Pontiac G8 Forum banner

68,000 miles and NEVER washed!

3K views 38 replies 29 participants last post by  Ryans09G8 
#1 ·
Well not exactly - I bought her brand new in August of 2009. It has NEVER been through an automatic car wash! Just couldn't stand the thought of it on the PBM. She has always been washed by these hands and with the Adams touch.

Anybody else? or is my OCD the worst?

#3 ·
I haven't taken a car I've owned in the last 15-16 years through an automatic car wash. My garage looks like the sales shop for Zaino Bros and Adam's. Always by hand, or a quarter car wash to get by.

#5 ·
Same here. My two Pontiacs and the wifes Honda always get hand washed. I may go through the u-do-it with the high pressure wand to get the worst off in the winter time but they never go through the automatics.

#6 ·
Hand wash, or touchless AND rail-less only.

#7 ·
Touchless only for 5+ years in winter time. Warm weather = hand washes only.

#12 ·
Hand wash 98% of the time. I know people have had issues with car washes but I gotta say . I work for a new car dealer and we have a automatic car wash. I've ran brand new cars with black paint through plenty of times and zero issue. Even on the sunniest of days a black car won't show scratches or swirling.I tthink a part of it is if the wash has been maintained properly. I can take her through for free but don't. The car wash misses areas and I'm a little picky. I've taken it through during the winter a couple times . Just can't stand to see a lot of salt on her.

#13 ·
I've had mine washed by the dealer once, never again. I also had the body shop person wash it when it got the dented in door replaced. I had to correct the paint after both times. Other than that it gets either two bucket washes or rinseless type washes.

#14 ·
I stay away from any carwash....

#16 ·
Washing your car actually adds wear, and swirls to your paint. You need to keep washes to a minimum and just try to keep the car as clean as possible.

#21 ·
Nearly impossible to do. My G8 is my only car. I have no garage or place to park it. My parents live on a gravel road and I visit a couple days a week. That and there is so much pollen out, it is impossible to keep clean. I washed it during lunch at noon, and covered in dust by 5.

#18 ·
Hand washed 99% of the time. I do the odd touchless car wash.

The only non-touchless car wash I've been through tricked me: it said it was touchless, but wasn't! I was already lined up when I saw the brushes and just about died. I closed my eyes and cringed at every contact. Thankfully, there was no apparent damage or scraping or anything on the other side.

#19 ·
What's wrong with touchless automatic car wash? I usually do a quick touchless wash to get the dust/dirt off. It's nice to have the air dry instead having to dry by hand too.

#20 ·
Touchless manual high pressure wash in winter, handwash in summer.

#23 ·
Nice gxp anrosphynx.
If I had a gxp ,i might be a little less lazy and do it myself,plus I get a good deal on oil changes from a buddy who has a shop. That helps.
As for wear on the paint. I respectfully disagree. The only thing that happens when you wash your car a lot is it will break down the wax quicker. If your paint is being swirled almost every time you wash it ,I'd check for dirt on whatever you are using to dry your car and or wash mit. Sponge , whatever. I've been detailing for way to long and never had a vehicle of mine have paint issues and I wash my cars often. Especially cause of road salt. I wish I had a lift to get underneath better but that would only be if I got a gxp. This gt I got has been a daily driver for the past two owners and now me ,no garage. So this g8 is a garage queen are over.

#27 ·
My car has never seen the inside of an automatic car wash since I bought it new. Hand washed by me only. But that is pretty easy to do since I store the car in the winter and only drive it on nice days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.