Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished mine in my car. Just wanted to know who else in here has done a 6L90E Swao and what all did you have to do to make it work.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Planning on one. Should be just a shorter driveshaft and a good tune. Are you having other issues?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Why not just keep the 6l80, add a clutch to the 4-5-6 pack and 3-5-r pack, and a billet intermediate shaft. Get two of the hubs tig welded while its apart. With a good tune, should be near bulletproof.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Why not just keep the 6l80, add a clutch to the 4-5-6 pack and 3-5-r pack, and a billet intermediate shaft. Get two of the hubs tig welded while its apart. With a good tune, should be near bulletproof.
Speak to someone who builds them. The hard parts in the 90 are significantly upgraded. I've been told a stock 90 is more stout than a fully built 80.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Speak to someone who builds them. The hard parts in the 90 are significantly upgraded. I've been told a stock 90 is more stout than a fully built 80.

Will cross that bridge when I come to it, likely after supercharger sometime next year.

I do have a spare complete 6L80 in pieces on the bench at the moment, that I’m building up myself.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Idk man... Adam Cooper at ACE Performance builds 6L80s and has several holding 1000+ whp. For $1800 at that.

Reactions: ekt8750

·
Super Moderator
4,905 Posts
A different cross member is also needed correct?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Idk man... Adam Cooper at ACE Performance builds 6L80s and has several holding 1000+ whp. For $1800 at that.
Exactly where I'm going if mine ever goes.

·
Premium Member
5,497 Posts
..Adam Cooper at ACE Performance builds 6L80s and has several holding 1000+ whp. For $1800 at that.
$1800 seems like a pretty good deal. Wonder what specifically (parts wise, etc.) does it entail?

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Internally there are only a few stronger part in the 6L90 over our 6L80. The ‘90 input gear set has 6 pinion gears, ‘80 has only 4. It is a direct swap during a rebuild. Rear gear set has wider gears. 75% of the parts are common between the two trans. The ‘90 main case is 1 3/8” longer so you have to shorten the drive shaft. You are better off upgrading your stock trans. There are billet intermediate shafts, and clutch shells that have the shafts tig welded to reinforce them. Then there is the valve body. You can get the Sonnax Zip kit or buy the valve body from Sonnax rebuilt with the kit and a lifetime warranty. Then the aftermarket has the clutches and steels covered. Add the proper tune and you will break other driveline parts before the trans.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts