly enough, after I had the resonator removed from my GTO, it didn't change the sounds that much. :sneaky:

·
Longtime Member
1,556 Posts
:eek2: ...

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Somebody requested that video, & your wish is my command...............NOT!!!!!!!!

Your'e all missing the most important point. It's MY car and I like the sound. :rolleyes:

End of story. (Ain't this a great country we live in? Everyone is free to have their own opinion). :bootyshake:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Somebody requested that video, & your wish is my command...............NOT!!!!!!!!

Your'e all missing the most important point. It's MY car and I like the sound. :rolleyes:

End of story. (Ain't this a great country we live in? Everyone is free to have their own opinion). :bootyshake:

:dunno: Are you being serious???

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
About this Discussion
44 Replies
20 Participants
[email protected]
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing