Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts

·
OGOC Member
201 Posts
I'm not sure we need an even taller 1st gear... but damn it would be cool! Perhaps people would be switching back to 2.92s lol.

Nick

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
No one has successfully swapped a 6L90 yet, so why all the talk about the 8L90?
cause its the LATEST and GREATEST thing out now :driving:

lol :drink:

·
Fuel Low
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
cause its the LATEST and GREATEST thing out now :driving:

lol :drink:
Well, of course - NEW, SHINY!

But also the 6L90 didn't really offer anything greater than what a built 6L80 does, so what's the point of the 90? The 8L90 is faster shifting, stronger, lighter, more gears for potentially better 1/4 mile times and maybe even better MPG. These are the reasons why we are excited about the new transmission.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Well, of course - NEW, SHINY!

But also the 6L90 didn't really offer anything greater than what a built 6L80 does, so what's the point of the 90? The 8L90 is faster shifting, stronger, lighter, more gears for potentially better 1/4 mile times and maybe even better MPG. These are the reasons why we are excited about the new transmission.
all minor since our cars WERENT engineered for mileage ! cars alot older than ours got better mileage , by a large margin !!!

·
Fuel Low
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
all minor since our cars WERENT engineered for mileage ! cars alot older than ours got better mileage , by a large margin !!!
Huh? You mean lighter, faster, stronger are minor improvements?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Why is there always so many naysayers when it comes to somethnic like this?... I'm doing this in my jeep soon and I doubt it is impossible in the G8 if so eine really wanted it...

·
Registered
525 Posts
Well I looked at one in a 2wd pick up. Look identical to the 6l80 I pulled out of my g8. I didn't have any way to take a measurement or anything but is close enough.
And I'm sure someone can come up with a way to control it. The final gear ratio is close enough to the 6 speed I don't think it's a big benefit.
But for your people looking to get better strip times I think there's better places for your money. The fastest drag cars have how many gears? 4 tops.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I recall to make it work would require swapping in LT1 engine & later controllers ECM/TCM, at least....Spears (Speartech) would know, but don't think it can be done just as trans....it's a nice thought - 4.56 first gear, who needs a higher rear gear (than 2.92)....a Camaro 218mm axle with 3.27 might be lots of fun, or it might make 1st gear useless. Corvette LT1 has a standard 2.41 rear axle, I recall, and it's still quick, so 3.27 could be too much. Aftermarket does offer a 3.08 ratio 218mm R&P to fit Camaro diff., that's about all that would be needed with 4.56 first gear.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts