Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a g8 and I cant stand automatics but for now this ones staying in it. Sometimes the shifts are delayed and hard when it finally shifts it seems to search for the right gear when you get on it. Im gonna drop the pan and change the filter and fluid ive read about valve body seals failing is it worth dropping the valvebody to change them has that helped any of your shifting issues. I will be getting it tuned soon but i want to see if its healthy before doing it.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Will just have to how much crap is in the pan when you drop it. What’s the mileage? Tuner box or going to a shop?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its got 120k miles if the trannys full of crap ill either rebuild it or throw it in the trash and go manual. Im getting hptuners pro and was gonna contact pat g for a tune. Ive been reading more and i may order a zip kit from sonnax and replace the center support seals. Im trying to get the car in good shape so i can move ahead with cam headers converter etc. It def needs diff bushings

The first owner was pretty gentle on it supposedly. the 2nd did alot of burnouts but no racing but he only had it for about 6000 miles and now i need to bring it back to where it should be.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I opened up my trans at 155k miles. Perfectly clean inside. I'd just do the Camaro pan and filter (don't change the filter seal) then get it tuned. If you still have issues after that, then look at doing more.

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT 3 pedal, 6.6l, all forged w/ARP, Pedders Xa & BMR stuff, DSS axels, twin disc clutch.
17 Posts
I hear you for this transmission. I pulled mine out and replaced it with a TR6060 from a wrecked GXP. Best decision I made for this car next to the 402 swap. You will not be disappointed with the conversion.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
To the OP, have you even checked the fluid level? It is recommend to slightly over fill it for more consistent performance. I found filling it cold at the stock level is just about right. Then a tune

1 - 6 of 6 Posts